Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 11:18 AM

869 posts, read 1,493,770 times

Advertisements

I am just starting to get into canning. I would really like to do some home canning as a way to move toward self sufficency a bit more. We already have some stored food but I would like something a bit more reliable, and long term than store bought food plus I would like the peace of mind that what I have is preservative free and fresh. Any advice from seasoned canners?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 11:37 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,626,918 times
I'm wondering what benefits are from canning vs jarring. Jarring is what my family does.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:50 AM

Pretty sure its the same thing. Jarring as in glass mason/ball jars? same as canning.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:58 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave5150 View Post
I am just starting to get into canning. I would really like to do some home canning as a way to move toward self sufficency a bit more. We already have some stored food but I would like something a bit more reliable, and long term than store bought food plus I would like the peace of mind that what I have is preservative free and fresh. Any advice from seasoned canners?
Spend the money for a high-quality pressure canner. It is the best investment you can make.

Also, there are many on-line places where you can buy jars, lids and bands at a very reduced price over retail. Seek them out.

There is a very informative yahoo group here Canning2 : Canning2 that is very helpful.

You can also check out http://www.homesteadingtoday.com as they are experts and very knowledgeable about such things.

Another good place for canning supplies (although they are pricey, in some cases and you can find them elsewhere) is http://www.lehmans.com/

Here is some good basic information, http://ucfoodsafety.ucdavis.edu/files/26457.pdf and your local county extension agent will also have good information.

Canning is awesome. This past year we were unable to have a garden and I miss putting up those veggies for winter!

Good luck and dm me if you have any other questions. I'll answer them if I can.

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-17-2011, 12:17 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,482,288 times
I agree with Branson! Canning and root-cellaring are two of the best skills you can have for preserving fresh food grown yourself, or bought at a farmer's market. We are buying locally at this time, and DW and I, as a team, are able to put up a good 3 dozen quarts in one evening. So much more helpful if you have someone else to share the work.

I recommend you pick up a copy of the "Ball Blue Book" put out by the folks who make the Ball canning jars...the methods there are SAFE and work just as well with Kerr jars. Invest in a quality pressure canner, such as the All-American line. If you just want to put up pickles and preserves, a simple steamer/boiling water bath model will do. But I got the impression that you'd like to can veggies and possibly stews (with meats) as we do. That way, we just open a jar...and supper's ready!

As for longevity, find a space to store your canned food that is 1) dark, and 2) slightly cool. You definitely don't want sun shining on those jars, nor do you want to store them near a radiator or other heat source. The basement is good if you have a dry one (the lids get rusty if it's damp). Did I already mention keeping it SAFE? Be sure to adhere to those temperatures and cook times as the book tells you. Botulism can be fatal -- but you won't get that if you follow the instructions.

Happy canning!

Old 11-17-2011, 12:23 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,626,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave5150 View Post
Pretty sure its the same thing. Jarring as in glass mason/ball jars? same as canning.
Oh. When I hear "canning" I think of aluminum cans and some special machine or device to can it shut.

Old 11-17-2011, 01:05 PM

Most people who home store refer to it as "canning" not "jarring" but it is defnately the same thing

Old 11-17-2011, 05:13 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,683,581 times
Wow. I get off work, see this thread, go to it to help, and all the good advice is posted already! LOL

A good pressure canner is absolutely necessary for anything that doesn't contain acid, like pickles in vinegar or tomatoes. The Big Blue Ball book not only tells you how to can everything (even things you might never think that you could!) but has some pretty good recipes for both canning and useage afterwards.

You can also buy large quantities of meats and vegies when they are on sale and can them immediately in your pressure canner.

Old 11-21-2011, 01:08 PM

43 posts, read 53,794 times
You will want a canning pressure cooker -- these are larger than the pressure cookers for cooking a pot roast. You are best off buying new or nearly new rather than vintage. You want to make sure the rubber seal inside the lid is in good conditon and that the pressure gauge is accurate -- there are places that can test the pressure gauge for you. You will need a metal rack designed to fit in the bottom of your pressure canner and specially designed tongs to safely lift hot canning jars from the pressure cooker. You will need glass canning jars -- buy new or used by the boxful -- they come in various sizes. You will need metal jar rings -- these can be re-used but do discard any that are rusty. Most importantly you will need new jar lids -- never re-use jar lids -- it is crucial that your jar lids are in perfect condition so you can get a good seal so the canned food will not spoil in your pantry. The big supermarkets in rural and suburban areas carry canning jars, rings and lids in the baking goods section. The web sites of several state's country extension services have complete home canning guides online with lots of recipes including those for canning wild game meat and fish. Make sure you exactly follow the printed instructions that come with your pressure canner or you could have an explosive result (and food and broken glass all over the kitchen ceiling) if you open the canner before the pressure has sufficiently dropped. Follow canning recipes exactly -- foods that are not naturally acidic (corn, potatoes, meat) have to be handled differently from acidic foods to prevent spoilage after canning. A good canning guide will tell you how to check to make sure you have achieved a good seal on your canned goods and what to do if a jar does not seal properly. Make sure you have a heavy-duty shelving system for storing yur home-canned goods as this way of preserving food is very heavy and the jars are easily breakable.

Old 05-05-2012, 03:14 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Found this great website filled with canning tips: http://www.simplycanning.com/#axzz1u1iU4Y7x
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness