Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2011, 03:07 PM

373 posts, read 635,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
A better question, Why wouldn't they?
Because they never have.

Hitler, and Stalin just adored gun control.

The police are understaffed in the best of times and are under no legal obligation to respond to crime and protect individual citizens.

I have never pulled a gun on anyone, but rest easy knowing violent thieves and pervs don't know that, and sure dont wamt to see the biz end of a gun. Disarm people and it is a field day for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 03:40 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,229,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
I am heartened by the many comments on creative ways to "hide" a food stash so that it can't be found...on the ground. Please be cognizant of the fact that there are satellites up there. When you use "Google Earth" and look at your own place from all different angles, remember that the technology that we are "allowed" to see is very much degraded from what the Gman sees. They can focus on a freckle on your nose with those satellite cameras! My most sincere advice is to get your secretive stuff done either on heavily overcast days (watch above for aircraft) or at night, and watch what kind of light you use, if any.

How sad it is, that we have to now worry about "the eye in the sky" as well as our neighbors! But I often forget about this myself, so I'll throw it out there for those of your who might remember.
watch for aircraft? Is this serious??

Let's assume for a moment there is an 'eye in the sky', Big Brother or whatever is out there watching...do you guys really believe you're significant and important enough that they would be wasting the time and resources to stake out where some isolated rural dweller is hiding some chicken eggs, a cow, and a shotgun? Really?

Old 10-12-2011, 04:24 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post

Let's assume for a moment there is an 'eye in the sky', Big Brother or whatever is out there watching...do you guys really believe you're significant and important enough that they would be wasting the time and resources to stake out where some isolated rural dweller is hiding some chicken eggs, a cow, and a shotgun? Really?
It doesn't really make sense, does it? But the attack on Randy Weaver and his family never made sense from the beginning. The massacre at Mt. Carmel Church in Waco, Texas didn't make sense. Carl Drega died game as they say. But why did they bother him about a minor building code violation in an out of the way cottage in the first place?

The answer to the above three questions is that they decided to prove they could kill without reprisal. They proved it.

The Mt. Carmel massacre ocurred on April 19th, 1993, the 218th anniversary of the Battles of Lexington and Concord, the beginning of the American Revolution. The government message was clear: the revolution was over. The government was now master; citizens were subjects. I've never read this anyplace. But it was obvious.

Old 10-12-2011, 04:34 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
It doesn't really make sense, does it? But the attack on Randy Weaver and his family never made sense from the beginning. The massacre at Mt. Carmel Church in Waco, Texas didn't make sense. Carl Drega died game as they say. But why did they bother him about a minor building code violation in an out of the way cottage in the first place?

The answer to the above three questions is that they decided to prove they could kill without reprisal. They proved it.

The Mt. Carmel massacre ocurred on April 19th, 1993, the 218th anniversary of the Battles of Lexington and Concord, the beginning of the American Revolution. The government message was clear: the revolution was over. The government was now master; citizens were subjects. I've never read this anyplace. But it was obvious.

alot of people know about randy weaver and the goverment massacre at mount carmel, but I am glad someone besides me remembers Carl Drega.

repped you for it too.

Old 10-12-2011, 05:44 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,688,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post

One of my friends - a well-known and professional, multiple-book-published author, with whom I wrote an online preparedness webpage back in 1998-99 - was put on the no-fly list after 9/11. This meant that she could not go to her book signings, her interviews, either out-of-the country nor within it. Fortunately, her publisher and her readers ensure not only that she can travel to where she needs to be (in country, of course) but they continue to follow her via her blog and magazine articles as well.

Another good friend of mine, with whom I worked politically for several years, was outspoken and honest and decent. She was, just this past March, put on the Southern Poverty Law Center's "terrorist watch list". Her webpage and blog - that do nothing but talk about how to plant, harvest, and can everything from vegies thru eggs to meat, find water, use off-grid power sources - have been hacked and destroyed three times since. She is 63 years old, and is a grandmother.

I myself used to receive death threats, have had body-cavity searches when I flew on business and vacation after 9/11 - right after 9/11 I was stopped 6 TIMES in the airports on one trip and searched, all of my suitcases dumped out in full view of other passengers, etc. (Victoria's Secret wasn't much of a secret any more) - because of who I was, the business I was in (teaching folks how to do everything from poll watching to managing political campaigns) and the things I wrote ( I was a weekly political columnist in a daily newspaper).

Since I sold everything and moved, "bought the farm" and am no longer in peoples' faces or publicly trying to change anyone's lives or opinions, I am considered harmless and am not bothered any more. But oh, yes, sweetie, if you 'kick against the pricks' the pricks come after you, with everything they have. Right now I am no problem to anyone; but who knows what I might do or whom I might alienate or enrage or frighten next week, next month, or next year - depending on the political mindset (or who pisses me off enough to come off the farm again)?

Don't believe it if you choose not to. It's kewl. But the more independent you are, the less you follow and do what you are told, the more you cry out, "But... but.. the Emperor isn't wearing any clothes!", the more you think for yourself, the more independent you become, the more you will see folks who rise up to quash you.

But I'm harmless now. Really. Snuggled down, out in the boonies, minding my own business, doing my own thing, not bothering anyone. Move along, nothing to see here... not even the occasional plane out in 'flyover country'. The satellite pics on Google Earth are a couple of years old...

Old 10-12-2011, 05:58 PM

373 posts, read 635,388 times
Default Randy Weaver

There is some evidence that the shot gun was sanded down a fraction of and inch after it left Weaver's hands.

We have lost alot of rights in recent years in the the area of Zoning and Codes. It was not like Drega was involved in drugs or stealing.

I had not heard of Drega until now.

It is interesting how common criminals are often allowed to thrive

http://cluborlov.com/ Dimitri Orlov spent his early years in the old Soviet Union, then later returned to see the end of one of the worst tyrannies in the history of the planet. Like and old rotten tree full of termites it fell over or a human or animal dying a natural death of old age. With out any violence.
So did Eastern Europe. Orlov thinks we are just another side of the same coin.

Last edited by 1957TabbyCat; 10-12-2011 at 06:20 PM..

Old 10-12-2011, 06:17 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
One of my friends - a well-known and professional, multiple-book-published author, with whom I wrote an online preparedness webpage back in 1998-99 - was put on the no-fly list after 9/11. This meant that she could not go to her book signings, her interviews, either out-of-the country nor within it. Fortunately, her publisher and her readers ensure not only that she can travel to where she needs to be (in country, of course) but they continue to follow her via her blog and magazine articles as well.

Another good friend of mine, with whom I worked politically for several years, was outspoken and honest and decent. She was, just this past March, put on the Southern Poverty Law Center's "terrorist watch list". Her webpage and blog - that do nothing but talk about how to plant, harvest, and can everything from vegies thru eggs to meat, find water, use off-grid power sources - have been hacked and destroyed three times since. She is 63 years old, and is a grandmother.

I myself used to receive death threats, have had body-cavity searches when I flew on business and vacation after 9/11 - right after 9/11 I was stopped 6 TIMES in the airports on one trip and searched, all of my suitcases dumped out in full view of other passengers, etc. (Victoria's Secret wasn't much of a secret any more) - because of who I was, the business I was in (teaching folks how to do everything from poll watching to managing political campaigns) and the things I wrote ( I was a weekly political columnist in a daily newspaper).

Since I sold everything and moved, "bought the farm" and am no longer in peoples' faces or publicly trying to change anyone's lives or opinions, I am considered harmless and am not bothered any more. But oh, yes, sweetie, if you 'kick against the pricks' the pricks come after you, with everything they have. Right now I am no problem to anyone; but who knows what I might do or whom I might alienate or enrage or frighten next week, next month, or next year - depending on the political mindset (or who pisses me off enough to come off the farm again)?

Don't believe it if you choose not to. It's kewl. But the more independent you are, the less you follow and do what you are told, the more you cry out, "But... but.. the Emperor isn't wearing any clothes!", the more you think for yourself, the more independent you become, the more you will see folks who rise up to quash you.

But I'm harmless now. Really. Snuggled down, out in the boonies, minding my own business, doing my own thing, not bothering anyone. Move along, nothing to see here... not even the occasional plane out in 'flyover country'. The satellite pics on Google Earth are a couple of years old...

That's wicked.... I get helicopter fly bys at harvest each year. I suppose they are looking for the wildwoodsland weed.

Once a recon plan crashed and the guys were killed checking out a Voo I attended. Evidently the goobs have a little problem with us Skinners sometimes. Too bad people had to die.

The last time i flew I was pretty embarresed to have to remove my steel toe Cherokee engineer boots. These are 16 inches tall, and don't pull off so easy with hot sweaty socks. I was worried that once i had them off I would be arrested for as a terrorist for the stink

I use, or will if given a chance the weapon the Goobs gave all of us.

You might like to get this as a pdf file for future printings.

'Public Servant's Questionnaire'
Public Law 03-579

I just love that one

Old 10-12-2011, 06:48 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,622,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
That raises an interesting point in my mind about "invisibility", which I mentioned briefly in the "Gated Community" thread.

My background is being a martial arts instructor for 35+ years, and in the course of that work I lived through the ninja phenomenon. Starting sometime in the early-to-mid '70's everywhere you went there were ninja nuts trying to climb sheer walls, walk on water and become invisible at will. Silly Hollywood stuff, right?

Thing is, when you investigate deeper you find that the principles of these fairytale feats are actually sound - in fact, they are still used by modern military / covert action groups. In regards to invisibility, it isn't some magical ability but common-sense combined with some decent woodcraft and (for modern times) figuring out how to blend in physically and psychologically.

One of the biggest concerns these days is computer privacy and ID protection. This is really nothing more than becoming invisible to your enemies. Ask any decent hacker about covering their tracks, hiding their IP address, etc. and they can regale you with hours worth of information.

Any good hunter could tell you about camouflage; any good skip-tracer can tell you about convincing cover stories. Give your opponent what they expect to see and hide your true self. A useful ability, I would think, when TSHTF.

Sounds like you're a past-master at this - my respects.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:46 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,229,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post

One of the biggest concerns these days is computer privacy and ID protection. This is really nothing more than becoming invisible to your enemies. Ask any decent hacker about covering their tracks, hiding their IP address, etc. and they can regale you with hours worth of information.

Any good hunter could tell you about camouflage; any good skip-tracer can tell you about convincing cover stories. Give your opponent what they expect to see and hide your true self. A useful ability, I would think, when TSHTF.
You know what's even more effective?

Not making enemies in the first place. I sincerely can't think of a single person or entity who may be interested in tracking down what I'm doing in real life or online.
No one cares, 'cause I have zero interest in taking on anything that would merit that kind of negative attention.

Yeah, I know, it's because I'm a sheepie . But I like that way.
Baa

Old 10-12-2011, 08:02 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
Evilwon, you don't need to make enemies, they will find you, any time you show any weakness.

I have seen peoples houses burn and then be plundered for that weakness. Same thing at car crashes. Any weakness makes you a target.

Id theft is big because people trust the card taker to not run his/her own reader.

Me: I use cash, let them read that. The problem with cash is it gets attention in higher amounts and or it can be lost, stolen or misplaced. Not to mention it ain't hardly worth squat.

It's a good bet that unless you buy gold, silver, or guns the money you have invested today will be worth less than it will be in the morning.

So far, your the first one in here that is proud to be helpless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness