Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 04:03 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennygracy View Post
I talked with my Hubby and he is onboard! I have started to stockpile of canned soup and other things I know we can eat (even cold if we need to eat it cold). Can anyone suggest other things for our prep kit? Rope? I saw some @ walmart and was thinking might be useful...
Here's a list to give you ideas:
100 Items to Disappear First
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 04:36 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Consider a new hobby. Learning a new skill. Like cooking from scratch [saves a lot of money], or soap-making, or a dairy animal and cheese-making, or rabbit husbandry, gardening, beekeeping, the list goes on and on.

Pick a new hobby to learn each year, that was what we did.

Lots of these things can be great fun with children.

Old 11-01-2011, 12:49 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
I talked with my Hubby and he is onboard! I have started to stockpile of canned soup and other things I know we can eat (even cold if we need to eat it cold). Can anyone suggest other things for our prep kit? Rope? I saw some @ walmart and was thinking might be useful...
Think of things you use every day or every month. Keep a journal or list. For instance, would you want to be without feminine products or TP? Heavens knows the price on those has doubled in the last 20 years.

Keep it simple. Even as simple as a back-up fuel filter, air filter, oil filter and oil for your vehicle's routine maint., an extra set of boots, underwear, etc.... . You want the things you purchase to be practical and of good use even if the country doesn't go to Hades in a handbasket.

Seperate needs from wants and concentrate on needs first. Live smaller and save longer. Seeks sales and do not pay retail for anything.

Just my opinion.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:38 AM

27 posts, read 45,149 times
Without a doubt food storage and simplifying your life as much as possible should be your top two priorities when delving into the expansive world of survival/preparedness and self-sufficiency. Start storing a variety of foods (that you already eat or that you're willing to start eating) and store different types of shelf-stable foods. What I mean by that is don't just store bulk whole foods (like beans or grains), but also stock up on canned foods, dehydrated foods, etc. As far as simplifying your life, start learning about new skills (examples include making your own soap, learning how to sew, learning how to garden or hunt, etc.). It may help to create a list of skills you're interested in learning and simply work through your list as time permits.

As for guns and defense... as other posters have alluded to previously, a firearm or non-lethal weapon is more dangerous in the hands of someone who doesn't know what they're doing than not having it at all. If you have no experience with firearms, I suggest you start with non-lethal (such as batons, tasers, chemical/mace sprays, etc.) before moving on to firearms.

I know it's a ton of info to absorb but let me know if you have any more specific questions. We're all in this together and the more folks who take time to prepare, the better chances we all have.

Last edited by generic_poster; 01-12-2012 at 11:38 AM.. Reason: removing html tags

Old 01-12-2012, 12:51 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
I guess what we would have to bunker down if SHTF... We don't have guns and don't know how to shoot... what other things can we use for defense if needed?
You're not going to make it.

So you're not weapon oriented. That's an observation, not a criticism, however, the reality is that you will be destroyed in short order. Even if you were armed, you cannot make it on your own; no one can.

Your best chance is to form or join a group (of at least 50-100). Since you don't have any resources of your own, you'll need to join a group. On another post on a different thread, I outline how do that; selecting a location that has resources and is tactically sound, and then making yourself welcome to that person/people or group.

Earlier in this thread, someone said to expand your skill-set.

I could not agree more.

Even more so since you are not weapons oriented. You're effectively a liability to others, which doesn't make you attractive at all, hence the need to have a good skill-set so that you can bring something to the table to make yourself appear very attractive to others.

This is like the barter system. Why should I protect you, house you and feed you?

Because you have worth and value as a human being?

No, that kind of kumbaya stuff goes out the window with sanity, morality, ethics, law and order and just about everything else.

People will protect you if you have the skill-sets they need. If all you're going to do is take up space and use up precious resources without giving anything back, then you're a liability.

Quote:
Also what do you suggest we do if we need to travel with the kids on foot? (ages 7, 4, 1 1/2)
You need a family rally point.

It is a huge mistake to assume that your family will all be together when "it" happens.

The odds are that one or more of your family will be elsewhere doing something else when "it" happens. Your family needs to know where to go so they will all come together. Most likely for you, your husband will need to leave his job, go to the elementary school and fight off the school authorities to yank your 7-year old, and then move to the rally point to meet you and your other two children. Your rally point could be your home. Then again, you may need to pick a different area/location to meet. Your city/county/State disaster plans should detail which roads are blocked, blockaded, barricaded or seal off/closed to traffic. You'll have to navigate around that.

This points back to the false assumption that you'll be able to make it to your home, before moving on. Don't automatically assume that you'll be able to go home, or even that it will be safe.

For any number of reasons, vehicles may not be an option. Mountain bikes are always a good investment.

Surviving....

Mircea
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness