Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 07:53 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,934,552 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any suggestions for how/where to buy a safe? I want a safe that is fire proof AND burglar proof. I went online, but got completely overwhelmed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 07:55 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,934,552 times
Wow, the google ads that show up after you post something like that are too funny. yeah, I'm easily amused.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:41 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,101,230 times
Check your local John Deere dealership. I saw some great safes there at one time. And knowing John Deere's service, they probably deliver and set up.

Old 09-15-2011, 11:00 AM

885 posts, read 1,521,697 times
I'm taken by the bed bunker and their products, if I ever needed one I'd go there. I asked the fellow and few questions and he was really cool. Shipping is no problem.

BedBunker Concealed Gun Safe

Old 09-15-2011, 06:56 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,961,276 times
There is no such thing as fire proof, but you can delay ruined items measured in hours @ certain degrees. The question is how big do you need it, and how much are you willing to spend?

Maybe another question is, if the building burns what fuels are there to create heat?

Usually Gun Safes are pretty good, but not as good as a bank vault, but any of these can fail in a long fire that is hot enough.

Old 09-15-2011, 07:13 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,654,334 times
Best deal around these parts is at Tractor Supply

Old 09-15-2011, 08:14 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,610,392 times
I acquired a Mosler fire safe. Weighs 980 pounds empty. It was damaged on a construction job when it was dropped on it's face and broke off its lever.
I would have to look up the specs on fire safe. I remember it has was supposed to protect contents against a 1500 degree fire for 4 hours and the cool down.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:22 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,686,242 times
Down South I learned the value of metal pipe and cement.
Dig a hole.
Sink a large diameter pipe about 1 - 2 feet down. Pack the dirt around the outside of the pipe tightly so it doesn't move, with an inch or so exposed above the dirt.
Insert a smaller diameter pipe (same length) into the larger diameter pipe, with the same 1-inch lip above. Verrry carefully pour cement in between the two pipes. Pack it down tightly. Allow to dry.
Saw off the upper pipe lips even with the ground. use the outer pipe lip as a mold to pour a cement cap. Cut the smaller pipe lip in half while the cement cap is still wet, bend it and and shove it into the wet cement cap to dry. This gives you a metal handle for the cap.

You can keep dirt packed around this, or as in some places, you can pour a cement floor of a building or garage around it, taking care not to cover your safe opening (usually with a close-built wood frame). It is non-removable and no one knows it is there.

I used to work in a fireworks store that had one of these in the cement floor; we called it the money drop and it was used daily to put in each shift's money and end-shift cashout tape. The owner would come in the next morning and take everything out, count it, and deposit it. One night there was an electrical fire that caused the whole place to go up. Afterward, when everything cooled, he went over to where the money drop used to be, knocked away all of the debris, opened the cement cap - and all of the money and even the receipts were there. Heat rises, dirt cools and disseminates.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:43 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,027,560 times
made my own with tripple thickness 5/8 fire rated drywall. part of the house were even the cops cant find it.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:22 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Traditional guns safes only keep the honest burglars out. The knowledgable ones will be able to get into the safe in short order.

Most safe companies will rate the fire resistance on their websites in terms of temperature and time. Use these to compare different brands.

Check with some of the larger gun shops in your area as well as your larger locksmith shops. Farm & Home stores, sporting goods stores, Sam's Club and other places routinely carry safes. Not all are created equal so do you homework ahead of time as to the quality of construction before making your final purchase.

Liberty Safe - Liberty gun safes, Fatboy gun safe, office safes, specialty safes, fire safes and home safes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness