Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 12:54 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
During the great depression one could tell how much money he had by how much he weighed. The fatter the richer. But this depression it is just the opposite because poor people will be eathing at fast food restaurants and therefore the fattest.
Really? How can they afford to eat at a fast food place? That junk is expensive. Here's an idea. How about they get up off the couch, turn off the tv, learn a trade, learn to cook, raise their kids. For what a typical lunch costs at McDonald's, I can make a darn good healthy meal for several people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2011, 02:56 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,700,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
It's funny that it appears to me the majority of these people in the food lines and soup kitchens look like they've just eaten a small cow.
Actually, I learned in a Sociology class long ago that poorer people tend to be fatter because they tend to eat a lot of cheap foods and starches. People who have good nutrition aren't generally fat.

Old 12-12-2011, 07:18 AM

373 posts, read 635,388 times
Default I would like to tell them eat the grains and beans or go hungry

[quote=Be Free;22070975]I've heard a lot of food pantries don't want donations of things like dried beans and grains because the people won't take them. No one knows how to cook anymore. They want the quickie foods that they can just open and heat.

to or go hungry. None of the aid programs focus on teaching people who to make good food from scratch that is cheap and not difficult once learned. Let alone grow something or preserve it.

Likely society pays again when the heavy people abuse the medical system too, and then the disability system....

There are local stores who liquidate items that would go to food pantries to paying customers. Such as the $8 bottle of spag sauce for $2. Many of these stores do not bother to advertise or have a good location, they do not need too.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:35 AM

817 posts, read 2,188,862 times
The cooperative extension used to put out free recipe booklets for staple foods and even venison. My sister gave me one of them when I was a dirt poor 19 year old mother. Between that and my crockpot recipe book, we ate pretty decent with not much grocery money.

I always thought that if the food pantries handed out booklets like that and nothing but flours, meats, beans, fruits and vegetables. the truly poor would learn to cook in a hurry and the system gamers wouldn't be standing in the line anymore.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:44 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,907,290 times
Default "Expensive" is relative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Really? How can they afford to eat at a fast food place? That junk is expensive. Here's an idea. How about they get up off the couch, turn off the tv, learn a trade, learn to cook, raise their kids. For what a typical lunch costs at McDonald's, I can make a darn good healthy meal for several people.
I agree that the cheapest way to eat is to cook at home. But if you want someone else to prepare the food and hand it to you hot and ready to eat on a tray, then fast food places are the next cheapest way to eat, and I would not call them "expensive"; after all you can get a typical lunch at McDonald's for about $5. And all those places offer large salads too, which represents a change versus 15 or 20 years ago.

The next step up the expense ladder would be inexpensive restaurants where you sit down and a server comes to take your order off a menu. You can get a meal for around $10, give or take, at such places. Then the ladder continues to go higher and higher at upscale restaurants which I do not frequent.

Even here in Los Angeles, lunch without the beverage bar at Home Town Buffet (a chain) is only $7.17, and I like that because I can eat a high proportion and a wide variety of fresh cooked vegetables and a low proportion of starches (rice, potatoes, pasta) and meat.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:48 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Default Tonight's dinner from freezer to microwave in 4 minutes

1 package Green Giant Antioxidant Blend vegetables (steamer style packet)
4 oz. (approx) pre-grilled fajita style chicken

1 cup hot green tea

total cost $2.25

I'll probably have an orange for desert a bit later so add another $0.30 to that for a grand total of $2.55

Each of the above items was on sale when I bought it. Ate red beans and rice out of my food storage last night, cost was approx $1.75.

Since I'm spending my own money on food I don't waste it at "fast food" places. YMMV

Yes there will be food lines. No, people in general will not be prepared. I've tried to encourage friends and they are uncomfortable and call having a fully stocked pantry to get by even 3-6 weeks "hoarding". Of course they would also be the first to run to the grocery store and help empty the shelves if a snowstorm were predicted the next day.

Last edited by lifelongMOgal; 12-12-2011 at 05:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness