Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 05:30 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,683,581 times

Advertisements

I have to lean more towards the 'eating as your ancestors did' premise. DH and I both knew that we were predominantly Irish, but it wasn't until recently his geneological tracking proved that we were even from the same area - both ancestral backtracks led straight to County Cork.

DH was raised mostly on processed foods; his mom couldn't cook and believed in the TV dinner ads. So did mine, but I started cooking for the family at the age of 10, and I learned to cook, not merely heat, as well as to grow my own and hunt and fish (and shrimp and crab). I have low cholesterol, and my activity levels are still agrarian/hunting, so my muscles have developed in a way that has resulted in 'a tough old bird' with a heart, lungs, etc that will still be viable even after I die of old age. DH - not so much. High BP, high cholesterol, and a positive aversion to natural home cooked foods... until he married me. Then I worked on his diet, slowly introducing things into it like homemade lard, real butter, and home-grown vegies and meats. It took him a long time (and our ultimate moving to a farm) for him to adapt. When he went into the hospital last year, the docs reaction to his health was not to blame the medications that were slowing his heart and vascular system, but to blame his diet. They took him in and scoped him for a stint. The doc came out and said, "Go home." We looked at him, waiting for it...He said, "I cannot believe this, but there is no plaque in your arteries, no blockages, nothing. It must be the meds that caused your vascular system to slow down!" I got him to admit that the all-natural diet apparently not only was not the problem, but had reversed much of the damage that had been done in DH's youth!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2011, 08:09 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,788,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
You can still get mammoths and mastodons in glaciers. There was an episode on the TV show Northern Exposure a coupla decades ago, where one of the villagers in remote Alaska had found a mammoth buried in ice, and brought a huge chunk of it into his large freezer. He would use a chainsaw to carve out steaks and roasts when he wanted some.
So Woof, why don't you and I go in on one of those and we can fill up our freezers? We'll be so healthy!

Old 10-21-2011, 10:32 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,157,672 times
Sounds great! You can have the rump roasts and the kidneys, while I'll take the rib meat and the liver.

Or ..... do you know how some people stand a chicken up on a can of beer to roast it?

Well, what if we defrosted the whole mastodon, and roasted it that way with a keg of beer? Or maybe we'd need an entire vat of microbrew.

Old 10-22-2011, 06:28 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,788,709 times
Quote:
Sounds great! You can have the rump roasts and the kidneys, while I'll take the rib meat and the liver.

Or ..... do you know how some people stand a chicken up on a can of beer to roast it?

Well, what if we defrosted the whole mastodon, and roasted it that way with a keg of beer? Or maybe we'd need an entire vat of microbrew.
And we can have a party and invite the CD crew--the hull dam shivaree!

I've heard of beercan chicken but it strikes me as the equivalent of eating a fish with its eyeballs still intact--reminds me too much of where it came from.

Old 10-23-2011, 03:29 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,157,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
I have to lean more towards the 'eating as your ancestors did' premise. DH and I both knew that we were predominantly Irish, but it wasn't until recently his geneological tracking proved that we were even from the same area - both ancestral backtracks led straight to County Cork.

DH was raised mostly on processed foods; his mom couldn't cook and believed in the TV dinner ads. So did mine, but I started cooking for the family at the age of 10, and I learned to cook, not merely heat, as well as to grow my own and hunt and fish (and shrimp and crab). I have low cholesterol, and my activity levels are still agrarian/hunting, so my muscles have developed in a way that has resulted in 'a tough old bird' with a heart, lungs, etc that will still be viable even after I die of old age. DH - not so much. High BP, high cholesterol, and a positive aversion to natural home cooked foods... until he married me. Then I worked on his diet, slowly introducing things into it like homemade lard, real butter, and home-grown vegies and meats. It took him a long time (and our ultimate moving to a farm) for him to adapt. When he went into the hospital last year, the docs reaction to his health was not to blame the medications that were slowing his heart and vascular system, but to blame his diet. They took him in and scoped him for a stint. The doc came out and said, "Go home." We looked at him, waiting for it...He said, "I cannot believe this, but there is no plaque in your arteries, no blockages, nothing. It must be the meds that caused your vascular system to slow down!" I got him to admit that the all-natural diet apparently not only was not the problem, but had reversed much of the damage that had been done in DH's youth!
Maybe it was your loving attention that opened up his heart.

Old 11-06-2012, 03:27 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,449,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Wow I just had brown rice for supper last night and read that it is strongly inflammatory! Yeah, I'm trying to watch that too. Thanks for posting.
Long grain brown rice happens to be a staple of the Macrobiotic Diet which has helped millions get rid of cancer permanently. The Macrobiotic Diet of course shares the same components of the Asian diet which is far more healthful than ours. IP-6 a scientifically proven cancer fighting supplement comes from brown rice.

I don't think anyone needs to worry about brown rice. You can start here to learn about IP-6 IP6 Research

Old 11-06-2012, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
You can have your own opinion, but you can't have your own facts. Every medical school in the US teaches normal human functioning and how it is maintained. What you think of as "wellness." Not "zero" as you assert. They do concentrate on illness, but then isn't that your predicate for sending seriously ill persons off to some naturopathic practitioners? To cure the "incurable" diseases? BTW, the term "incurable" is not a term of art in conventional medicine. It is an interpretation of what happens when there is no beneficial treatment for a disease or disorder. If a person is not receiving treatment for a disease from their physician, it is not because they are sentenced to death by their doctor, it is because there is no medical treatment that will help them. And if they drink colloidal silver water that is exactly the same thing - nothing that will help them.
Where are your SOURCES????????????????????? You speak as if you are the PRE-EMINENT AUTHORITY on all Medicine with a HUGE bias towards Allopathic Medicine as THE PANACEA but you rarely if ever offer any sources. PROVE that medical school teaches more than 1 or 2 courses in diet, wellness and natural healing.

Old 11-06-2012, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Dr Andrew Weil is perhaps the best-known of naturopaths. According to wiki,

What does Dr. Weil have to say about colloidal silver?
For starters.....Dr Weil is not a naturopath. He is a medical doctor and knows a little bit about holistic health and lucked out with a best selling book but that is about it.

Part of the problem is in this country is that most people including educated people don't even know that there are different types of medicine. They don't know that in order to become a Naturopath you go to a medical school that teaches a completely different curriculum than what is taught in conventional medical school called Naturopathy. Whereas medical doctors or allopaths study Allopathy. Medical doctors should not be expected to know about diet or herbs or supplements because they aren't trained it it yet people and the media keep turning to them as if they do know about that stuff. The bottom line is, THEY DON'T.

Old 11-06-2012, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
I didn't know that Csilver could cure cancer, do you have a link?
There is no one cure-all for cancer but there are lots of tools experts in Natural medicine use. A good brand of Colloidal silver will do a lot of good things ie get rid of infections including eye infections, stop viruses and bacterial and fungal infections and strengthen the immune system. By itself it will not "cure" cancer.

This thread started out to recommend natural medicines people might want to learn about and use in SHTF type scenarios. So far we've had the typical responses you'd expect when the subject of natural medicine is raised.

We've been discounted by the narrow minded who refuse to consider than anything other than orthodox medicine makes any sense (in spite of the fact that natural medicine has been around since the dawn of time practically and western medicine just decades).

We've heard from those who say they've "tried natural medicine and it doesn't work" (who it is safe to say
didn't know what they were doing when they tried it and didn't go to an experienced practitioner to help them).

We've seen posts from people who have had success with it.

We've seen posts from people who think they know what they are talking about but are thoroughly confused or misinformed.

To put everything in perspective people should read this report compiled by doctors--most being medical doctors who are disgusted with the medical establishment of which they are all a part.

They found as a result of researching their own medical journals that based on only 20% of reported incidents, conventional western medicine is the LEADING CAUSE OF DEATH in this country killing 750,000 people! Those deaths by the way are not accidents but resulted from following the medical doctors advice! Multiply that number by 5 and you'll have closer to the actual number that die. Yet, Americans are SO BRAINWASHED, they call practitioners of natural medicine, who have just as much education and are far more effective helping people get well as Medical Doctors, "quacks"!
http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2004/...i_death_01.htm

The ignorance level even among the educated is AMAZING. I guess we owe it to the dumbing down of Americans which is all part of the plan. If people were smart and knew they could seek out an experienced Naturopath and get rid of their chronic or degenerative disease as opposed to having to medicate to cover up the symptoms, the pharmaceutical companies couldn't sell as many drugs and be as profitable as they are. It is all part of the grand plan. They want people to be dependent on the system so they can CONTROL you. If you know how to take care of yourself or know where to go to find the right kind of doctor (a naturopath) who can actually help you get RID of your disease, you'll no longer need the drugs. Knowing you can get your health back is very empowering. To me it would be highly desirable in a SHTF scenario.

Last edited by emilybh; 11-06-2012 at 04:56 AM..

Old 11-06-2012, 10:29 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,559,730 times
On pet care. I dearly love my vet, she does the best she can, but I have learned over the years to question their recommendations. One example is my dog that loves to play frisbee exhibited a back injury. She appeared to have a pinched nerve that would make her cry out when she moved. She couldn't lay down or get up without screeching in pain. Xrays were taken, but didn't show anything other than a tiny area of inflammation. She was scheduled for surgery, exploratory. I made an apptmt with the head of this clinic, and he thought she might have an infection that settled into her spine. He started her on antibiotics and low n behold she got well. That was a learning experience.
I have purchased The Encyclopedia of Natural Pet Care by CJ Puotinen, which I think is a wonderful source for herbs, supplements, food, flower essences, aromatherapy, cancer treatments, vaccines, A-Z ailments. I will be sending this for xmas gifts.

GreenMedInfo.com is a treasure trove of reliable information for holistic health.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness