Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 04:22 PM

14 posts, read 13,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Do you have proof to back up those claims of intentionality as opposed to ineptness?

You think your company can predict where a meteor will impact so that boats can get out of the way of a resulting tidal wave/tsunami?
1. Even though they were building with "tsunami-proofness" in mind, they removed a hill where they were going to build the power plant, dug a basement, and put the emergency generators in the basement, the position where any tsunami that overran the seawall would be sure to get them anyway.

2. TEPCO has falsified inspection data in the past. Leaving a criminal organization in charge of a nuke plant means you want bad things to happen, as in, "proof of intent."

3. They've been outright lying about the amount of radiation released and the amount of radioactive particles found in things such as food. Even if you say, "that's just after the fact cover up," the fact is, their deliberate actions, before or after the fact, are making a huge swath of territory uninhabitable, just like was done in the Gulf with Corexit. I don't have to prove they intended the result, only that they made an informed choice to do something that any damned fool could see would lead to the result. More than one body has put out warnings that those reactors were not safe in case of earthquake or tsunami.

4. They could clean those reactors out but they don't. All it would take is a remote-control backhoe and a remote-control bulldozer. Use the dozer to punch into the containment vessel, then use the backhoe to dig the core out of the ground, and separate the atomic pile into several small globs, each one in a different nuclear waste storage cask. In small pieces, the reactor pile would stop reacting; it has to have a certain amount of uranium altogether to work. It would actually be pretty simple. Has this been suggested to them? Yes. Will they do it? No.

No one can read minds. Look at it as if you were sitting on a jury, and TEPCO had been charged with manslaughter, and this, and other things was put before you as evidence. Most people would convict for manslaughter, and many would want the charge increased to first degree murder.

Regarding meteorites, there are tracking systems in place; you just have to know which websites to watch. One fourth of all meteorites strike land, and three fourths strike water. The chances of one striking near shore are almost nil, and that's the only time when one of our vessels would be at a serious risk from the resulting tsunami. The fastest tsunami known travelled at 750 km/hour, so if a tsunami strikes the ocean in a position such that the resulting tsunami would throw you on shore and break your ship, you can still expect to have an hour or more to get to sea, where you'll be safe. The chances of a meteor strike are good; the chances of one hitting close enough to cause you a problem are nil.

When a meteorite strikes land, you have no problem in a LifeYacht unless it's a civilization-killer, in which case you just lost all your relatives, but you yourself should have little difficulty. The resulting winter won't reduce your crop, and since you can run all your own air through a water filter, all you have to do is wait.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
Why, when I click on the "How You Get A Life Yacht" link, does it take me to a page that wants me to start creating a Plesk web site?
Broken link. I've referred it to the webmaster. "How does it work?" is the page that link was supposed to take you to.

Quote:
Are you a registered religious body?
Is there a Religious Body Registry somewhere? Sort of like the American Kennel Corp? Of course we're not registered. With whom would we register? Every form of registration available puts restraints in place to keep us from doing the very sort of things we're doing. Besides, if you don't want to be a missionary, or don't like our theology, you wouldn't join the Sea Lions Academy, you'd either be an Independent, or join the Terraform Project or the Freeholder Project. Those are completely secular.

Quote:
The Sea Lion's Academy - so I have to enter into indentured servitude to get points toward my LifeYacht? How long will I have to save the world before I have enough points to run away from it?
Have we done something to deserve mockery? If the idea of cooperative effort is uninteresting or repulsive to you, it's simple enough to end the conversation. If that was a serious question, you might recall a bit lower on the "How does it work?" page: When you've built for three times as many hours as it takes to build your ship, we hand you the keys and Launch you. That means, for the smallest ship, somewhere around a year and a half.

Quote:
How does $1,000 and "terraforming" get me one of these latter-day arks?
It doesn't. You become a Terraformer because you decide you want to. $100 and some time gets you one of these latter day arks. Again, have we done something to deserve being mocked?

Quote:
"Never having a utility bill" ... how do you pay the marina or slip owner? How do you pay for the eventual maintenance and repairs?
That's a really interesting question. I think the bigger question is, when you have a vessel that can park anywhere along the river, or beach, why in the world would you park it at a marina? That's like buying a motor home with solar power and then paying for a campsite with plugins.

Concrete hulls require no maintenance beyond scraping the barnacles off. As for other maintenance, our systems are all designed to be as low-maintenance as possible, but we don't offer a maintenance-free home. If the obvious possibilities of making money by buying things where they're plentiful and selling them where they're scarce have not occurred to you, let me suggest them now: you can trade worldwide when you own one of these. Money will be a problem for very few.

Quote:
Oh, wait, now I found it - it was kind of hidden - I have to put up a $200k "stake", right? Held in escrow? And I have to help build these things three times over?
I've had the webmaster re-do that 'graph. The info missing on that page was in the Membership Agreement.

No, Membership is $100, and that gets you the right, once the construction fleet is producing, to come earn your own LifeYacht. Voting Membership is $1000, and the Voting Members run everything. Don't expect the Voting Members to put one of the $100 guys very high on the list, though. The ones who have the most at stake get to run it their way.

If building three to get one seems strange to you, may I ask if you've considered the cost of tools and materials? That largest one, the Manta Ray, has $400,000 worth of Lexan windows on it, at wholesale. Should we demand that you come up with that, or....help build one to sell for cash so we can just buy it? That seems like a better plan to us. Sorry if it doesn't work for you, but we understand we can't please everybody.

Quote:
VERY confusing site.
Oh, most people had no trouble with it, but thank you for posting these questions, so we could improve it further.

Old 11-06-2011, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
Sorta reminds me of The Freedom Project, which I was severely badgered to join as well - let's move to a State and take it over, politically, socioeconomically, completely! - yeah, well the people who have been living there and doing what they do for generations will merely consider you fresh meat with money. THEIR Website went from being "Everybody sign up!" to "OK, we're going to limit this to people with".. in short order.
The Free State Project, with which we are not affiliated in any way, has gathered over ten thousand people so far in New Hampshire, and they are working their program and achieving goals. I don't know why you would think it odd that someone would change their policies and rules after having to deal with unforeseen fringe elements who would respond, but we at the Ericsson Council fully expect to have to make changes.

It's what both growing and mature organizations do.

Quote:
The whole idea just strikes me as odd... avoiding nuclear fallout that is spreading all over the world, through the air that everyone breathes? Towing a 'garden ship' won't make you a target? Do they still have the fallacious belief that the ocean cleans out all contaminants including radiation? I don't care how fresh that breeze is, if it has nuclear radiation in it, it ain't 'fresh'. And if they think that a heavily armed boat can't be taken out by not only heavily-armed pirates but unemployed Blackwater guys with surplus tanks and Predator drones, well... I'll let them live in their fantasy if they let me live in mine.
Fallout doesn't spread over the whole world, it follows wind patterns, and in the initial stages, meaning about a decade, can be avoided. That's how long we'll have to get a major cleanup program in place. Yes, it will take thousands of ships working together, maybe tens of thousands. We'll have them. Being ready to undertake worldwide fallout cleanup is exactly why we formed the Terraform Project. We're way ahead of you. Do you seriously think we haven't considered all these things and laid plans for them? Perhaps you underestimate our arrogance: we actually do think we deserve a clean, healthy planet, we know that no one else will face a job that big so we're undertaking it ourselves, and are well aware of the forces we'll have to face to finish it.

Who said towing a garden ship won't make you a target? No one has claimed that.

No one we know of believes the ocean cleans out all contaminants; in fact, it's in dire need of a good cleaning just to stay alive. That's the Terraformers' first project,to clean out the North Pacific Garbage Patch. As they gather experience and build equipment, their reach will extend to the point that, while you're gasping in Nebraska, they'll be lauching an air decon campaign. Maybe they'll get your air clean before it kills you, maybe they won't. I do know, they'll clean their own air first.

Radioactive particles can be cleaned out of air by passing the air through various kinds of filters with varying degrees of effectiveness. NO ONE said it would be easy, only that it can be done. If we end up making our xeolites ourselves, that may be a major headache, but if it's the cost of breathing, we'll pay it. No one's talking about using the ocean as a filter.

Quote:
To me it looks like they're counting on the Ted Turners and Warren Buffets of the world to come and pay them for the privilege... bluntly, I live between Ted's ranch and Buffet's house in Omaha, and I think they are the ones who're on to something...
No, there are a very good many upper middle class and upper class folks who will grab these up as fast as we can drop them in the water. It would take a Ted Turner to buy a Manta Ray, but the Sting Ray is within reach for well over two million people in this country alone, and they are exactly the sort of people who are buying up disaster hideouts in Wyoming and Montana. Imagine their surprise when they discover the realtor forgot to mention that their house was right next to a missile silo that the Chinese had four MIRVs targeted on. If they're not actually at that house when it happens, they'll show up in our sales office pretty quickly.

Old 11-06-2011, 05:44 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,624,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricssonCouncil View Post
Broken link. I've referred it to the webmaster. "How does it work?" is the page that link was supposed to take you to.
OK.

Quote:
Is there a Religious Body Registry somewhere? Sort of like the American Kennel Corp? Of course we're not registered. With whom would we register? Every form of registration available puts restraints in place to keep us from doing the very sort of things we're doing. Besides, if you don't want to be a missionary, or don't like our theology, you wouldn't join the Sea Lions Academy, you'd either be an Independent, or join the Terraform Project or the Freeholder Project. Those are completely secular.
Heh, heh ... YOU know what I mean!

Let me rephrase - are you a 501(c)(3) ? Have you filed a Form 1023 to aid in being recognized as Federally exempt? Do ANY part of the monetary earnings from this organization inure to an individual?

And a personal observation, if I may - how do Christian values, obviously a large part of your plan, and ARMED BOATS go together?

Quote:
Have we done something to deserve mockery? If the idea of cooperative effort is uninteresting or repulsive to you, it's simple enough to end the conversation. If that was a serious question, you might recall a bit lower on the "How does it work?" page: When you've built for three times as many hours as it takes to build your ship, we hand you the keys and Launch you. That means, for the smallest ship, somewhere around a year and a half.
Not mockery - sarcasm. And cynicism, born of experience.

A year and a half is for ONE ship or three? If the latter, then 6 months average build-time per ship?

By the way - you might want to investigate (if for no other reason than for personal edification) the differences between a BOAT and a SHIP - you might be surprised at what you find.

Quote:
It doesn't. You become a Terraformer because you decide you want to. $100 and some time gets you one of these latter day arks. Again, have we done something to deserve being mocked?
OK, now it's $100 - that's a bit more reasonable.

You've placed yourself in the public eye and had the (bad?) luck to be linked to on a very large and popular privately-held public forum - that's what you've done to deserve my "observations".

Quote:
That's a really interesting question. I think the bigger question is, when you have a vessel that can park anywhere along the river, or beach, why in the world would you park it at a marina? That's like buying a motor home with solar power and then paying for a campsite with plugins.
I'm still not convinced. I lived on a houseboat full-time for 8 months and I can honestly say that I could not just tie up anywhere. In fact, a few fellows once persuaded me to seek alternate moorings at the wrong end of a trio of 12-gauges. I can't see that it would be much easier in End Times.

And if there are still laws in effect, you'll probably be in violation of at least a handful of them - private property and all that.

As for that solar-powered RV - I believe one of the advantages of paying for a campsite is security. In times of conflict, you'd be missing that element by tying up just anywhere.

Quote:
Concrete hulls require no maintenance beyond scraping the barnacles off. As for other maintenance, our systems are all designed to be as low-maintenance as possible, but we don't offer a maintenance-free home. If the obvious possibilities of making money by buying things where they're plentiful and selling them where they're scarce have not occurred to you, let me suggest them now: you can trade worldwide when you own one of these. Money will be a problem for very few.
Although concrete hulls DO last indefinitely, their one main drawback is when you crack them in a major collision - almost impossible to repair properly. Something to be considered in a SHTF craft.

Trading world-wide? Interesting concept ... if you can find a friendly "port".

Quote:
I've had the webmaster re-do that 'graph. The info missing on that page was in the Membership Agreement.
Excellent.

Quote:
No, Membership is $100, and that gets you the right, once the construction fleet is producing, to come earn your own LifeYacht. Voting Membership is $1000, and the Voting Members run everything. Don't expect the Voting Members to put one of the $100 guys very high on the list, though. The ones who have the most at stake get to run it their way.
OK. That still leaves some questions unanswered, but I won't bother you further.

Quote:
If building three to get one seems strange to you, may I ask if you've considered the cost of tools and materials? That largest one, the Manta Ray, has $400,000 worth of Lexan windows on it, at wholesale. Should we demand that you come up with that, or....help build one to sell for cash so we can just buy it? That seems like a better plan to us. Sorry if it doesn't work for you, but we understand we can't please everybody.
Now it's starting to sound like a pyramid arrangement. WHO puts up the cash to BUY that Lexan in the first place? Where do they get the money from? From selling the boat?

You're getting free labor - check. You're paying for materials - check. But somewhere there's an imbalance here ...

Quote:
Oh, most people had no trouble with it, but thank you for posting these questions, so we could improve it further.
Most people didn't have a problem understanding Amway either, but you see where THAT got them ...

I'm glad to have been a help with your site - good luck with your endeavors.

Old 11-06-2011, 05:55 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Where are photos of these completed ships on the water? You do have at least one or two demos don't you?

Old 11-06-2011, 06:13 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,223,823 times
Well, EC, I must congratulate you on your restrained and polite responses to our posts on this thread.

Now you've got me intrigued enough with the CONCEPT to put you on the hot seat a little bit longer and play devil's advocate:

1. Just because you're at sea doesn't mean you will escape aerial surveillance (NWO black helicopters) and satellite pass-overs, when the PTB are finished hunting us hunkerers down. Copter-fired missiles, blub-blub, you drown.

2. Aren't boat wakes pretty visible from space, speaking of the Forces of Evil and what technology they have?

3. Marine engineering creds on my part = ZERO, but I know intuitively if you drive a ton or so of auto off one of your boats, you're going to affect the balance and stability of the whole craft.

4. Deep ocean zones won't supply a lot of food fish, which tend to congregate closer to shore -- plan on fishing only when you tie up at one of those friendly areas without any pirates or banjo-playing locals?

5. A commune on water is still a bunch of individuals who will never be able to reach a consensus on anything if this is a "flotilla" scenario for protection. Ditto on your "Extraction Fleet."

The Sea Lions Foundation - The Ban

Sail on!

Old 11-06-2011, 07:00 PM

Quote:
OK.

Heh, heh ... YOU know what I mean!

Let me rephrase - are you a 501(c)(3) ?
Absolutely not, and we have supporters who have stated that they would have had absolutely nothing to do with us had we been. a 501`(c)3 is forbidden to get involved in politics, which is in direct opposition to our purpose, plan, and faith. We are a private foundation formed to build, staff, launch, and run the 12 Fleets of Sea Lions, and one of the things we will do is send an ambassador to the government of any nation which is persecuting Christians, show them the list of services our missionary fleets provide for free, and tell them plainly that because they persecute us, we will not allow any Sea Lions missionary activity of any sort, nor will the Terraformers be permitted to undertake any project of benefit to that nation until the persecution stops.

That sort of thing will get your 501(c)3 yanked so fast it will make your head spin.

In any event, the Federal Government has no right to grant nor withhold permission for us to do as we're doing.

Quote:
Have you filed a Form 1023 to aid in being recognized as Federally exempt?
No one is claiming any sort of tax exemption. Everyone involved pays whatever taxes they owe, and puts money into this mutual undertaking after taxes. If the Ericsson Council or the Sea Lions Foundation ever make a profit which is not put into legitimate operational expenses, they will pay whatever taxes are appropriate. We never anticipate such a thing because we expect to always be growing as fast as we can purchase materials. Even the "profit sharing" we pay to Members when they launch doesn't come from money that would legally create a tax obligation; if you spend it all on operations, there's no profit, and no tax. Clear enough?

Quote:
Do ANY part of the monetary earnings from this organization inure to an individual?
Aside from commissions from sales in our commercial division, Sound Wisdom Life Products, and administrative salaries, licensing fees, that sort of stuff, no. At some point in the future, we may have to make a business arrangement with someone to raise additional funds or accomplish some other goal, in which case they will of course be paid as agreed. The Foundation Board has already established that possibility, and they have the right to do that.

Quote:
And a personal observation, if I may - how do Christian values, obviously a large part of your plan, and ARMED BOATS go together?
Then I must refer you to our King, who stated in Luke 22:36, "Let he that has no sword sell his coat and buy one." If you require further explanation, please speak to Him about it, I'm sure He'll be happy to tell you anything you'd like to know.

Quote:
Not mockery - sarcasm. And cynicism, born of experience.
I'm sorry to hear that. It dims the learning abilities and critical evaluation functions. Over time, it can render one incapable of learning at all. I sincerely hope that never happens to you.

Quote:
A year and a half is for ONE ship or three? If the latter, then 6 months average build-time per ship?
A year and a half builds three Corvettes, according to projections from the design team: the Corvette should take right about 800 man-hours to build, and 800 x 3 = 2400, a bit under a year and a half of forty hour weeks. We make it clear in the Membership Agreement that the ratio will remain three to one no matter what, though the actual number of hours will change over time as we improve production methods

Quote:
By the way - you might want to investigate (if for no other reason than for personal edification) the differences between a BOAT and a SHIP - you might be surprised at what you find.
Modern myth. That was one of the first things we did, ten years ago, because we'd all heard it too. Boat=ship=boat. You have to go back to the age of sail to find a distinction, where "ship" meant at least three masts, and only square rigged. Cutters, schooners, and sloops were NOT ships, no matter how large nor how many lifeboats they carried. There used to be a difference between a coat and a jacket, too.

Quote:
OK, now it's $100 - that's a bit more reasonable.

You've placed yourself in the public eye and had the (bad?) luck to be linked to on a very large and popular privately-held public forum - that's what you've done to deserve my "observations".
We can handle it.

Quote:
I'm still not convinced. I lived on a houseboat full-time for 8 months and I can honestly say that I could not just tie up anywhere. In fact, a few fellows once persuaded me to seek alternate moorings at the wrong end of a trio of 12-gauges. I can't see that it would be much easier in End Times.
You can't just tie up anywhere, you can tie up lots of places; big difference. In any event, if you're here in the US, you want to be near a boat launch because they have parking lots attached, where you can put your car when you unload it. That means you're on or near a very public body of water, where you can drop anchor and use your shoreboat to get to shore and tie up at the public dinghy dock.

Quote:
And if there are still laws in effect, you'll probably be in violation of at least a handful of them - private property and all that.
No, property laws reach only to the high water mark of a river, though the landowner owns the bed of an un-named creek flowing through his property. Some states vary on the creek law, but the river law is nationwide. The trio that drove you off had the right to keep you from tying to anything at the high water mark or higher, but absolutely no right to run you off that stretch of river. You were wise to have left, though, you might have spotted their pot field accidentally, and been in real trouble.

Quote:
As for that solar-powered RV - I believe one of the advantages of paying for a campsite is security. In times of conflict, you'd be missing that element by tying up just anywhere.
I'd be missing out on security by staying away from the crowded areas which are most likely to be full of hungry, dirty, angry people? You lost me.

In any event, when things are bad in a given location, I'll either be on a missions team working together specifically to come to that area, with proper security procedures including standing watch, OR, I'll have left that area, because that's one of the key points to owning a LifeYacht to begin with.

Quote:
Although concrete hulls DO last indefinitely, their one main drawback is when you crack them in a major collision - almost impossible to repair properly. Something to be considered in a SHTF craft.
And when you build them with separate flotation compartments, the collision leakage is automatically confined, and you continue floating and making speed, unlike almost any other craft after the same catastrophic event. I'm sorry, what was the question?

Oh, yes, and after you've limped back to the Construction Fleet, if you're a Sea Lion, we might give you a new one or have you do some or all of the work to build a new one, and if you're in one of the other groups, well, you know the drill...get busy. You'll be back on the water before you know it.

That's assuming the damage wasn't properly repairable on one of our floating drydocks.

Quote:
Trading world-wide? Interesting concept ... if you can find a friendly "port".
Friendly ports are a variable. One of the reasons we emphasize worldwide trade is to establish relationships with local officials, become friends. Our worldwide reach will give us the ability to make lots of friends in the harbor authority structure. With smallish cargo capacity, we'll only be carrying the high-value stuff, and can often persuade the customer to rent a boat and come meet us in international waters to make the exchange, where there is no customs requirement for us, and the "hostile port" problem is obviated.

Quote:
OK. That still leaves some questions unanswered, but I won't bother you further.

Now it's starting to sound like a pyramid arrangement. WHO puts up the cash to BUY that Lexan in the first place? Where do they get the money from? From selling the boat?

You're getting free labor - check. You're paying for materials - check. But somewhere there's an imbalance here ...
Not really. With the initial $200K we can build several Corvettes. Selling just one of them brings in $600K, and prompts a dramatic expansion of the construction fleet, and buys materials for several more. Do that cycle several times, and you've got a thousand families working and living at the construction fleet, churning out ships, some of which are theirs, some of which get sold, etc. At that point, you've got the money to get some of the specialized equipment the Terraformers will need, too.

This method also forces responsibility on the Members to solve problems and get the job done. When each ship is finished, the actual work hours it took are announced, and that become the "three times" number for all the people who worked on it. That makes everyone see just how fast they can move; we don't want you hanging around eating from the hydroponic garden and enjoying the collegial atmosphere, we want your bed and your tools freed up for the next person, so we can reach the point where we're building and staffing the 12 Sea Lions Fleets that are the end goal of this exercise. Then we'll shift construction elements over to the Economic Rescue Program, which will bring the poor and dispossessed and give them the same opportunity the Members made for themselves.

[quote=SifuPhil;21603708]Most people didn't have a problem understanding Amway either, but you see where THAT got them ...

Yeah, I remember. We don't do multi-level, though; join or don't, every Voting Member has the same vote.

I'm glad to have been a help with your site - good luck with your endeavors. c

Thanks! And thanks for the insightful questions that let me really lay out a good level of detail and answer some important questions. Most people wouldn't take time to read all this on our website, you know, but on a forum, that's what they're here to do.

Thanks again.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:48 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,523,004 times
Seasteading - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (A basic introduction to seasteading - what it is - past projects, etc...)

Seasteading: Start Your Own Country at Sea - YouTube
Seasteading on CBS Sunday Morning - YouTube
Glenn Beck talks to Joe Lonsdale about Seasteading - YouTube

Seasteading Institute This organization has been around for quite a few years. They have produced some nice documents include a 321 page book on seasteading which is an interesting read, though a bit hard to find on their web site. I'll link the book below:

http://seasteading.org/seastead.org/book_beta/full_book_beta.pdf (broken link) (Seasteading book in .pdf format)

The layout to their site sucks royally, but if you poke around the menus, some of the stuff is interesting, and there's a lot more to the site than the really poor menu layout makes clear.

Seasteading: A Practical Guide To Homesteading The High Seas

-------------------------

I have a friend that is into the seasteading stuff, and though I find it intriguing, I am a land lover. I'd rather gravitate towards the micronation concept, if it were a choice between the two:

Republic of Minerva - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia The Republic of Minerva was an interesting micronation created in 1972 by creating an artificial island from a preexisting atoll in the pacific ocean, located by the island-nation of Tonga (that location was apparently the source of their troubles. The other problem being a lack of guns and people willing to use them to send those fat Tongan bastards to 'hell,' where they belong). If you've never heard of it, skim the Wikipedia article. I prefer this kind of idea to being on the high seas, but obviously they each have their own advantages and disadvantages, so it ultimate reduces to consumer preference.

At the time, the engineering aspects of Republic of Minerva artificial island were probably viewed as overly ambitions (though as you can see, they did manage to accomplish the build). Nowadays, these artificial islands and archipelagos, though still technically challenging, are very much a reality. "The World" project in Dubai showed it could be done on a grande scale, and with much lavishness and luxury, provided the bankroll was there (as well as sufficient public interest to help pay back the initial bankroll). 'The World' project seems to have collapsed, though the reason for that was the project may have been overly ambitious (not enough consumer demand), combined with some technical issues.... the sea began to slowly eat away at the artificial islands.

Dubai World Islands - YouTube - The World (promo 1)
The World - Dubai - YouTube - The World (promo 2)

-------------------------

Principality of Sealand - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - The Principality of Sealand is another interesting project that proved to be more than mere fanciful dreaming, having existed since 1967.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:53 PM

25,747 posts, read 18,818,821 times
Quote:
You might want to look into lighter-than-air craft. You could trick one out as a flying motor home for less than the cost of a house, with most of the same systems we use on LifeYachts. Seriously. Don't laugh until you've done a little research; it can be done.
Sorry... but I had to laugh...

Actually, I've always had an intense interest in the zeppelins/airships of old, from the LZ1 to the LZ130. I've studied them, drawn them, modeled them, read about them, and have had many, many nights dreams over the years of flying them, landing them, and taking off (seriously) as a crew member or captain. I've always thought they were the coolest things to ever grace the skies. If reincarnation is true, I'm sure I was a zeppelin officer or perhaps a rigger or something in a previous life.

HOWEVER, I just don't see this as being a practical alternative in a SHTF situation--even though I wish it were. I'd be captain in a heartbeat!

Quote:
Point here is, whatever you do, because "they" are using things like Fukushima to render huge swathes of territory uninhabitable, we think you absolutely must have mobility without a financial cost, like a plane ticket or paying the money to relocate somewhere. The availability of money is too unpredictable.

That's one of the key factors in the design of LifeYachts; we don't want to spend time at sea any more than anyone else. I, for one, will only be on the ocean long enough to cross it to get whereever I think the situation is calmer than wherever I left. Then, I'll unload my jeep, park the LifeYacht at the riverbank, put down my gangplank, call it a houseboat, and go get a job or whatever. Then if things get nasty in that area, I'll move again.

It's only possible to oppress someone who can't get away from you.
But the thing is, you won't get any farther on the sea with bad guys all around you than you will on land with bad guys all around you. The difference is, it's a little hard to hide from a missile frigate or a pirate ship on the high seas. Of course, it's also hard to hide from a cobra gunship or Mad Max on land... but I'll take my chances there, methinks.

Last edited by ChrisC; 11-06-2011 at 08:06 PM..

Old 11-06-2011, 08:02 PM

Default Not yet, thanks for asking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Where are photos of these completed ships on the water? You do have at least one or two demos don't you?
Not yet. Because we knew this would be greeted with a great deal of skepticism (the members of this board have been quite kind and restrained; some of what we get is not repeatable), to help raise the funds, we started Sound Wisdom Life Products, which manufactures the world's only 5,000 Watt Solar Powered Generator system, which can be expanded with solar panels and batteries at your own rate, from whatever source, to the point where it can take your whole house off the grid full time.

That has taken all the time for the past year and a half, and it's past the teething stage.

So, no we have no floating demos nor models yet.

The next step is scale-models made from concrete or plaster, to demonstrate to those who've never seen it that rock floats if you shape it right, and to let them see insides decked out with doll furniture, and some of the functional features, like individual flotation compartments. Then come demos, but when we have demos completed, we won't need help anymore: we'll be able to get regular investment, with all the proper SEC filings, and go into business under our own terms. One of the reasons we're offering this to the public is to shorten that time while spreading the benefit, and front-loading our leadership pool from the people who put up a stake and help make it happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness