Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2011, 08:33 AM

486 posts, read 992,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
The way I see it (and I'm sure I'm in the minority here, as I am everywhere else), I'm 53 years old, I've done everything I wanted to do, there are no surprises left for me in life, and most importantly, I made my peace with Death a long, long time ago.

Most people, when they see Death coming up the path to their house, run and hide, lock the doors and bolt the windows and break out in fervent prayer, beseeching whatever celestial being they believe in to save them.

I'll open the door wide, turn on all the lights and fling open the windows, put on some Pink Floyd and break out the libations.

Welcome any time, Honored Guest!
AMEN! I guess I am in the minority also. I am 45 years old and I have done pretty much all I have wanted to do (except to be an art restorer working at the Louvre, oh well we can't have everything in life). There are no more "good" surprises left for me in life either. It is pretty much downhill from here on out.

I don't have any kids so I don't have the whole "I need to stay alive forever to see my grand kids" mentality.

I am also one of those weirdos who never goes to the doctor if I can all help it. I really don't want to know what is inside of me that can kill me (ex: high blood pressure, pre-cancer cells, etc.). My dad died at 56 from cancer (died from the treatment not the cancer IMO). My mom had a stroke at 56 from a genetic AVM. My family dies young, so I am making my peace with death.

Now I just need to truly learn to live each day joyfully, while I am somewhat healthy, instead of worrying about what will kill me considering death (and taxes) really is the only thing guaranteed in life. Why worry constantly about the inevitable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 01:22 PM

25,732 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
I resent my government just as much as you do. I also resent insurance companies. There is no reason that medical care should be so expensive other than the useless middleman who drives costs up by paying health care providers less and less every year for the same services. BCBS, for example, may pay 40% (and probably a lot less than that in reality) of whatever they are invoiced for including your deductible. To avoid starving out, the providers have to bill 250% of what the work would be worth in a direct patient-to-doctor transaction. BCBS also contractually forbids in-network providers from arranging patient-to-doctor payment options at a discounted or, more appropriately, real rate.

I apologize for getting caffeinated with you yesterday, I just couldn't understand how questioning the wisdom of principled avoidance of routine screening amounted to blindly following the government.
I think we are in agreement on most of this issue. And although I choose to avoid the modern medical establishment for the most part, I'm certainly not militant about it; I feel it's a personal choice that each person should have the right to make either way.

What I am militant about is the government deciding it's going to make the choice for everyone. One-size-fits-all seldom fits all. I get all carried away every time this topic comes up; I smell tyranny. Again, it's not that I'm pitch-fork-and-torch against folks engaging in "health care." But I am pitch-fork-and-torch against mandating something as personal as this. So don't think I'm attacking you--I just explode every time this issue is discussed. It's probably adversely affecting my health just thinking about it!

Old 11-10-2011, 02:53 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,631,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
I understand that they do happen and that there is some risk incidental to every single day, that routine screenings do not necessarily do anything to save people from glioblastoma multiforme, exotic infections, pancreatic cancers and other catastrophic illnesses and I also understand that medical practitioners are not all created equal; I'm still confused about the correlation between seeing value in attending routine screenings and assuming that "anything must live and survive, no matter what". Correct me if I'm wrong please, but you seem to be saying that you can still die from a cut on your finger even with soap and neosporin and that medical provider competency follows a bell curve, so why go to the doctor ever. To me, that philosophy yields pretty slim odds of maximum happy.

I'm saying that there are a number of common maladies that will result in an unpleasant and undignified death that may be avoided by early detection and simple procedures. I don't want one of those to be what kills me if I can help it.
I agree with you but again, look up recent recommendations on early prostate and breast cancer screenings and their repercussions. Another example of pushing crap on people with not enought understanding what it entails. Then 20 years later we wake up and say "oh, yeah, by the way, don't do this anymore, it is dangerous and there is no real benefit". Well, tell that to all the folks who "benefitted" from the previous regime...

Old 11-10-2011, 03:36 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
I agree with you but again, look up recent recommendations on early prostate and breast cancer screenings and their repercussions.
Oh, brother!

DW had her annual mammogram during October ("Breast Cancer month"). She got a call from her doctor to come in for a second 'gram, which she did. The radiologist "didn't like" something he found...long story short, they wanted her to get a biopsy done. But they don't know DW.

She started asking questions. Wanted to look at the films herself. At first they didn't want her to, but she threatened to go elsewhere if they didn't, so they did. After looking at it, she asked if she could have an ultrasound, which the radiologist said would do no good. She got our family physician to prescribe one, and had it done. Nothing but WATER! She had a little cyst! No echoes or anything...no need to even have it aspirated! If she had gone for the biopsy, who knows what they would have ended up doing?

I'm glad DW asks questions, and challenges the "experts"! I hope you folks into "health care" also ask plenty of questions!

Old 11-10-2011, 03:47 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,622,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebola View Post
AMEN! I guess I am in the minority also ...

... Why worry constantly about the inevitable?
There ya go! Maybe there's a fraternal organization for people like us - I'll have to do a little research.

Old 11-10-2011, 05:21 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,631,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Oh, brother!

DW had her annual mammogram during October ("Breast Cancer month"). She got a call from her doctor to come in for a second 'gram, which she did. The radiologist "didn't like" something he found...long story short, they wanted her to get a biopsy done. But they don't know DW.

She started asking questions. Wanted to look at the films herself. At first they didn't want her to, but she threatened to go elsewhere if they didn't, so they did. After looking at it, she asked if she could have an ultrasound, which the radiologist said would do no good. She got our family physician to prescribe one, and had it done. Nothing but WATER! She had a little cyst! No echoes or anything...no need to even have it aspirated! If she had gone for the biopsy, who knows what they would have ended up doing?

I'm glad DW asks questions, and challenges the "experts"! I hope you folks into "health care" also ask plenty of questions!
That's exactly what I meant. The latest studies show that most people who get screened end up with costly and dangerous procedures that could be life threatening for cancers that either would not grow or were benign. Yes, people say "tell that to the people who had cancer and whose lives were saved by early screening". But, statistics are statistics and I am not making them up, for the majority of people these costly screenings are a waste of money and time and often times result in procedures that are extensive with unforeseen consequences.

The problem is IMHO that aside the fact that the medical establishment is out here to make money on you, your own doctor does not want "to make the call" and tell you to go home. He'd rather get six extra tests and that way his a** is covered

Old 11-10-2011, 08:16 PM

373 posts, read 635,338 times
Default Sounds like the MD needed to buy some high end toys vacations or pay for ones in the past

Quote:
Oh, brother!

Sounds like the MD just needed to pick up some folding money. The MD wanted to do C-sections on the wife everytime, I refused everytime. Also wanted to me to sign a disclaimer absolving them of liabilty from blood born illnesses too, in case a transfusion is needed one time refused to do that.

About 9 of 10 C-sections are about convenience and extra $$$$$ for the hospital and MD. And the imbroglio over possible blood transfusion was after the AIDS contamination of the blood supply and before the HEP C contamination. Who knows what is in the blood supply now?

Anyway any one iwith a basic understanding of Biology could have figured out the blood situation, and the C section is situation is quite a scandal.
But few people will take on a Nurse let along an MD like they just might be thieving trades people whose education is a narrow technical background, and stealing and swindleling.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:43 AM

25,732 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
There ya go! Maybe there's a fraternal organization for people like us - I'll have to do a little research.
Well, count me in too...

Old 11-11-2011, 05:04 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,688,423 times
Well, my family lives into their 80's and 90's, so I've got at least 30-40 years left. And by golly I'm gonna enjoy them!

We are not prone to cancer, and the only strokes we've had were as a result of alcoholism. My BP is abysmally low - I used to joke that it took 3 cups of coffee and a 1/2 a pack of cigarettes just to get my BP up to 120/80. My cholesterol is low - both kinds. As long as I keep the infections down, the lupus is not a problem. Fortunately I have a doc who doesn't think I need constant meds, and who respects my right to choose.

My motto is - "Live until you die - then, stop". I plan on being the mean old lady in the "haunted house" who answers her door with a shotgun, has a crochety old horse and a mean old dog. Fussing about it, worrying about it, and planning for it are simply not in my makeup. Everything's written down in case I die suddenly, but I just did that so I could forget about it. My kids won't have kids, and I'm not the fussy "grandma" type anyway. I live my life - for me.

Still gotta write that great novel, though.

Old 12-11-2014, 07:14 PM

1,608 posts, read 1,484,994 times
Quote:
This quote refers to the Great Tribulation, during the End Times. It lasts 7 years and starts with The Rapture (when the faithful are delivered to Heaven) and and ends with the Second Coming.

I guess we're not quite there yet...but who knows, it could be soon!

PLEASE refrain from stating as fact that which is simply your own perspective. You won't find the word 'Rapture' in the Bible.

It is generally agreed upon by most Biblical scholars that the Scripture you quoted refers to The Great Tribulation, but whether or not it is pre-trib, mid-trib, post-trib, or no trib, is another discussion.

As Christians, we are charged with worshiping GOD in Spirit and Truth. It isn't helpful, to those who are learning about The Gospel of Christ, when we state our opinions as fact; it is not truthful.

Mahrie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness