Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2012, 12:49 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,482,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
If those on the bottom would unite...do you see how suddenly their, our, buying power increases?

Those at the bottom economic scale are taught to think as induvisuals...

But yet your resorces are being siphoned out of you through taxes...and now sits in the accounts of off shore bankers...

What bang, did you get for your buck??

But under my model....things would be much different....
Yep, and they'd be much different AGAIN when some/all of the 20 people decided they want their own money to spend their own way. Who would be the decision-maker in this utopia of yours? A democracy? Methinks you might be disappointed with the result.

The numbers look fabulous, but darn, those personalities....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 12:59 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,323,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I know I'm going to get blasted by others here, but I'll say it anyway:

Yes, there is more to life than "getting some darn menial job." There's more to life than getting ANY job.

You expect to get "satisfaction" from your job. I say drop that expectation. I've never really gotten any kind of satisfaction from any job I've ever had. It doesn't mean I didn't do a good job as is expected of me (I've actually gotten many awards for the job I've done); the point is, I'm simply selling my time to fund my life. That time is not my own and I wouldn't really expect that sold time to give me any kind of satisfaction except the satisfaction of being able to fund my life--and my life is not what I do with my sold time, it's what I do with MY time (the time I keep for myself). I do not identify myself by my function at a job. That function is simply the trade I make to fund my existence.

Editors note: NO... my identity and self-worth is NOT defined by my employment--as is the case with about 99.9% of Americans these days. As long as you're doing something that is funding your life, that's sufficient in my book--be it flipping burgers or playing polo.
You better believe there's more to life than hopping up and down for peanuts, while everyone else siphones off your check...and your left with nothing at the end of the month...

Your only value to society is to feed the Government, and to feed corporate interests...outside of your ability two feed those two entities, according to this monetary society, you haven't much value...

And as such, it has changed people...

Also, what worked in 1945, doesn't work today...that's something many in their 60's and 70's don't understand...

Back then working one job, they could raise a family of 8 kids, have a boat, a house, and a cabin and do just fine off of one income...

So it's hard for them to understand in todays economic reality...you just can't do that with $7.5 an hour...

Funny thing is, in California minimum wage is $12.00 an hour...so someone working where I live, earns less than someones minimum wage in either California or the NE...

The poor stay fragmented, and the rich continue to combine their resorces and solidify the power...

It wouldn't be so bad if the 'rich' didn't have power...but with money comes power, which means their 'will' will soon be exerted on you....

They're worthy to exert their will over you, simply cause they have more coin than you...

Do I want to be rich and accumilate coin...no, but I do know initially you need coin in order to begin the seperation process...

Like Hank Jr and his 500 acre spread in Montana...

Old 01-12-2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Yep, and they'd be much different AGAIN when some/all of the 20 people decided they want their own money to spend their own way. Who would be the decision-maker in this utopia of yours? A democracy? Methinks you might be disappointed with the result.

The numbers look fabulous, but darn, those personalities....
The 20-40 people I would get to do this, would have a lot better sense than that...

They would be thoroughly introduced to the idea or concept and while we were in the 'building' phase...there would be certain 'clauses' they would have to abide by...like a contract of sorts...

People would have a thorough understanding of what they were getting into before they joined...it wouldn't just be any flakey personality off the street...

It would be people who have long term vision...and who would be willing to sacrifice a bit in the beggening, in order to get alot in the end...

Either they 'see' or they don't...

Some will never 'see', and will continue to stumble along alone...

Yet others, will see it as an investment to their future well being...

And again...those who already have, than obviously this would not appeal to them, cause they've already created the enviornment they want for themselves...

But don't discourage those who don't have yet, for trying...

Or tell us we should be happy working for peanuts, with one check, while remaining impoverished and powerless...

i sense there is people out there, who want to be empowered and rise up...not out of spite or hatred for anything...but rather for self...

And they want to do in within a system that yields them more personal return, in terms of community, and yes even a bit of coin...

Again...you can have your castle, and eat your cake to...if you do it right...

Old 01-12-2012, 01:21 PM

25,684 posts, read 18,773,845 times
Quote:
It wouldn't be so bad if the 'rich' didn't have power...but with money comes power, which means their 'will' will soon be exerted on you....
But are the rich seeking power over you with their pots of gold and ivory towers any better than the poor seeking power over you with their pitchforks, torches, and AK-47s?

Old 01-12-2012, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
But are the rich seeking power over you with their pots of gold and ivory towers any better than the poor seeking power over you with their pitchforks, torches, and AK-47s?
Ok, this one here kinda went over my head...

Old 01-12-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
(Unlike you) I've BEEN on 'winning hearts and minds' ops where we carried rifles and teddy bears (And blankets and soccer balls) into places where people wanted to kill us.

Just the truth.

The truth is not mean.

And yes... As the other poster said. All this talk and no effort tells us all we need to know.

As to help... You have done exactly NOTHING.

Whereas in a couple months... I'll be working bricks... the bricks of the foundation of MY HOME!
Since you are skilled with bricks...

I need your opinion...
How much do you estimate it would cost to build a castle, just like this one here?

Before I begin my fund raising campaign to x,y, and z...

I need an estimate...If you don't know...I'll just ask a civil engineer or architec...but since you said above, that you know about bricks, I figured I'd start with you first...

But if your just going to mock me, don't bother....

I'm about ready to get this kicked off...to initiate the first phase of my plan...

But since people seem to like to 'watch' instead of helping...I may have to do it all on my own...

But If I do it on my own...I can be much more select and picky in the end, of who I want to share it with...since no one helped me...

It don't matter to me...I've had enough time to examine the weakness and skeptiscm of man...

One of my hobbies is accomplishing things that people say I can't do....

Journey-Dont Stop Believing - YouTube

Journey-Dont Stop Believing - YouTube

Old 01-12-2012, 09:53 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,122,424 times
Quote:
Ahh, but think big....

What if you took that $7.50 cents per hour and multiplyed it by
20?

$7.5 x 20 = $150 dollars an hour...

$150 x 40 = $6000 dollars a week...

$6000 x 4 = $24,000 a month!!

Do you see my point?

If those on the bottom would unite...do you see how suddenly their, our, buying power increases?

Those at the bottom economic scale are taught to think as induvisuals...

But yet your resorces are being siphoned out of you through taxes...and now sits in the accounts of off shore bankers...

What bang, did you get for your buck??

But under my model....things would be much different....

You'd need 20X the food, 20X the shelter, 20xthe clothing....

It is FAR easier for someone to increase their skillset/Worth... so as to command higher wages than to find 20 people to agree with!

Old 01-12-2012, 09:56 PM

Quote:
You better believe there's more to life than hopping up and down for peanuts, while everyone else siphones off your check...and your left with nothing at the end of the month...

Your only value to society is to feed the Government, and to feed corporate interests...outside of your ability two feed those two entities, according to this monetary society, you haven't much value...

And as such, it has changed people...

Also, what worked in 1945, doesn't work today...that's something many in their 60's and 70's don't understand...

Back then working one job, they could raise a family of 8 kids, have a boat, a house, and a cabin and do just fine off of one income...

So it's hard for them to understand in todays economic reality...you just can't do that with $7.5 an hour...

Funny thing is, in California minimum wage is $12.00 an hour...so someone working where I live, earns less than someones minimum wage in either California or the NE...

The poor stay fragmented, and the rich continue to combine their resorces and solidify the power...

They're worthy to exert their will over you, simply cause they have more coin than you...

Do I want to be rich and accumilate coin...no, but I do know initially you need coin in order to begin the seperation process...

Like Hank Jr and his 500 acre spread in Montana...

Jack in the Box (Burger place) in Baton Rouge La (Passed through there the other day) was offering to START people (Regular workers) out at $12/Hour WITH Bennies...

So much for $7.25/Hour!

Old 01-12-2012, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Since you are skilled with bricks...

I need your opinion...
How much do you estimate it would cost to build a castle, just like this one here?

Before I begin my fund raising campaign to x,y, and z...

I need an estimate...If you don't know...I'll just ask a civil engineer or architec...but since you said above, that you know about bricks, I figured I'd start with you first...

LOL, This should be good.

What are you going to do... ask for more $ on the internet?

Answer:
Don't build that. (Not that you were)

Stone is NOT a good insulator and castles were drafty and cold.

Today they take LOTS of power (Which is not good for the environment) to keep livable/not miserable.

There are many eco friendly ways of building, Adobe, cordwood, cob etc...

Old 01-13-2012, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
LOL, This should be good.

What are you going to do... ask for more $ on the internet?

Answer:
Don't build that. (Not that you were)

Stone is NOT a good insulator and castles were drafty and cold.

Today they take LOTS of power (Which is not good for the environment) to keep livable/not miserable.

There are many eco friendly ways of building, Adobe, cordwood, cob etc...

Out of curiosity I searched web for 'castle builders'...I guess I'm not the only one who likes castles...

CastleMagic Castle Builders

Castles of the United States

I feel better now, knowing there's other people out there like me, who like casltes...
Cause sometimes if you just go by what people think of you on here, you can begin to feel alone and isolated, but then after doing a search, i realize now 100's of castles are built or being build all over the place, even in the south...amazing...
the one pictured here is for sale in the Colorado mountains somewhere...

In the second link, you can check out tons of castles that people have built for themselves...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness