Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 10:26 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,521,791 times

Advertisements

I was walking through the supermarket and happened to notice a huge bag of dehydrated corn. Seemed a good price at only $4.50 for a 5 pound bag (really decent sized bag.... would probably last quite a while.) That seems about 6 times cheaper (or more) than the going price, if I'm not mistaken.

Know which aisle it was in? Pet food. It's bird feed.

Now, I don't know what kind of crap they put in bird food.... and I'm sure the government might not take kindly to it being sold for human consumption the same way they probably have a fit that some people buy pet meds from feed stores because they are suitable for human consumption... but looking at the bag of dehydrated corn, it seemed fairly clean. Looked on the label, didn't really seem to indicate it was anything but corn. Don't think it said not for human consumption.

It seemed to have some 'junk' in it like corn husk parts that didn't get filtered out to the same extent it would if it were for human sale, but other than that, I'll guess it's just corn. I may try it as an experiment.

In any case, if you ever get really desperate with money.... that seems a hell of a lot better than eating cat food.

I read that some bird corn can have poison fungicide on it (not toxic to birds, apparently), though it's supposed to be readily visible. Experiment at ones own risk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2011, 05:40 AM

817 posts, read 2,188,243 times
They might have some real nasties in there, be careful. And it's probably field corn, which won't taste like sweet corn.

I know of someone who gets 50 lb. bags of corn at her local feed mill. She knows that they don't add any nasties to it at that mill, and just separates the garbage from the kernels at home. She uses it for corn flour and meal though (using a grain mill), not like sweet corn.

I once knew a guy who was stealing the farmer's ready to harvest field corn behind his house for popcorn. He said it was delicious and popped up into huge pieces. Never tried it myself though.

Old 12-11-2011, 08:59 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,166,492 times
X2 on it being field or feed corn and not sweet corn.

I don't know how that guy got the field corn to pop?
I have yet to get any of it to pop in my corn stove.
The kids threw some poping corn in the hopper one time.
It was kind of funny, kind of..

Old 12-12-2011, 09:50 AM

25,690 posts, read 18,773,845 times
I have a few buckets of dried "field corn"/dent corn. I have cooked it a few times just to try/taste it (no point of storing it if I can't eat it). Let's just say it was food. It stores well, can be used for meal (for bread, etc) or just soaked in water, salted, boiled, and eaten. I don't expect it to taste like a gourmet meal--a gourmet meal will go bad in a day or so, and the corn will store for up to 30 years (if done properly). Used for it's intended purpose, I don't think I'll be worried too much about how my food tastes if my world is crumbing around me...

Old 12-12-2011, 10:05 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
a HUGE percentage of corn grown in this country is Genetically Modified (thanks to Monsanto who is trying to get a monopoly on all commercial farming). No one has tested the effects of GMO products over the long term and there is some very convincing evidence that it can cause organ failure as well as possibly auto-immune issues.

I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole. You are much better off to grow your own non-hybridized open-pollinated corn and dry it for future consumption.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-13-2011, 12:26 PM

3,489 posts, read 6,507,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
No one has tested the effects of GMO products over the long term and there is some very convincing evidence that it can cause organ failure as well as possibly auto-immune issues.
First and foremost, I'm not trying to be argumentative here, okay?

If it hasn't been tested long-term (and the term hasn't yet been long enough, right?), then what you're citing isn't "evidence" in the strictest definition of the term. It would be far more accurate to say that "there are indications...". One can characterize the indications as "some" or "strong", of course.

Regards,

-- Nighteyes

PS:
What most Americans don't realize is that virtually ALL of our food supply has been genetically modified in some way. Some of it has been by selective breeding, of course, but a distressingly large portion has been by genetic "engineering" and manipulation. My favorite example is tomatoes. Those available for purchase in the supermarket are nice and red and firm. Because they have been engineered to withstand the harvesting and transportation-to-market processes, however, their skins are rather thick and they taste much like styrofoam. Their nutritional value is also similar to styrofoam.

Just my $0.02

-- N.E.

Last edited by Nighteyes; 12-13-2011 at 12:36 PM..

Old 12-13-2011, 02:33 PM

25,690 posts, read 18,773,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
My favorite example is tomatoes. Those available for purchase in the supermarket are nice and red and firm. Because they have been engineered to withstand the harvesting and transportation-to-market processes, however, their skins are rather thick and they taste much like styrofoam. Their nutritional value is also similar to styrofoam.

Just my $0.02

-- N.E.
[/color][/color]
Boy, you got that right. Hideous. I think I'd rather eat styrofoam.

Old 12-13-2011, 02:46 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,687,088 times
nighteyes,

I suggest you do some research on GMO's. A CD post is not enough to explain the adversity of GMO's and the seed take over by Monsanto. Mother nature uses natural selection that has worked well for a long time. Monsanto is motivated by greed and does not care one iota if they kill millions of people in the process of making a profit.

I trust natural food created by mother nature in lieu of a manmade attempt at profiteering.

Old 12-13-2011, 03:53 PM

[quote=donsabi;22105019] nighteyes,

I suggest you do some research on GMO's.[ /quote]

I have, and I happen to know my backside from third base on the subject. Your point being...??

Old 12-13-2011, 03:55 PM

Somehow the system has "hicupped" and double-posted my response -- all the while not properly citing or posting my response...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness