Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 06:32 PM

15,972 posts, read 9,359,408 times

Advertisements

The latest episode brought up a interesting scenario in a SHTF situation... Dealing with strangers you don't know and not knowing what their intentions are.

It's understandable that Hershel was uncomfortable with the presence of the group at his farm. A few episodes back, there was a flashback scene where Ed, Carol and Sophia were stranded on the highway with Lori, Shane and Carl (and I'm guesssing that's how they may have met), and Carol announced that they had a stockpile of MREs to Lori... And Ed rightfully scolded Carol about how stupid it was to say that in that situation.

The show has a lot more to do with zombies. People that are serious about wanting to be prepared for nasty situations (whatever they may be) understand that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 01:28 PM

212 posts, read 319,788 times
NOTICE how nobody considers raiding the military or NG armories, getting plenty of 223 ammo, getting a diesel generator, making some silencers, setting up on an island in a stream or lake, and just braining all of the zombies? :-) There won't be THAT many of em, and there's billions of 223 rds in those armories. The zombies, like most people aint capable of making enough boats and manning them intelligently, to become more of a threat than some careful shooting can't stop.

Old 02-22-2012, 02:25 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,651,453 times
^ I thought the same thing but the group doesent seem to be short on ammo or guns. Also in season one, they passed through a military base i believe and grabbed what guns they could find off the bodies but otherwise the military base was overrun and in ruins.

Old 02-22-2012, 03:45 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,923,468 times
Zombies might not be able to man boats, but they don't need to breath either... so nothing precluding them from eventually just walking across the river/lake bottom to get to your island. (Land of the Dead 2005)

Raiding deserted military armories might be a decent idea... unfortunately, military bases often get used as refugee camps in crises situations. So there would be a ton of people concentrated in a confined area, one or more would inevitably be/become infected, the infection would run rampant, the militia overrun, all the fortifications meant to keep the zombies out would then be keeping them in, and the base would essentially be zombie central. Odds of a successful raid... getting in, through the hoard and back out with minimal casualties AND a good haul of useful supplies... are not promising.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:10 PM

89 posts, read 122,048 times
You are probably right about the raid, but as far as getting you hand on equipment, fuel, MRE's, ammo, weapons etc, etc to me it would almost be worth the risk. Stay as a group, think as one. Have a plan, go and get out quick.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:48 PM

212 posts, read 319,788 times
with 1000 or so rds and 5 Ar's, you could brain all of them within hearing distance of suppressed 223's, betcha! :-) In a very few hours, or a lot less, depending upon the setup and the numbers.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:34 PM

1,743 posts, read 2,155,398 times
Wouldn't all the zombies pretty much decompose into mush and bones within a couple months?
All the survivors have to do is find a good defensible place to hunker down, wait from the zombies to melt, the stench to fade then start a new society.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:17 AM

1,066 posts, read 1,264,689 times
Had to laff at Sunday's episode. It looked like a single zombie had downed a cow, and eaten part of it. The cows I was raised with would have made short work of a single zombie. They would have played zombie toss with it. And eating thru the skin . . . give me a break. Cowhide is tough. I can't imagine chomping thu it! Oh, well, it is still a good TV show.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:11 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,677,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrysue View Post
Had to laff at Sunday's episode. It looked like a single zombie had downed a cow, and eaten part of it. The cows I was raised with would have made short work of a single zombie. They would have played zombie toss with it. And eating thru the skin . . . give me a break. Cowhide is tough. I can't imagine chomping thu it! Oh, well, it is still a good TV show.

Unless the cow chomped through the brain the Zombie is still alive. You can shoot right though the Zombie anywhere in the body and it keeps coming so I can see that it might be able to get a cow.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:44 PM

229 posts, read 584,093 times
Poor Dale
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness