Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 07:33 AM

1,080 posts, read 1,272,846 times

Advertisements

I normally think of economic disasters, war, epidemics, when I consider survival. Here I sit at work, my job is considered essential, watching tropical storm Lee wash thru New Orleans.

The wind is so strong that it is blowing the rain sideways. The rain is coming down so hard you can't see thru it, it looks like a silvery curtain. The rain is blowing UNDER the doors and making pools of water in the hallways. Trees are sheding dead branches all over the roads. The usual idiots are driving as tho there is no wind or rain. After all, they are in 4 wheel drive vehicles. A number of them are in the swamps along I-10. It's easy to leave the road when it curves. In this kind of rain you can't always see the road. Driving in the dark, on a blacktop highway, in a driving rain, the water pooled on the road disappears. It's similar to black ice in that you can easily lose control. Unfortunately, I-10 west is bordered by swamps.

Tomorrow everyone will come out, look around, and life will resume. I am looking forward to retiring so I can sit in my house on the top of a hill, and watch the storm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2011, 11:31 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,485,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrysue View Post
I normally think of economic disasters, war, epidemics, when I consider survival.
Me too. I think just about everybody over the age of 5 has had experience with some type of weather event. If they can remember it, they survived it! Yet, not everyone over the age of 5 or 65 is a prepper. This special, rare breed of cat is sensitive enough to detect changes in the economic and political fabric of society. Not so all the rest. They think life will just continue as it now is, ad infinitum. Maybe it will; I hope so!

Old 09-06-2011, 07:09 AM

Default Lee has come and gone

What was it Shakespeare said in Macbeth ' That struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more: it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing'.

Lots of wind and water, levees failed on a minor scale as they were topped by flood waters, people discovered levees would hold water in as well as out. . . . . people complaining that the government isn't doing enough; in the end, nothing learned from the experience.

And, another tropical depression has formed formed off the coast of Africa and is predicted to become a tropical storm later this week.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:26 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,960,110 times
We are getting rain from this Lee, which will probably ruin repairs made, but not yet completed, in VT and NH to roads and missing bridges.
Weather and me just are, and I plan to set up camp in the rain come Thursday, but at 3,000 feet.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:10 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,355,088 times
I think that this winter is going to be a record breaker, in terms of cold...my friend agrees with this, they have a badger, and have never seen as thick of a coat on that animal as he has for this winter. This is really going to be a bad one.

Old 09-08-2011, 06:13 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,686,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I think that this winter is going to be a record breaker, in terms of cold...my friend agrees with this, they have a badger, and have never seen as thick of a coat on that animal as he has for this winter. This is really going to be a bad one.
Odd, I've had that feeling too. This summer was the hottest and wettest in any local's memory. I don't have a badger, but for the past two weeks my cattle have been coming in to be grained (which they rarely do when we are pasturing them, and with this year's overgrown pasture, they have plenty) twice a day, and being very aggressive about the food bowls... They are trying to fatten up. My neighbors kid me about my giant woodpile, but I just smile and keep cutting and stacking...

The weather patterns here portend that there is something in the wind, and it isn't balmy breezes.

Old 09-14-2011, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I hope so..........

Old 09-14-2011, 07:41 AM

Al Gore is still pushing global warming. Don't know why. They won't take back his Nobel prize or the money!

I can't help but wonder tho, if we go into a cooling phase what effect it will have where I live. More hurricanes? Fewer? Snow? More ice storms?

I read a diary where the people described crossing over a frozen Tennessee River. Can you imagine the disruption in our economy if we had a cold spell like that now?

Old 09-14-2011, 05:37 PM

Our economy is shot now........ In NH we need cold winters with snow, for the economy

The south has strange ideas about things like snow. Up here we are rather fond of the stuff.

Old 09-25-2011, 12:22 PM

866 posts, read 1,137,155 times
The biggest problem southerners have with snow is that they think they can drive on it the same way as they do normally...fast and furious... or with 4-wheel drive engaged. DUH

I'm from New York originally, so I know what needs to be done when driving. But you will not find me on the road when it's snowing or icy here in Texas. I value my life too much to risk it here. I spent the bulk of last winter at home because of the crazy people on the roads.

There was plenty of food in the house, and since I didn't need to go to work every day I made it just fine.

I too think this winter will be much worse than last year. Or maybe I'm hopeing it will be. We need a ton of rain to get out of the drought situation we're in... what we don't need is bitter cold temps to go along with it however. That would be bad as the majority of trees here have shallow root systems and break fairly easily in a strong wind or heavy ice situation. We had a lot of downed limbs last winter...surprisingly there were not many power outages however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness