Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 04:28 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,677,986 times

Advertisements

Sometimes the best way to educate the public is to cloak the basic message as entertainment.........

New 'Doomsday Preppers' Show Highlights Extreme Survivalists - Yahoo! News

Doomsday Preppers - National Geographic Channel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 04:34 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,686,242 times
The title alone irritates me...
"Doomsday". It insults and makes fun of people from the get-go.

I wouldn't display my stores to anyone, much less a TV viewing audience. Besides, the way the gubbermint tries to decide if we are all crazy and need to be removed from our homes for our own good and the safety of our neighbors - or worse, to remove children from homes simply because they know the proper names for anatomical parts and functions and put them in "nice" homes where they don't have access to bad things like guns and knowing how to butcher - I would in no way expose my family like that.

Old 02-06-2012, 06:05 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,677,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
The title alone irritates me...
"Doomsday". It insults and makes fun of people from the get-go.

I wouldn't display my stores to anyone, much less a TV viewing audience. Besides, the way the gubbermint tries to decide if we are all crazy and need to be removed from our homes for our own good and the safety of our neighbors - or worse, to remove children from homes simply because they know the proper names for anatomical parts and functions and put them in "nice" homes where they don't have access to bad things like guns and knowing how to butcher - I would in no way expose my family like that.
Not everyone has the insight into the whole preparedness issue that you have.

You have to invite the "children" in before you can 'educate' them....no?

Old 02-06-2012, 09:09 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,686,242 times
Sorry, I disagree.

A sensationalized series might have some good ideas to give to those who are already thinking about self-sustainability.

But the disparaging "Doomsday Prepper" title will give people who think that "God's in his Heaven, all's right with the world" - no matter what has happened to them economically, socially, or politically - another 'enemy' to disparage, insult, and eventually tear down.

The shows a few months ago that some of us discussed on another thread did everything but post "the featured preppers" ' address and phone numbers. They also tried to belittle what the people believed - whether it was putting gas masks on the children or being followed to their lair - by making them appear slightly crazed. Although I'd probably do the same thing if I was interviewing some of the Heaven's Gate or Koresh crowd, giving them the aspect of a fearful cult will make some folks fear or disparage "those crazy preppers" - and others watch them very, very carefully.

There are enough 'crazy lists' to go around, and I wouldn't want to be on any one of them. The problem with being a 'pink monkey' is that the other monkeys will - always, eventually - try to destroy him. That is not worth converting a few more to dive into the dye pot and become just as pink.

If hoarding food and weapons makes one a potential terrorist, and if Panetta says (like he did on 60 Minutes) that the President (not a jury of one's peers) decides one's fate as an enemy combatant in (what the government has already declared the entire country to be) a battlefield, then there is no sense in being on TV or YouTube, bringing people into your home to see the food and weapons you have gathered.

There is information enough on how to be prepared for exiegency; you can get pamphlets, advice, and lists, from the Mormons, or even from the CDC or FEMA... if you are interested. An exposure like a sensationalized TV show is not the place to learn, any more than watching "Survivor" will teach you how to survive on a desert island, or "The Kardashians" can teach you how to live a life of wealth, luxury and beauty.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:12 AM

4,731 posts, read 9,944,608 times
I'm not sure whether it would be advisable to appear on such a show, for many of the reasons Granny states. Even in forum posts and on our blog, I'm very careful never to show exactly all of everything we have or exactly where we are. If there were TV folks here we'd be at their mercies as to what gets shown to the general public. Irrespective of whether they portray me as a cuckoo, they'd be exposing me and my preps... bad news all around.

Most of the reality shows of this type are there to sow derision, not conversion IMO. Shows like "The Colony" are at least more level-headed. Sometimes the best way to convince people that some prepping is advisable, is to show them what the possibilities could be if they didn't.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:24 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
I'm not sure whether it would be advisable to appear on such a show, for many of the reasons Granny states. Even in forum posts and on our blog, I'm very careful never to show exactly all of everything we have or exactly where we are. If there were TV folks here we'd be at their mercies as to what gets shown to the general public. Irrespective of whether they portray me as a cuckoo, they'd be exposing me and my preps... bad news all around.

Most of the reality shows of this type are there to sow derision, not conversion IMO. Shows like "The Colony" are at least more level-headed. Sometimes the best way to convince people that some prepping is advisable, is to show them what the possibilities could be if they didn't.
I agree with you and SCGranny as far as the Nat Geo series painting preppers as another flavor of crazy. GBTV has yet another reality "prepper" show called Independence USA. Personally I think both series do a great disservice to those who prepare. It is all about "shock value" to keep viewers tuning in.

I'll admit I've been able to glean much useful info. off of Youtube. There are a few LDS channels which address long term food storage, cooking with preps, canning/dehydrating, etc... . Permies dot com channel addresses permaculture, hugelkulture, sustainable building, etc..., several very good channels on learning practical bushcraft skills (Dave Canterbury, bushcraft barons, bushcraftmyway)

Old 02-07-2012, 08:07 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,683,376 times
Not advisable to be "spotlighted" in any show at all... ITA with MissingAll4Seasons.
In fact, it is best not to be spotlighted in any means, way, shape or form IMO...

when the very means to survive is to be in "camo" = laying low.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:23 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,944,608 times
I think the bloggers and YouTubers who highlight one bit of information at a time are a great learning and thought invoking resource for the rest of us; but you can tell the serious ones are serious because their posts and videos are very narrowly focused. They might show you their food storage set-up and some of the things they're storing... but they don't show their entire house or even their entire storeroom. Or they'll show you how to care for some weapon or tool; but not anything else. Or share their preserving tips and cooking recipes without showing you anything but the ingredients and one vanilla-bland corner of their kitchen. And even if you string all their posts and videos together, you'd still be hard pressed to pinpoint their location and their exact inventory. Those folks are a godsend at times!

With a TV show, you'd lose control of all of that unless they took a group of preppers, put them in an artificial environment and had them prep the space from start to finish on the show's budget. More of a televised "how-to" and "why store this" sort of education/demonstration rather than simple entertainment for the morbidly curious. Of course they could stage various "emergencies" or "disasters" to test the preps and the preppers for dramatic purposes; but that information would still be useful from an educational standpoint. More PBS/Discovery Channel format than snide deprecating Reality TV. (And might I say that I'm disappointed in National Geographic for leaning that way lately in it's documentaries )

Old 02-07-2012, 01:45 PM

25,713 posts, read 18,788,778 times
Cofucius say, showcasing one's doomstead to the world is not wise.

I wonder if these good folk also have a neon sign out front reading, "Come an' Get 'er!," or if they parade around in tee-shirts with big read targets screened on front and back?

Old 02-07-2012, 03:21 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Cofucius say, showcasing one's doomstead to the world is not wise.

I wonder if these good folk also have a neon sign out front reading, "Come an' Get 'er!," or if they parade around in tee-shirts with big read targets screened on front and back?
No, but some involved in the first season are having an "Suburban Prepper's Conference" in Columbia, SC next month.

Solarchef1

One of those featured last season comments:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8R68Wb_Jiw
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness