Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 11:58 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,551,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
On pet care. I dearly love my vet, she does the best she can, but I have learned over the years to question their recommendations. One example is my dog that loves to play frisbee exhibited a back injury. She appeared to have a pinched nerve that would make her cry out when she moved. She couldn't lay down or get up without screeching in pain. Xrays were taken, but didn't show anything other than a tiny area of inflammation. She was scheduled for surgery, exploratory. I made an apptmt with the head of this clinic, and he thought she might have an infection that settled into her spine. He started her on antibiotics and low n behold she got well. That was a learning experience.
I have purchased The Encyclopedia of Natural Pet Care by CJ Puotinen, which I think is a wonderful source for herbs, supplements, food, flower essences, aromatherapy, cancer treatments, vaccines, A-Z ailments. I will be sending this for xmas gifts.

GreenMedInfo.com is a treasure trove of reliable information for holistic health.
It's good to see your post. Family medical care doesn't just include humans.

Your dog was very fortunate. It's always good to avoid major surgery. My clinic has four vets, the two owners and two others. I have my regular but have seen the others when I had a problem and couldn't get a quick appointment. I also like to continue with the one who began to deal with a particular problem. I'm taking my 13 yo today for his arthritis and to talk about laser treatment. He'll likely get steroids todays as that was a good treatment last summer.

Be very careful of nontraditional care for both humans and animals. Never take so-called natural products or give them to your pets without asking an M.D. or a D.V.M. Never.

Here's a book that every intelligent person with pets should have. A bit of a scientific background helps but it's not necessary.

The Merck Veterinary Manual: Cynthia M. Kahn, Scott Line: 9780911910933: Amazon.com: Books
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2012, 12:37 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,537,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
It's good to see your post. Family medical care doesn't just include humans.

Your dog was very fortunate. It's always good to avoid major surgery. My clinic has four vets, the two owners and two others. I have my regular but have seen the others when I had a problem and couldn't get a quick appointment. I also like to continue with the one who began to deal with a particular problem. I'm taking my 13 yo today for his arthritis and to talk about laser treatment. He'll likely get steroids todays as that was a good treatment last summer.

Be very careful of nontraditional care for both humans and animals. Never take so-called natural products or give them to your pets without asking an M.D. or a D.V.M. Never.

Here's a book that every intelligent person with pets should have. A bit of a scientific background helps but it's not necessary.

The Merck Veterinary Manual: Cynthia M. Kahn, Scott Line: 9780911910933: Amazon.com: Books
I'm surprised at you Happy. Most vets are not very informed about alternatives, other than perhaps massage or acupuncture. They are educated on drugs and invasive treatments. You have to educate yourself on alterntives for your pets sake, unless you go to a holistic or naturopathic vet. It's still worthwhile to educate yourself, your pet is depending on you to make the best decisions for them, not passing the buck to someone else.
Merck, really? Not for my kids.

Old 11-07-2012, 07:53 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,416,459 times
Quote:
On pet care. I dearly love my vet, she does the best she can, but I have learned over the years to question their recommendations. One example is my dog that loves to play frisbee exhibited a back injury. She appeared to have a pinched nerve that would make her cry out when she moved. She couldn't lay down or get up without screeching in pain. Xrays were taken, but didn't show anything other than a tiny area of inflammation. She was scheduled for surgery, exploratory. I made an apptmt with the head of this clinic, and he thought she might have an infection that settled into her spine. He started her on antibiotics and low n behold she got well. That was a learning experience.
I have purchased The Encyclopedia of Natural Pet Care by CJ Puotinen, which I think is a wonderful source for herbs, supplements, food, flower essences, aromatherapy, cancer treatments, vaccines, A-Z ailments. I will be sending this for xmas gifts.

GreenMedInfo.com is a treasure trove of reliable information for holistic health.
Also check out Dr Pitcairn DVM who wrote Natural Health for Dogs and Cats. His book came out before natural health became fashionable. It is a good basic reference that won't steer you wrong. Also look for books on Homeopathy for dogs. Homeopathic remedies (not to be confused with herbs or vitamins or minerals) can be magical for pets and at worst do nothing. They are great to have on hand for emergencies. Also they are very inexpensive and easy to give your pet as you can get them in tablet or pellet form and crush it and sprinkle the powder which tastes like sugar in your pets mouth. So the pet doesn't mind the taste. It needs to be taken AWAY from food though. You can't mix it in with food the way you can with herbs.

Old 11-07-2012, 08:29 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,416,459 times
Quote:
I'm surprised at you Happy. Most vets are not very informed about alternatives, other than perhaps massage or acupuncture. They are educated on drugs and invasive treatments. You have to educate yourself on alterntives for your pets sake, unless you go to a holistic or naturopathic vet. It's still worthwhile to educate yourself, your pet is depending on you to make the best decisions for them, not passing the buck to someone else.
Merck, really? Not for my kids.
Absolutely! If you do nothing but follow your vet's advice -- especially adhearing to all the vaccinations they so love to poison your pet with, count on a life expectancy of about 50% of what it could be if you avoided them and used them strictly for diagnostic purposes --using that info to discuss with a naturopath or even following recommendations in some of the better books out there instead.

I know from experience with 2 cats. The first was an apparent Maine Coon cat who, unfortunately for him, was subjected to the "care" of conventional vets for most of his life. I was told to put in on dry Science Diet because it was "good for his teeth". WRONG! Cats need a high quality wet diet ideally that contains all the components of what a bird would provide if caught in the wild. So stupid me (who knew nothing about natural medicine then) did what the vet said, without question and my cat paid for it. He ended up developing Feline Urologic Syndrome where the urinary tract gets blocked by crystals that form. If he'd been on even a high quality canned diet, this probably could have been avoided. But no. Even after two touch and go hospitalizations, it STILL didn't occur to the vet to do anything but put him on C/D which he hated. Then I discovered Pitcairn's book and immediately switched him to home prepared and at LAST he had some relief. The FUS attacks stopped. (He should have been on that diet most if not all of his life.) Then my vet frightened me by saying she was worried the natural diet wouldn't provide enough taurine. So I put him back on C/D (which I wish I hadn't) and he died at age 9 out of the blue. I was a COMPLETE WREAK after that.

This cat had turned me into a "cat person" from a former dog person. He learned all sorts of tricks and was really like a dog in so many ways. I vowed to never get another pet because I couldn't bare the pain of losing another one like that. Then someone twisted my arm to rescue another stray cat who had every trait of a Siberian (fluffy long fur like a Norwegian Forest Cat and face similar to a Maine Coon with softer features). He had had a history of FUS already even though he was only about 2 or 3. So I adopted him vowing to do correct all the mistakes I'd made with my first cat. I've done that and the cat is now almost 18! Needless to say, the number of vaccinations he's had has been zilch. I wouldn't have even given him a rabies shot but did only to comply with state laws in the state I moved to. His diet has been a recipe that includes ground meat or poultry; liver; water and a supplement mix and sometimes butter lecithin and pumpkin. In a pinch he gets Spot's Stew from Halo.

In this state there's next to no understanding about natural medicine for pets among the veterinary community( or for humans among the medical community). One vet frightened me into thinking he was developing kidney disease. So I put him on natural kidney glandulars as a recommendation from my out of state Naturopath and two years later his creatinine levels dropped from the high normal to the low normal range. So natural medicine and diet WORKS! As far as I'm concerned allopathic conventional medicine should be used only in emergencies as a last resort.

Old 11-08-2012, 08:39 AM

2,981 posts, read 2,921,637 times
Couldn't read all this now.

So in case it wasn't said.

Colloidal Silver is good.

But it does kill the Good Bacteria also that your body needs.
So after your done with it as a remedy of it,
you need to take Probiotics to regain the good bacteria again.

There is also "FOOD Grade Hydrogen Peroxide".
(Not the 'Hydrogen Peroxide' on Store shelves!)

The reason it's not sold to the public in stores, is they say, it's too dangerious to handle.
Cause you know, no one can understand instruction!

8 drops in 16 oz of distilled water healed the black & red skin spot I had on my shoulder.
It was the size of a dime. I won't say it's was cancer cause I'm not a doctor!
All I did was take one little sip every night before bed for a week! Poof Gone!
But still had to take Probiotics afterwards as well.

Interesting infromation. Thanks.

Old 11-08-2012, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevelationWriter View Post
Couldn't read all this now.

So in case it wasn't said.

Colloidal Silver is good.

But it does kill the Good Bacteria also that your body needs.
So after your done with it as a remedy of it,
you need to take Probiotics to regain the good bacteria again.

There is also "FOOD Grade Hydrogen Peroxide".
(Not the 'Hydrogen Peroxide' on Store shelves!)

The reason it's not sold to the public in stores, is they say, it's too dangerious to handle.
Cause you know, no one can understand instruction!

8 drops in 16 oz of distilled water healed the black & red skin spot I had on my shoulder.
It was the size of a dime. I won't say it's was cancer cause I'm not a doctor!
All I did was take one little sip every night before bed for a week! Poof Gone!
But still had to take Probiotics afterwards as well.

Interesting infromation. Thanks.
Thanks for that, I had never heard of it, but will learn more.
TheTruthAboutFoodGradeHydrogenPeroxide.com

Old 11-09-2012, 06:36 AM

Thank you. Looks like a better site than the one I found years ago.

Beside using probiotics after a treatment of 'Food Grade Hydrogen Peroxide' ?

It should NEVER be injested by someone who has a stomache ulcer!

Unless their stomache ulcer is healed up. Or it will make the stomache ulcer worse!

It's like Dr. Oz said this week on TV. Never put Hydrogen Peroxide on a wound. And an ulce is a wound.
It will make it bigger!

'Food Grade Hydrogen Perixode' should not be injested for much of a time period.

My policy of using anything is
to start at a much lower dose than is even recomended or advised on produce packaging!

And believe you me there has been many times I was so glad I did!

I have a low tolerance to just about everthing.
Except stupid people. I seem to tolerate them pretty well.

I always wet my hands with water when handling
the 'Food Grade Hydrogen Peroxide' bottle to transfer it for delution into distilled water.

Believe me you don't want to get it on your dry skin.
It is very strong and starts reaction.
And takes a lot of wrinsting to get out of dry skin.

But, when my hands are already soaked-wet?
It washes off easiers without stinging.
Always wash your hands after you close the "Food Grade Hydrogren Peroxide" Bottle.
Cause when your hands are wet you wouldn't know for a few minutes if you got it on your skin.
And then it takes much longer to stop the action of it by the time you know it!
So wet hand first, wash hands after you close the lid. Close lid soon as possible.
One could use gloves but water is easier to me.

And I learned this from the health food store owner.
Presure builds up in the 'Food Grade Hydrogen Peroxide' Bottle!

So it must be released by loosening the lid to releave the pressure once in a while.
Then soon as you release it's pressure tighten back up.

Be Healthy Be Safe. With the right Information we're smarter than the average patient.

Old 11-09-2012, 12:28 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,298 posts, read 14,128,518 times
Quote:
.......It's like Dr. Oz said this week on TV. Never put Hydrogen Peroxide on a wound. And an ulce is a wound.
It will make it bigger!

'Food Grade Hydrogen Perixode' should not be injested for much of a time period.

......Believe me you don't want to get it on your dry skin.
And takes a lot of wrinsting to get out of dry skin......

........I have a low tolerance to just about everthing.

Old 11-09-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Thank you. Looks like a better site than the one I found years ago.

Beside using probiotics after a treatment of 'Food Grade Hydrogen Peroxide' ?

It should NEVER be injested by someone who has a stomache ulcer!

Unless their stomache ulcer is healed up. Or it will make the stomache ulcer worse!

It's like Dr. Oz said this week on TV. Never put Hydrogen Peroxide on a wound. And an ulce is a wound.
It will make it bigger!

My policy of using anything is
to start at a much lower dose than is even recomended or advised on produce packaging!

And believe you me there has been many times I was so glad I did!

I have a low tolerance to just about everthing.

I always wet my hands with water when handling
the 'Food Grade Hydrogen Peroxide' bottle to transfer it for delution into distilled water.

Believe me you don't want to get it on your dry skin.
And takes a lot of wrinsting to get out of dry skin.

But, when my hands are already soaked-wet?
It washes off easiers without stinging.
Always wash your hands after you close the "Food Grade Hydrogren Peroxide" Bottle.
Cause when your hands are wet you wouldn't know for a few minutes if you got it on your skin.
And then it takes much longer to stop the action of it by the time you know it!
So wet hand first, wash hands after you close the lid. Close lid soon as possible.
One could use gloves but water is easier to me.

And I learned this from the health food store owner.
Presure builds up in the 'Food Grade Hydrogen Peroxide' Bottle!

So it must be released by loosening the lid to releave the pressure once in a while.
Then soon as you release it's pressure tighten back up.

Be Healthy Be Safe. With the right Information we're smarter than the average patient.
I don't think that's accurate.
From that site I linked to, they had a video going thru the history of Harry Hoxsey, it was over an hour long. He invented the use of H202 for cancer treatments and cured many, to the dismay of skeptics. I watched about 30 min. and took a break, when I came back it was no longer available. Now I can't find it. It was very thorough, and you could see that he did apply his mixtures topically to cancerous lesions. One was a huge wound on a shoulder, another was the skullcap of a man named Mandis Johnson, what should be an infamous case. Hoxsey invited the AMA, FDA, etc. to do their own studies, and to witness his treatments, but they declined. At one point, they wanted to buy his formula and patent it, but he insisted it be available to those that couldn't afford to pay, and they refused. So the deal never went thru.
He had 2 formulas, that were salves. One burned tissue and was from a plant called bloodroot. I don't recall what the other formula did.
He ended up winning a case of libel, he got 2 million, which was astronomical back then.

Use caution, get the book and read it before attempting any applications on yourself. 35% must be diluted to at least 8%, most users us a 3% solution. This is not the product you will find in Walmart or your grocery store.

Old 11-09-2012, 08:40 PM

Dr. Oz was talking about the HP from the store shelf.

I can use Food Grade on my skin when I delute it.

Since it comes in a big bottle I bought an eye dropper bottle for deluting measurments by drops.
Which can't be done out of the large bottle.

But, unless I leave the eye dropper bottle a little loose.
It swells up the bubber-top til it finally breaks the rubber down to an unuseable state.

So I have to make sure I secure the lid loosed bottle in a box with some support surounding it so it doesn't tip over.
And put it in a safe place where no one else can accidently get to it. If they don't know what it is.

My family knows about the things I use and stays clear of my bathroom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness