Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 10:01 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,139,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post
Yeah... I've never been part of a subculture. Cool!
Am I part of a sub-subculture? May be I will finally get some acknowledgement from freiends and family...NOT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 11:35 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,673,537 times
Civilization, economy, markets, stocks etc. = what goes up must eventually comes down.
For every "Golden Age" there is a "Dark Age" waiting...

Preparation is always better than the cure, for sometimes the cure comes too late... so prep & be prepped is always the way to go.

But if all else fails...
One can always say one have tried their very best at surviving thus already an ode to mankind & the survival of our species.

IMO.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:50 PM

25,480 posts, read 18,612,470 times
What does it say about the overall culture when rejecting utter dependency is considered a "subculture"?

Baaaaaaaahhhhhhh BaaaaahhhHHHHH ... methinks any of us little sheepsies not following the flock/herd over the cliff makes the rest perplexed and nervous. Damned black sheep anyway! Why would they not want to saunter off the cliff with the rest of the flock/herd?

Old 01-25-2012, 05:36 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,667,898 times
LOL My family has always believed I was crazy.

When I was 10, I grew my own garden and learned to can and cook with fresh vegies and herbs.

When I was 14 I learned to hunt and fish, and butcher what I killed.

When I was 15, I started throwing rose hips and other 'weird things' into salads.

When I was 18 I grew potatoes and strawberries at my home - in the desert.

When I was 21, I worked on a 1000 acre farm in OH, from see-to-cain't-see, learning plowing and harrowing and harvesting on a 1921 John Deere and a M/F Harvester. (yeah, we called it an "M-effer", too.)

When I was 28, I had a full backyard garden, peach and cherry trees out front, and my own chicken yard in the back corner.

When I was 30, I was teaching my kids how to butcher wildkill and our chickens.

When i was 35 I was making my own goats' milk soap, because I was working on a friend's goat farm.

When I was 45, the local gubbermint ordinanced out my chickens and tried to tell me I had to cut down my fruit trees because they wanted all front yards to be barren grass. So I painted my front fence with all sorts of imaginary creatures - among them a Pegasus and Unicorn, with the words "City Council" across the horses' derrieres. The town threatened to sue me. Their attorney contacted me and asked who my attorney was. I told him I didn't need one - I was going on First Amendment rights. They dropped the suit. The fruit trees stayed.

When I was 50 I got tired of all of the ordinances and the town acting like an HOA, so I sold out, packed up, and moved to my current farm. Here I garden and can - and so does everyone else. I hunt - and so does everyone else. I fish - and so does everyone else. I open carry - and so does everyone else. I make what I need - and so does everyone else. I raise my own meat - and so does everyone else.

And my family and friends still think I'm crazy. (Except for the kids - they all do it too.) But the ones who are still speaking to me, still love coming here on their vacations to see and enjoy what I do!

Too bad for them if the S ever does HTF - most of them won't make it here. And I'm the only one they know who does this...

Because I WANT to; I love it, and enjoy it. It isn't a plan for survival - it is a ongoing plan for a rich, fulfilling, and productive life.

Old 01-25-2012, 06:55 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,560,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
What does it say about the overall culture when rejecting utter dependency is considered a "subculture"?

Baaaaaaaahhhhhhh BaaaaahhhHHHHH ... methinks any of us little sheepsies not following the flock/herd over the cliff makes the rest perplexed and nervous. Damned black sheep anyway! Why would they not want to saunter off the cliff with the rest of the flock/herd?
You are quite correct; but don't underestimate their hatred for "the other" and their desire to exact vengeance for not being like them.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:29 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,169,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
Is "the end" finally noticeable enough to get media attention?????

Subculture of Americans prepares for civilization's collapse | Reuters

people will call preppers crazy until the day that they are hungry and their children are hungry. when that day happens, those that are hungry will scream for the goverment to take supplies from those that prepared when they did nothing but call other people crazy and stupid.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:50 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,856,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
You are quite correct; but don't underestimate their hatred for "the other" and their desire to exact vengeance for not being like them.
Sheep detest the sheep dogs because they do not like to be reminded that wolves exist.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:33 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,642,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
Too bad for them if the S ever does HTF - most of them won't make it here. And I'm the only one they know who does this...

Because I WANT to; I love it, and enjoy it. It isn't a plan for survival - it is a ongoing plan for a rich, fulfilling, and productive life.
Good for you! http://bestsmileys.com/clapping/2.gif (broken link)http://bestsmileys.com/clapping/2.gif (broken link)

You've always known what the "good life" really is!

Old 01-27-2012, 08:33 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,179,208 times
Mormons have been "preppers" for as long as they have been in existence. Most people in rural areas keep a well-stocked pantry and plenty of supplies on hand. But now that it has spread to urban areas, it's suddenly a "subculture"?

Old 01-27-2012, 09:04 AM

27,996 posts, read 29,823,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
Mormons have been "preppers" for as long as they have been in existence. Most people in rural areas keep a well-stocked pantry and plenty of supplies on hand. But now that it has spread to urban areas, it's suddenly a "subculture"?
Mormons haven't been preparing so much for civilization's collapse, but for any unforeseen emeregency (loss of job, natural disaster, etc.). It's really not such a bad idea, and if other people are interested in following suit, good for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness