Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 04:19 PM

191 posts, read 180,860 times

Advertisements

60 mph is a SLOW pitch of a baseball sized rock, folks! It's 90 fps, and if a man throws that rock at you from 10 ft away, guess how much time you have to get out of the way, hmm? .11 second. you can't even react to a "beep" of a timer and pull a trigger in less than .20 second, nobody can, and you 'think" you can react and move your entire BODY in .11 second? Not a chance in hell, folks. Thown items (at the HEAD) STILL make the guy duck/dodge/block the items and it distracts from his ability to properly control a gun. When THREE guys charge a man, EACH of them throwing 2 items, such as shoes, at the man as they charge, from say, 15 feet, he is NOT going to be able to react, traverse his gun at least twice, and hit all 3 of those men, with powerful enough loads, getting good enough hits, in the 1.5 seconds or less it will take ONE of them to tackle him. People who have no shooting timers, no experience in the martial arts, no IDEA of how fast you have to be, etc, will always blow raspberries at such statements as this, but I stand ready to prove them incorrect, any time, with BIG money riding on the bet.

REALLY fast pitches are 90 mph, folks, 135 fps, and an adrenalin filled man just MIGHT get his arm moving that fast, once or twice, to save his life, eh? Might charge a bit faster than in a mere test, too, think? :-) u CAN'T traverse a gun, react, or recognize a threat, make a decision, etc, faster than the times I have outlined. they are limited by human nerve tissue and the connections between those nerve cells.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 04:59 PM

5,944 posts, read 5,583,949 times
Quote:
60 mph is a SLOW pitch
60mph would be slow for a major league pitcher. Most folks couldn't reach that speed with their best throw.

Old 08-18-2011, 03:27 AM

645 posts, read 1,276,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by giney12 View Post
60 mph is a SLOW pitch of a baseball sized rock, folks! It's 90 fps, and if a man throws that rock at you from 10 ft away, guess how much time you have to get out of the way, hmm? .11 second. you can't even react to a "beep" of a timer and pull a trigger in less than .20 second, nobody can, and you 'think" you can react and move your entire BODY in .11 second? Not a chance in hell, folks. Thown items (at the HEAD) STILL make the guy duck/dodge/block the items and it distracts from his ability to properly control a gun. When THREE guys charge a man, EACH of them throwing 2 items, such as shoes, at the man as they charge, from say, 15 feet, he is NOT going to be able to react, traverse his gun at least twice, and hit all 3 of those men, with powerful enough loads, getting good enough hits, in the 1.5 seconds or less it will take ONE of them to tackle him. People who have no shooting timers, no experience in the martial arts, no IDEA of how fast you have to be, etc, will always blow raspberries at such statements as this, but I stand ready to prove them incorrect, any time, with BIG money riding on the bet.

REALLY fast pitches are 90 mph, folks, 135 fps, and an adrenalin filled man just MIGHT get his arm moving that fast, once or twice, to save his life, eh? Might charge a bit faster than in a mere test, too, think? :-) u CAN'T traverse a gun, react, or recognize a threat, make a decision, etc, faster than the times I have outlined. they are limited by human nerve tissue and the connections between those nerve cells.
“Here’s the wind up – Pitch – fastball!”

Here’s the problem with your scenario, you’re forgetting that we can see the person winding up to throw something, and we can react accordingly. For example, in your scenario, you challenge that we cannot react quick enough to dodge something being thrown at us from 10 feet assuming that the average person can throw an object fast enough and accurately enough to knock us out. I have three big issues with that.
1. Few people can throw and object that’s sharp enough and accurately enough to hit vital areas.
2. 2. Few people can throw an object accurately that’s heavy enough to one shot stun/kill me
3. In 1/4th the time it takes to wind up and throw with your all, I will cover that ten feet and pummel you.

It’s called, “Here’s the wind up” for a reason, it takes a major league pitcher a few seconds to wind up and throw the ball 90 mph. Moreover, you’re assuming that they can do that on flat ground. They’re standing on a pitcher’s mound for a reason. It gives them more mechanical advantage as they step down off it during their final fling.

I know absolutely nothing about ball sports. I’ve never played them, but even I understand the principals. Moreover, you cannot compare seasoned, professional, and amateur softball hardball players with the average person

Old 08-20-2011, 08:34 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
60mph would be slow for a major league pitcher. Most folks couldn't reach that speed with their best throw.
Come on now Wade. Yer missing the point completely man

All gineys thugs are top notch athletes, and they just be thugs as a side line.. None are drug addicts, and all they do is work out all day long, so they can do criminal acts on the weekends man. Get with it here ok?

Old 08-20-2011, 09:02 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,583,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Come on now Wade. Yer missing the point completely man

All gineys thugs are top notch athletes, and they just be thugs as a side line.. None are drug addicts, and all they do is work out all day long, so they can do criminal acts on the weekends man. Get with it here ok?
Yer right, Mac. I shoulda figured it all out myself. These goblins all coulda been MLB pitchers. They just preferred petty crime.

Old 08-20-2011, 11:34 AM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,655,857 times
yeah now ya'll get it, they are all top notch military trained, 10 second-100 yard dash, rush you from a thousand yards while dodging and doing cartwheel athletes....

Old 08-20-2011, 11:57 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
giney12 is at best the #2 teller of tall tales.

Old 08-20-2011, 08:22 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
giney12 is at best the #2 teller of tall tales.
Uh Oh......

Well he don't look like this either!

Old 08-21-2011, 01:41 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
So I guess the moral of this story is to travel in groups and carry plenty of extra shoes to throw. I feel much better knowing that.

Old 08-22-2011, 11:29 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
As a last effort you could always pull the pin on a grenade and hand it to the guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness