Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 10:30 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
I guess, then, I am a terrorist (NOT!)
I have a supply of food that will support 4 people for over a year, and it all has a shelf life up to 15 years. A year would give me enough time to set up a few acres of crop production.

Currently, designing a wood-fired steam generation system, to provide electricity (I am on a lot of land with wooded forests). Also PV cells, etc.
It would be great if you would start a thread about that. I have more timberland than I could ever use in my lifetime, probably in dead fall alone, and this sounds like a smart alternative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 01:30 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,668,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
7 days of food makes you a terrorist?
Because people who can fend for themselves are not easily manipulated or controlled.

Homeland security tells people to stock "at least 3 days of food", but to go as far as 7 days sends up a red flag? Okie dokie.

Also from your vid: They want to declare the US a battlefield. Haven't they done that already? For what other reason is Homeland Security equipping civilian police departments with military firepower to "fight terrorism."

Apparently North Dakota is a hotbed of terrorists.

Local Cops Ready for War With Homeland Security-Funded Military Weapons
But that hasn’t stopped authorities in Fargo and its surrounding county from going on an $8 million buying spree to arm police officers with the sort of gear once reserved only for soldiers fighting foreign wars.

The buying spree has transformed local police departments into small, army-like forces, and put intimidating equipment into the hands of civilian officers. And that is raising questions about whether the strategy has gone too far, creating a culture and capability that jeopardizes public safety and civil rights while creating an expensive false sense of security.

“The argument for up-armoring is always based on the least likely of terrorist scenarios,” says Mark Randol, a former terrorism expert at the Congressional Research Service, the nonpartisan research arm of Congress. “Anyone can get a gun and shoot up stuff. No amount of SWAT equipment can stop that.”

And this is no surprise:
The U.S. Homeland Security Department says it doesn’t closely track what’s been bought with its tax dollars or how the equipment is used.

Old 12-22-2011, 01:43 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
I even gave long-term food storage (freeze dried) to some friends & family members for Christmas this year so they could be suspected terrorists too!

Old 12-22-2011, 08:11 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,932,453 times
With the NDAA now don't be surprised to see people harassed for this.

Luckily you aren't likely to include raw milk products in such a supply so at least they can't bust you for that.

And ironically who probably stashes more food away than anybody else? Yes you guessed it. The government.

Old 12-23-2011, 02:30 PM

3,244 posts, read 7,448,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
It would be great if you would start a thread about that. I have more timberland than I could ever use in my lifetime, probably in dead fall alone, and this sounds like a smart alternative.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Once I do a fair amount of more research, I can start a thread.
These things can be a little bit dangerous. I lean on the conservative side, and want all the safety valves/equipment in place.
For old equipment, they are easy to find (the raw components).
I saw a few old steam locomotives for sale, but that is way overkill, as I only want to power a house (let's say 25kW), not half a city block.
Obviously diesel or kerosene is a much easier way to generate electricity, but if the wood is free, and you have the time and energy.....

A 50-75HP Monotube boiler is about 36" in diameter, will give you about 30kW-50kW net, weighs about 350lbs, but it is running under a lot of pressure. Then you need a water separator, a water trap, hydrostatic lubricator, etc.

You can get a motor/generator surplus easily...

When I was a kid we used to buy stuff from Young Engineering in Salem, MA, (they are still there), but that was 35 years ago.

I can weld. but leave the critical stuff up to a professional welder.

It is a fair amount of work (but the sound of them is awesome when they run at full output ;-)

I think it is only really practical if you cannot get access to diesel, gas or kerosene (or you like to play with really old technology, or have a lot of wood and time available.)

Old 12-28-2011, 11:20 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet_ohara View Post
Because people who can fend for themselves are not easily manipulated or controlled.

Homeland security tells people to stock "at least 3 days of food", but to go as far as 7 days sends up a red flag? Okie dokie.

Also from your vid: They want to declare the US a battlefield. Haven't they done that already? For what other reason is Homeland Security equipping civilian police departments with military firepower to "fight terrorism."

But that hasn’t stopped authorities in Fargo and its surrounding county from going on an $8 million buying spree to arm police officers with the sort of gear once reserved only for soldiers fighting foreign wars.

The buying spree has transformed local police departments into small, army-like forces, and put intimidating equipment into the hands of civilian officers. And that is raising questions about whether the strategy has gone too far, creating a culture and capability that jeopardizes public safety and civil rights while creating an expensive false sense of security.

“The argument for up-armoring is always based on the least likely of terrorist scenarios,” says Mark Randol, a former terrorism expert at the Congressional Research Service, the nonpartisan research arm of Congress. “Anyone can get a gun and shoot up stuff. No amount of SWAT equipment can stop that.”

And this is no surprise:
The U.S. Homeland Security Department says it doesn’t closely track what’s been bought with its tax dollars or how the equipment is used.

homeland security says 3 days worth of food and water, but fema says 2-3 weeks worth of the same. wish they would tall each other who is or wrong. heck, I wish both would just go away, sort of like how the dodo bird did.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:42 AM

742 posts, read 678,590 times
So the cut off is seven days? How about people who do their shopping at the end of the month, to at least last 2 and a half 3 weeks? Lunacy!!!

Old 01-10-2012, 11:09 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet_ohara View Post

And this is no surprise:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
With the NDAA now don't be surprised to see people harassed for this.

Luckily you aren't likely to include raw milk products in such a supply so at least they can't bust you for that.

And ironically who probably stashes more food away than anybody else? Yes you guessed it. The government.

Quote:
Homeland Security monitors journalists

Freedom of speech might allow journalists to get away with a lot in America, but the Department of Homeland Security is on the ready to make sure that the government is keeping dibs on who is saying what.
Under the National Operations Center (NOC)’s Media Monitoring Initiative that came out of DHS headquarters in November, Washington has the written permission to retain data on users of social media and online networking platforms.

Specifically, the DHS announced the NCO and its Office of Operations Coordination and Planning (OPS) can collect personal information from news anchors, journalists, reporters or anyone who may use “traditional and/or social media in real time to keep their audience situationally aware and informed.”

Homeland Security monitors journalists — RT

For those who do doubt:

Quote:
Collection of Information

Requirement: OPS/NOC is permitted to collect PII on the following categories of individuals when it lends credibility to the report or facilitates coordination with federal, state, local, tribal, territorial, foreign, or international government partners: 1) U.S. and foreign individuals in extremis situations involving potential life or death circumstances; 2) senior U.S. and foreign government officials who make public statements or provide public updates; 3) U.S. and foreign government spokespersons who make public statements or provide public updates; 4) U.S. and foreign private sector officials and spokespersons who make public statements or provide public updates; 5) names of anchors, newscasters, or on-scene reporters who are known or identified as reporters in their post or article or who use traditional and/or social media in real time to keep their audience situationally aware and informed; 6) current and former public officials who are victims of incidents or activities related to Homeland Security; and 7) terrorists, drug cartel leaders, or other persons known to have been involved in major crimes of Homeland Security interest.
That's from "...NOC Media Monitoring Initiative" dated November 15, 2011, which you can find here at the DHS web-site:

http://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/p...initiative.pdf

Remember is the government, not you, who defines who and what a "terrorist" is, and that definition constantly changes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness