Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 04:53 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,687,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrysue View Post
Well, you know what they say about us. We are everyone's worst nightmare - a redneck with an attitude and a loaded gun.
Throw in a bible and you've got the Southern Poverty Law Center's definition of a "homegrown terrorist".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 05:09 PM

410 posts, read 1,107,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrysue View Post
Down here the favorite items to steal are metal. Anything copper, but other metals will do. They loot cemetaries for metal, flower pots especially. On some of the above ground vaults the occupants are listed on brass plaques. I am wondering how long before they start to steal those.

They actually stole the metal parts of some bleachers in a local school!

Of course, the recyclers who buy this stuff claims not to know where it came from!
They love to steal the copper here too, especially out of air conditioning units. They crawl on top of buildings like schools and strip them of the copper then the kids have to sit in sweltering classrooms. Or they steal the copper from the ac's of empty houses. I figure occupied homes will be next.

Old 08-23-2011, 05:28 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times
MUG here Medium sized

Old 08-23-2011, 07:32 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerguy View Post
They crawl on top of buildings like schools and strip them of the copper then the kids have to sit in sweltering classrooms.
As long as they're taking it from government schools, they're just arranging a tax refund.

Children in home schools and private schools are comfortable.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:14 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,627,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
I almost put my dane in their unmarked car, and told him to watch it. Then they would have had to shoot the dog to get their own car back.
Sounds like a "Great" Dane to me! I prefer a Dobie though, this is my kinda home protection.

http://www.thunderstormdobermans.com..._after_jon.jpg

(btw, this is a buddy's kennel, and I LOVE Chief!!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Who you want to chat up being female is MO Gal here, as she is a modern woman with many skills, and guns, and can key you in on what women like best.

I'ld be telling you a 1911 Colt .45 is the only gun that will cut the mustard, and that's wrong.
While, I'm not MO Gal, I am a good old tomboy,prior service USMC, and Army wife, plus general all around Kentucky redneck/hillbilly; and I honestly prefer a 1911.

9mm are smaller and more compact, but lack stopping power, IMO.

Old 08-28-2011, 08:20 PM

191 posts, read 180,842 times
Moderator cut: Personal attack .45's can be considerably less effective than 9mm, depending upon the ammo chosen for each, and I can prove that, on animals. the 100 gr CorBon 9mm jhp is far, far superior to the 230 gr .45 jhp;s, the latter are moving tooslow to expand much, if at all, in flesh and blood. the exit holes look just like the entrance holes. Not so the Corbon 9mm, I can assure you of that. 9mm's that are not traveling at least 1300 fps are not to be relied upon to expand. many lies are told about the .45, but anyone can repeat the tests that i did on possums, coons, chucks, jacks, nutria, dillos, etc, you will see that I am correct. The inventor of the Hydroshok himself, Tom Bryzinski, said that if a hp did not FULLY expand in 2" of jello, it was not going to expand much, if at all regardless of how "deep" the target was. I was shocked to see mere housecats run off after being chest hit with .45 ball, lrn, even swc's. I could not believe that Elmer Keith, Jeff Cooper, etc, had lied so much about the big bores! So I shot feral dogs, figuring that the larger target would absorb more of the .45's energy. Instead, the effect was WORSE! bigger critters can take MORE such shock/momentum, not less! It's a very good thing that men are MUCH less resistant to shock/pain than even small dogs are, cause if that were not the case, pistols would have only "bluff" value.

Last edited by MissingAll4Seasons; 08-28-2011 at 10:29 PM.. Reason: personal attack

Old 08-29-2011, 07:36 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,627,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by giney12 View Post
Moderator cut: Personal attack .45's can be considerably less effective than 9mm, depending upon the ammo chosen for each, ......
And that is YOUR opinion. MY opinion is that a 1911 is one of the best all around pistols. But then again, I'm a Jarhead; I won't DARE fire a handgun with a calibur that DOESN'T start in 4.

Old 08-29-2011, 10:45 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,015,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
If they have a gun and you have a can of Raid, who is going to win?

If he can't handle a weapon.........I would say the wasp spray.........
That stuff shoots twenty feet in a nice tight pattern..........

Old 08-29-2011, 03:08 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,510,437 times
Quote:
If they have a gun and you have a can of Raid, who is going to win?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
If he can't handle a weapon.........I would say the wasp spray.........
That stuff shoots twenty feet in a nice tight pattern..........
Especially if the one with the wasp-spray also has a cigarette lighter.

"Can you say 'field-expedient flame-thrower'? I knew you could!"

Old 08-29-2011, 03:41 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,163,488 times
Personally I won't start to worry about TSHTF until I see food riots by white people in the US.
Quote:
......I need to buy a gun and learn how to use it. How much time do we have? It's also giving me real pause about relocating. I think I might be better off just hunkering down in a familiar place where I know my way around and in a relatively (until now) safe neighborhood, although there was a double homicide a few miles away. Who knows why? Could be something completely unrelated to anything as surveillance cameras were on the house.
I'd say a Glock 9mm for a pistol. Glocks are the most reliable, and work perfectly without tweaking right out of the box. I think you can still get very cheap mil surplus cases of 9mm for practice, and then some of the more expensive self-defense rounds for real. See if you can find a shooting range that lets you rent out various guns to see which suits you best.

If a 12 gauge shotgun using 00 buckshot has too much recoil for you as a woman, then a 20 gauge might be more suitable. Of course it's much easier to buy a long gun than a pistol in terms of rules and regulations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness