Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 09:37 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,941,237 times

Advertisements

For me, "off the grid" means no hardwire connection to any municipal utilities whatsoever -- power, water, sewer, phone, or cable.

Why I have it ... because places with public utilities also, by definition, have the public. The less people involved in my daily life, directly or indirectly (esp. indirectly!) the better IMO. Plus, I never want to rely on anything that I don't have a significant amount of control over and input into.

"off the map" is off-grid AND off any public roadways

Why I have it -- see above

"off the radar" or "off the network" means having no paper trail, no way to track you (esp. electronically) through various systems

This one is nearly impossible nowadays unless you are doing something illegal (i.e. tax evasion, working under the table, organized crime, living under a fake identity, driving without a license in an unregistered and uninsured vehicle, etc etc). But you can fly as low on the radar and make as small an imprint on the system as possible... the weenies can still find you if they wanted to, but it wouldn't be easy, and you wouldn't be sending up any huge flares drawing attention to yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 12:11 AM

11,049 posts, read 24,011,610 times
We were off the electrical grid but had County water in our last house. This one has electricity and County water. On our island, "off the grid" isn't so much as a choice as a condition of where they live. There are big parts of the island where you don't have a choice to connect or not connect since the electric lines aren't there to connect to. County water is actually harder to get than electricity on our island. A lot of folks have water catchment and have to depend on rain for their water supply. This is everyone in the area, mansions, shacks, everyone. So, I think the term "off the grid" will mean different things depending on where you are. Usually, around here it means you aren't connected to the public electric grid.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:23 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,681,743 times
To be "not reliant on" or "totally independent"
hence "invisible" or "disappear" off society's grips / control... "off the grid" the ideal IMO.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:03 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,682,897 times
Wanna know something weird?

In the almost-four years we've lived here, the power has gone out exactly - twice. Even during a three-day-blizzard, with temps at -40 deg and steady north winds of 60 mph, few of us lost power. The cool thing is that we have an old push-button phone we keep hooked up for emergencies (doesn't need chargers and electricty like our central-house phones) and we used it to call the power company to let them know the power was out. They had a live person at the other end, who told us what had happened, where it had happened, how soon the crews would get there. They asked for our phone number - and called us back to tell us what the crew found and how long they estimated to get it fixed! The power came back on 15 minutes before they said it would.

Juxtapose that against the 20 years we lived on the East Coast, where every summer breeze would take out the power, and when severe storms threatened the power company would tell everyone via radio and TV that they were cutting the power "to avoid damage". Call them at any time of day or night, and you got a recording that asked for your location to file a report of power outage - nothing more. Most of our clocks were old fashioned windups, because you couldn't guarantee when you went to bed at night (even on perfectly clear and windless nights) that an electric alarm would wake you up. We had surge protectors and backup batteries on all of our computers as well as surge protectors on our refrigerator, water heater, and freezers, because the almost constant brownouts and blackouts damaged them otherwise. The power company made a LOT of money selling "whole house" surge protectors... making money off of their own incompetence.

We were "off-grid" more than we ever expected there - and far less than we expected here!

Old 02-08-2012, 07:32 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,481,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
Most of our clocks were old fashioned windups, because you couldn't guarantee when you went to bed at night (even on perfectly clear and windless nights) that an electric alarm would wake you up.
You know, those old-time wind-up clocks and watches -- especially watches -- may take on a new life someday. Everything is electronic now, and either needs a battery, or an A/C plug. I'm constantly looking for old watches that wind-up, having them cleaned and fixed by a jeweler here who does watches as well, putting new straps on them, etc. I have a small collection of good ones, mostly mens', which DW can also wear. I inheritaed my grandfather's gold pocket watch, which I'll always keep. Now I'm on a quest for a good wind-up alarm clock. I have a small wind-up travel alarm, but don't like the tinny bell.

These items may end up being in great demand if the grid goes down long-term!

Old 02-08-2012, 12:33 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,738,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
You know, those old-time wind-up clocks and watches -- especially watches -- may take on a new life someday. Everything is electronic now, and either needs a battery, or an A/C plug. I'm constantly looking for old watches that wind-up, having them cleaned and fixed by a jeweler here who does watches as well, putting new straps on them, etc. I have a small collection of good ones, mostly mens', which DW can also wear. I inheritaed my grandfather's gold pocket watch, which I'll always keep. Now I'm on a quest for a good wind-up alarm clock. I have a small wind-up travel alarm, but don't like the tinny bell.

These items may end up being in great demand if the grid goes down long-term!
Here you go!

Wind Up Alarm Clock | Bulova

Old 02-09-2012, 02:12 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,693,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
In my vocabulary it means "not drawing power from municipal utility", also no water / sewer.

However we have a dear friend who uses the phrase to mean no bank account, no billing, no subscriptions, invisible to the government, untraceable, debt free, cash only, no paper trail, no computer trail, no government records showing where she lives or how to find her.
Can she work a job that isn't under the table
?

Old 02-09-2012, 02:18 PM

37,441 posts, read 61,346,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
Can she work a job that isn't under the table
?
That particular friend [K] is a former NJ school-teacher; she works now strictly on a cash basis. Which is not uncommon here at all.

I see a lot of people around here who work, or market things, as cash only.

I sell farm produce strictly cash. The only farmers around here that I know who do otherwise are those who accept food-stamps.

Of course I do not mean to imply that anyone violates any laws. Everyone should do their utmost to comply with all laws, and file whatever taxes are appropriate.

Old 02-09-2012, 10:08 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,626,348 times
To me off the grid means no pipes or power going from my property, no obligation on going to any job everyday, and to grow / raise your own food. 1800s style.

Old 02-09-2012, 11:09 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,626,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
In my vocabulary it means "not drawing power from municipal utility", also no water / sewer.

However we have a dear friend who uses the phrase to mean no bank account, no billing, no subscriptions, invisible to the government, untraceable, debt free, cash only, no paper trail, no computer trail, no government records showing where she lives or how to find her.
In that extreme case I would add to the list no cell-phone or landlines. Satelites and the landlines are vulnerable to being shut off or knocked out. Unless they have a gift of telepathy, they should also have their loved ones nearby. Life is nothing without them.

Time will probably prove me wrong but I think thats extreme, I'm not that scared of the government or feds and subscriptions can offer valuable info just like the internet does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness