Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2012, 02:06 PM

3,516 posts, read 7,781,563 times

Advertisements

While I'm not an active "Prepper" I think it might be a good idea to have a hand pump on hand for my well (and the hardware on hand at attach it to the well pipe). Actually extras might be a great trade item to neighbors as well. If the power were to fail for an extended period of time, I should be able to attach the hand pump to the well and draw water up with it. Are there any recommended hand pumps I can buy? This should be more functional the "decorative". Also does anyone know if the electric well pump isn't functioning, can I pump water up threw it, or would I be better off pulling it up and installing a new line with the hand pump. I think my well is 30 feet deep, but a hand pump that draws water from 50 feet deep would probably be a better choice.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 02:28 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,678,621 times
Odds are when the pump is off, you wont be able to draw water from the supply line. You should be able to draw whats in the supply line, but not from the well itself.

An alternative to the more complicated system of hand pumps and removing pumps and this and thats is simply use a small power supply for the pump. A small generator with ample fuel supply and a storage container is much more feasible and practical than the other method. Instead of trying to pump a gallon or two when needed, just use the power to enable the pump to draw several hundreds of gallons at once. A small 600 gallon storage container (very common size at any lanscape or feed store) is a lot easier and simpler to fill and use over the chore of pumping it by hand from the ground.

I have a battery system and inverter. The batteries are charged from a standard PV system and on house power. When power is lost, the batteries can power the well pump enough to fill the underground chistern of over 1200 gallons four times before the battery level drops too much to continue powering the pump without damage. But since that amount of water can last a long time, the battereies can begin recharging from the PV system so literally, I will never run out of water and will always have (for practical prepardness) the ability to pump water by a well pump for all practical nneds. This enables you to save you hand power for more important things that trully needs hand power.

Old 05-22-2012, 02:30 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Have you considered a simple pump?

Hand Water Pump or Motorized, by SIMPLE PUMP

Old 05-22-2012, 08:01 PM

346 posts, read 786,228 times
Bison pumps, Houlton Me. ??

Old 05-23-2012, 05:16 AM

3,516 posts, read 7,781,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Have you considered a simple pump?
Perfect, exactly what I had in mind. Thanks

Old 05-23-2012, 12:08 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
Perfect, exactly what I had in mind. Thanks
Head over to Youtube and look up videos on the installation of simple pumps on the channels of engineer775 and wranglerstar.

Old 05-23-2012, 01:25 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,679,925 times
I second the idea of Bison Pump out of Houlton, Maine.

Bison Hand Water Pumps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness