Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 02:39 PM

202 posts, read 472,894 times

Advertisements

I heard about an article that the author said he was predicting that .22 long rifle cartridges will be a method of exchange if the present system collapses. Anyone here heard this or have a link to an article like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2012, 02:47 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1717Guy View Post
I heard about an article that the author said he was predicting that .22 long rifle cartridges will be a method of exchange if the present system collapses. Anyone here heard this or have a link to an article like this?

if the prsent currency system crashes, then ammo could very well be a means of currency, including all kinds of cartridges and reloading supplies.

also if it does happen, then I would be a very rich person with 110,000 rounds of 22LR at home.

Old 02-04-2012, 03:41 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,688,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
if the prsent currency system crashes, then ammo could very well be a means of currency, including all kinds of cartridges and reloading supplies.

also if it does happen, then I would be a very rich person with 110,000 rounds of 22LR at home.

I was thinking along similar lines, monkeywrenching!

Old 02-04-2012, 04:15 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,630,573 times
I wonder if the animal population would last long enough for any cartridge to be sustainable as money. But people seem to stress it many times. How many people have a long rifle or any weapon? I wouldn't want to arm people who aren't prepared. Will an unprepared person who needs these rounds have much to barter for them? I think silver and other stock up items are probably a better barter.

Old 02-04-2012, 07:22 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,442,882 times
In the event of a collapse, I think all of the 22 rimfire cartridges would definitley be an item in big demand. They can't be reloaded (at least not conventionally) and that makes them a one-use/nonrenewable product.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:51 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,681,743 times
Not only will ammo of any kind be used as "money" ("barter" is the true name here) anything else of value from food to labor will be too.

so sharpen up yer trad'in skills............

Old 02-04-2012, 10:39 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,688,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
I wonder if the animal population would last long enough for any cartridge to be sustainable as money. But people seem to stress it many times.
Sugah, I don't think too many folks will be thinking only about the "animal population" in the use of .22 cartridges.

I actually have several 'long rifles'. I prefer a .22 for varmint work; the sound is muted and the effect can be devastating if you have good placement. While blowing great big holes in things gives one a visceral successful feeling, like Steve Martin said in "My Blue Heaven" -
"Richie loved to use 22s because the bullets are small and they don't come out the other end like a 45, see, a 45 will blow a barn door out the back of your head and there's a lot of dry cleaning involved, but a 22 will just rattle around like Pac-Man until you're dead."

As an EMT I have seen this and know it to be true.... once we went to a "shots fired" call and the very fat man was lying in the doorway, dead. Because we did not see any exterior wounds, and he was still warm, protocol demanded that we start CPR. It wasn't until we got the blood flowing that we found a tiny hole in the side of his neck that turned out later to be from a .22 that pierced his carotid. I have worked several .22 shootings where later autopsies showed that the bullets ricocheted off of bones and into soft tissue, leaving trails of destruction. One fellow was shot in the chest while he was standing up; the coroner later found the bullet lodged next to his rectum. ("Wrecked him? It killed him!")

My neighbors and I often talk about ammo and accessories; if one of us is going to Cabela's or a gun show, we will pick up such needed items for each other. It's more than conceivable that things like chocolate, booze, and cartridges will become good barter items. Someone might kill you for your gold and silver, but if you have cartridges, it's a safe bet that you also have what they go into, and are able to put them together with some success.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:48 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,442,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
Sugah, I don't think too many folks will be thinking only about the "animal population" in the use of .22 cartridges.

I actually have several 'long rifles'. I prefer a .22 for varmint work; the sound is muted and the effect can be devastating if you have good placement. While blowing great big holes in things gives one a visceral successful feeling, like Steve Martin said in "My Blue Heaven" -
"Richie loved to use 22s because the bullets are small and they don't come out the other end like a 45, see, a 45 will blow a barn door out the back of your head and there's a lot of dry cleaning involved, but a 22 will just rattle around like Pac-Man until you're dead."

As an EMT I have seen this and know it to be true.... once we went to a "shots fired" call and the very fat man was lying in the doorway, dead. Because we did not see any exterior wounds, and he was still warm, protocol demanded that we start CPR. It wasn't until we got the blood flowing that we found a tiny hole in the side of his neck that turned out later to be from a .22 that pierced his carotid. I have worked several .22 shootings where later autopsies showed that the bullets ricocheted off of bones and into soft tissue, leaving trails of destruction. One fellow was shot in the chest while he was standing up; the coroner later found the bullet lodged next to his rectum. ("Wrecked him? It killed him!")

Quote:
My neighbors and I often talk about ammo and accessories; if one of us is going to Cabela's or a gun show, we will pick up such needed items for each other. It's more than conceivable that things like chocolate, booze, and cartridges will become good barter items. Someone might kill you for your gold and silver, but if you have cartridges, it's a safe bet that you also have what they go into, and are able to put them together with some success.
I've been giving thought to stocking up on 1/2 pint bottles of cheap vodka.

Old 02-05-2012, 01:06 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post

if you are going for the alchohol for barter or trade, then go with shooters instead of 1/2 pint and pint bottles.

Old 02-05-2012, 02:23 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,127,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post

They can distill Booze in prison, it may be worth something (There are some medicinal uses also) but I wouldn't stock too much.

NICE booze, will find more of a market.

as to ammo being money... Despite the "Deathlands" and other stories of it happening... not seeing it.

Valuable commodity, absolutely.

Money: Nope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness