Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 09:35 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,628,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
I'm still looking for an abandoned pioneer coal mine in KY, TN or WVa.
I once had a 3 hour conversation with a retired miner and he talked about how exciting it was and how the that was their entire life and how its dangerous and takes years to know well. Coal power may remain useful especially it'll be hard to get in a collapsed economy but be very careful. People get cancer around that stuff. I heard stories on a reservation of a man coming home from mining contaminated and his family would hug him and he died at the age of 40 or so. Might want to consider other caverns as well, like in Virginia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 11:35 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,508,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
Coal power may remain useful especially it'll be hard to get in a collapsed economy but be very careful. People get cancer around that stuff.
Until the late 1960s, one of the biggest killers of miners was "Black Lung Disease", or Coalworkers' Pneumoconiosis (try saying THAT fast,ten times). It was caused by the long-term breathing of coal dust, which the modern high-volume mining process generates in considerable volume.

It wasn't cancer, but it could lead to cancer in some. Either way, you'd be just as dead.

Old 10-19-2011, 01:14 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,159,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I was stationed in the PNW for a few years and looked at parcels on the East side of Washington, pretty barren.
Those are the Cascades, I was talking about the Sierra in California. But even the Cascades have nice places on the east side:

Leavenworth WA during the summer

Old 10-19-2011, 01:21 PM

37,453 posts, read 61,366,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Those are the Cascades, I was talking about the Sierra in California. ...
Yes, I am familiar with the Sierra Nevadas. I grew up near Mariposa, Spent a lot of time in Yosemite and hiking Tioga.

I thread was about comparing Mountains to Flat

Old 10-19-2011, 02:06 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,508,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
The Eastern Sierras aren't completely barren, there are green areas - but that's mainly due to springs.
Ah-HEM! I did say "mostly rocks and dust", now didn't I?? If you've ever driven from the Western Sierras to the Eastern Sierras (e.g. through Tioga Pass) -- and I think you have -- you know what I mean.

Actually, there are several places way up in snow country, and down along the Owens Valley, that are kind of nice. And I know of some high-elevation lakes where, if you go fishing right after the ice melts, the trout will come out of the water and MUG YOU for the bait...

Old 10-20-2011, 07:29 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,959,017 times
That's it Tigoa Pass. I was there........

Old 10-20-2011, 08:11 PM

37,453 posts, read 61,366,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
That's it Tigoa Pass. I was there........
Really nice meadow up 5,000 foot above the pavement.

Old 10-21-2011, 08:39 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,959,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Really nice meadow up 5,000 foot above the pavement.

Wouldn't know, didn't get off the bike there. Once I had the idea I was above 9,000 ft anywhere i didn't try walking any higher and only once walked down. I was born with damaged lungs and the idea of any work out at or above 9,000 ft is no fun.

I am fine at about that high so long as i don't get nutty about it. Here on Mt Washington only 6,288ft I am fine all the time. I have been in light aircraft at around 16,000 and am ok untill the pilot starts playing tricks, and it seems I can't take a whole 5 G's.....

Coming too.... dead straight down, and seeing bright crosses on the ground was insteresting. Why I reached over thinking I must be dead, and grabbed that pilot by his throat, and screemed what's those crosses?

He said Oh chit! Not a very good answer so far as i was concerned. Then he said air planes. That fool was doing hammer head left side stalls right smack over an uncontrolled air field and the crosses were other planes on the ground.

With some motivation like that, I sort of learned How To fly.

Old 10-21-2011, 01:38 PM

1,079 posts, read 1,272,409 times
Default Six of one . . . .

This is one of those situations my dad used to call 'six of one, half dozen of another'. Flat land is easier to farm and build on, but can be difficult to defend. Hilly or mountainous land is easier to defend, but harder to farm and build on.

I think I would need to opt for hilly land. I would rather put extra effort into creating a garden, but have something easier to defend.

Old 10-21-2011, 02:08 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,630,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrysue View Post
This is one of those situations my dad used to call 'six of one, half dozen of another'. Flat land is easier to farm and build on, but can be difficult to defend. Hilly or mountainous land is easier to defend, but harder to farm and build on.

I think I would need to opt for hilly land. I would rather put extra effort into creating a garden, but have something easier to defend.
Yup, exactly right. KY has rolling hills, so does Oregon and in fact quite a few places do. I think it is not so much about the defendability of the place as much as it is for the reasonable risk of someone thinking to drive out to your particular location to loot it in case of a bad scenario. So, if you are in the "middle of nowhere" in KY or OR or GA or wherever, even if flat of slightly hilly, it is probably going to be safer than some place in the the Colorado mountains, for example, 20 miles from Denver or Colorado Springs...

OD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness