Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 10:49 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,933 times

Advertisements

I went to wally world day before yesterday looking to buy 200# of rice. there was none on the shelves and I was told by the manager that they expected none to arrive for 8-10 days minimum.

has anyone else seen this at their local walmart?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 06:09 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,485,774 times
Yes, I find the inventory at Walmart to be "spotty". They'll have plenty of something for awhile, then I won't find it for a long time again, if ever. We do not do our food shopping there, so I can't speak specifically about the food items. As for the rest of the merchandise, if I see something that I want, I'll either buy it right then and there, or come back in a few days. I find that I cannot depend on them carrying it for too long.

Only reason I can think of for this is that they use certain vendors only, who buy at 'distressed' prices, and if they can't get the item at that price, they don't get it. I've seen items in there that are from just one lot, and when it's gone, it's gone. I would think that rice would be an exception; I'm sure they'll get more, but possibly a different brand.

Join Costco -- prices are at least as good, and the stock is more reliable.

Old 01-25-2012, 06:39 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Wallyworld is a strange animal when it comes time to their shelf stocking.
They take JIT to the extreme so I wouldn't look at them as the norm.

Old 01-25-2012, 06:10 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,509,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Not always with all items, though on rice I'd have to agree.

Old 01-25-2012, 06:12 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,509,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Wallyworld is a strange animal when it comes time to their shelf stocking.
They take JIT to the extreme so I wouldn't look at them as the norm.
The problem with JIT is that it easily becomes JTL ("Just Too Late).

Old 01-25-2012, 06:19 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Yes, I find the inventory at Walmart to be "spotty". They'll have plenty of something for awhile, then I won't find it for a long time again, if ever. We do not do our food shopping there, so I can't speak specifically about the food items. As for the rest of the merchandise, if I see something that I want, I'll either buy it right then and there, or come back in a few days. I find that I cannot depend on them carrying it for too long.

Only reason I can think of for this is that they use certain vendors only, who buy at 'distressed' prices, and if they can't get the item at that price, they don't get it. I've seen items in there that are from just one lot, and when it's gone, it's gone. I would think that rice would be an exception; I'm sure they'll get more, but possibly a different brand.

I already checked costco, they have been out of rice for over a week that is why I was at wallyworld.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:35 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,686,242 times
I don't buy my bulk items at ChinaMart or Costco (there's no costco here, or within 200 miles that I'm aware of). I either buy on my biannual trips to Sam's Club, or get bulk products from places that sell dehydrated or bulk items for food storage.

As a department manager for ChinaMart in one of my previous lives, I can tell you that Nor'Eastah is right. ChinaMart puts out a supply request, sellers come to the table, and ChinaMart tells them what the store will pay - if no seller can come down to/meet that price, there is no purchase made. Sam's Club is run the same way... which is why you might find several palletsful of 50# bags of rice, sugar, or flour one week, and no pallets for several months afterward. Warehouse distribution of the products is done, not according to demand, but according to different 'points' that the stores have with the warehouses. It is why you can buy an entire year's worth of dehydrated, #10 canned foods at one Sam's Club, but at the one 200 miles away, you can't find any - they can't even order it in.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:44 AM

8,041 posts, read 10,632,364 times
SC Granny, you just answered a question for me. I had read online somewhere that Sam's Club had #10 cans of dehydrated food, but when I went to the one near me to check it out, they didn't have any and looked at me like I was speaking a foreign language when I asked about it. I'll try another location, and call first this time.

Old 01-26-2012, 05:03 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,686,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
SC Granny, you just answered a question for me. I had read online somewhere that Sam's Club had #10 cans of dehydrated food, but when I went to the one near me to check it out, they didn't have any and looked at me like I was speaking a foreign language when I asked about it. I'll try another location, and call first this time.
Actually, you can go online and look under "Grocery" and "Dehydrated" or "Food Storage" and you can see what Sam's has. You can also type in any store in their store locator and switch towns, even states - or you can order online and have it shipped (SOMEtimes). Ex. If I go to "my store" in Rapid City, SD, they have no dehydrated foods; but if I type in the one in Omaha, NE - voila! they have it.

Old 02-01-2012, 12:03 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,751,351 times
Perhaps a bit of a rice shortage? Remember 2008?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness