Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 07:38 AM

373 posts, read 635,277 times

Advertisements

Any thoughs on watch dogs. We had a small female terrier dog for may years that stayed outside for many years that did a very good job of running off
petty thieves and possibly worse.

The dog would bark and carry on it strangers came into the the area.
But was too small to tear someone's face off and cause civil or crimnal liabilty.

My wife could understand the many different barks the dog had. A stray male terrier came by, my pronounced the dog worthless. And proved to be be correct in that it only barks at people it knows. After about a month I just let the dog loose. Even I could walk into the grounds at 3 am and not a peep out of the dog. I would have to deliberately make alot of noise of call the dog. The dog still runs around the are area like before.

She like the old dog alot. Because it looked out for the human family.

Any advice on watch dogs. The dog that died of old age, likely had been pepper sprayed by the postal carrier more then once. But was a good barking dog before that. I had been able to identify thieves and drug abusers in the past thanks to the dog. Those people were not afraid of the dog, but hated and feared the Peckerwood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 09:08 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,470,411 times
Before you get a guard dog, get an umbrella insurance policy. It only costs a couple hundred dollars per year for a couple million. Think about it as though you got a dog that weighs 30 pounds more and it is the extra dog food you would have to buy. Then if the dog rips some intruder apart, the insurance will cover it. they may cancel you on the 2nd or third incident, but by then you will be have time to figure out another approach if you have to. I say "before" because, like having a trampoline in the yard, you may not get the coverage if they figure out that Spot is more than a house pet.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:00 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,593,857 times
My sister has been raising Black labs for years. They are definitely house pets, and quite loveable. They are also Huge, Black, Noisy, and they scare away everyone who doesn't personally know them.

Old 11-30-2011, 11:21 AM

668 posts, read 2,186,769 times
Pit bulls and Rottweiliers are being banned from a lot of Communities, because of thier viciousness, and the attacks they do on innocents, as they escape from enclosures.

I like collies. They will bark at people who come near the fenced in yard, and great house pets. (Ive had collies for 30 years, and as each one expires, I get a replacement. But, you gotta watch to, Ive had them stolen right out of the yard, (no signs of digging anywhere, so it had to be a thief). Females are the best ones for me. Especially if I want them to come in the house...no marking of territory LOL...

I wish you well...

Jesse

Old 11-30-2011, 08:38 PM

2,398 posts, read 3,833,823 times
I like Airedales. They are terriers of size with big dog barks and big dog teeth that are very loyal and protective of their domain, though only one of the three that we've had might have bitten an intruder had there been the occasion, but folks with any sense tend to stay away when the dog is barking. The downside is that Airedales are a handful to raise. Slow to mature, too smart for their own good and stubborn. Some are runners so you need a good fence and lots of patience. Not for a novice dog owner. Once they get past about age 4, they become really good dogs if patiently trained.

We also have a terrier/border collie mix and she is one seriously alert dog that makes a ruckus if something is outside but she's too small to really stop a determined intruder.

Check before you get a "protective" breed like dobermans, german shepherds as well as pit bull and the like as many home owner's insurance either won't cover or will charge extra. Good luck finding the right dog.

Old 12-01-2011, 05:57 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,686,242 times
I have owned many dogs over the years; most were x-breeds. Two of the most protective ones we've ever had were x'es; one was a border collie/spaniel cross, the other was a "spoodle" - spitz and poodle. They were pretty and fluffy - and I saw them back full-grown men up against fences, ripped and bleeding, screaming to be rescued. I've had an afghan, and multiple collies, shelties, a german spaniel, golden retrievers - and my experience is that any dog who is basically intelligent and loyal is a good protector, or can be trained to be so.

The only dog who wasn't was the afghan - she didn't really care who walked into the yard, she was a supermodel and expected to be praised, petted, and ooohed and ahhhed over! She did however kill small animals just for fun that invaded her territory. Used to freak out the neighbors, because she would do it swiftly, usually without barking or warning, and laughing the whole time like it was a big joke. The one pit bull we raised from a pup would go after any intruder, full speed and bounding - the only problem was that she would stand on her hind legs, throw her paws around their necks, and proceed to lick them effusively and joyfully, "You came to PLAY!!" She never bit anyone. Those who fled from her in terror would disappear, and she would throw herself down on the ground and pout. "No PLAY??"

You don't need a big threatening dog, all you need is one that is territorial and protective. Some herding dogs like collies, shelties, and even corgis are more protective of younger children and animals than adult humans, but most expect the large human to be the alpha. A friend had a harlequin Great Dane who was HUGE and terrifying to look at - but he was a Ferdinand, more prone to begging for attention than protectiveness. We found that shelter rescues who were not beaten down and terrified were often the most loyal and protective; once they were part of our family, we were THEIRS by golly and they would kill for us... or at least make others believe that they would.

Last edited by SCGranny; 12-01-2011 at 06:05 AM..

Old 12-01-2011, 08:17 AM

373 posts, read 635,277 times
Default Liability is and issue

Liability is and issue. I have noticed small Chihuahuas tend to make alot of noise. By personality I have thought of getting one of those

The now gone dog really carried on but was not large or strong enough to injure anyone. She had a tantrum if anyone came near. I would find spent pepper sprays from time to time from the letter carrier. She also got other dogs carrying on to alert people in the area. She likely wieght less then 10 pounds. If she really did want to go after someone, not likely to be able to do much damage. She made skells think the police might be coming or even worse the owner.

My wife instantly pronounced the new dog as worthles even though it lookd just like the old one except was a male vs female. I thought it would bond and then start protecting. Not at all. It was a stray that just showed up and the old dog died less then a week later. It would only bark at people it knew. Even I could sneak into the yard at night, and would have to wake the dog up by making alot of noise at night to get any reaction.

So we just opened the gate, and stopped feeding it. It no longer comes by very much at all. It was and error to start feeding it in the first place.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:20 AM

1,183 posts, read 2,889,950 times
We have two very large, protective German Shepherds. I sleep very well at night.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:16 PM

711 posts, read 1,511,617 times
Lookup "caucasion mountain dog" it will be more than enough. It's marketed as a .45 that thinks. The Russians also use them to protect their Military defense bases.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:29 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,470,411 times
My neighbor has this poor old Golden. she had bad hips, arthritis and can barely get up the steps to go in the house. But she has a bark that sounds like a two year old Doberman that hasn't been fed lately. She is kept behind a fence about 40 feet back from the street so she can't be seen, but at night she will let loose if anyone even walks down the street. She does a great job for both of us since she goes nuts when anyone walks up either driveway. So I have a box of huge milkbones and she gets one every time I see her as long as she doesn't bark at me. Works like a charm. I can walk right up to her but she will sound like she will rip the letter carrier to shreds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness