Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 07:44 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
I agree with your brother in part. A drum of 10W30 would be good, but a drum of 5W30 would be better. you know this how?

Why? Less detergent. What a load of crap!

Having said that, 10W30 might actually better due to the fact that you don't know what you will have for solvents. Huh?
The difference between 5W30 and 10W30 is the viscosity of the oil at different temperatures at the high and low end. Reducing the viscosity is achieved through the use of additives, namely petroleum solvents (detergents).

Quote:
Being the Chemistry_Guy you should know that petroleum solvents dissolve petroleum. Mixing something with the 10W30 will thin it out for other uses. My first inclination would be naphtha due to the higher boiling point. BAD advice!
Why is it bad advice? Surely you aren't suggesting naphtha doesn't have a higher boiling point, because that would be silly. Perhaps I was talking over your head since you don't have any knowledge about organic chemistry or petro-chemistry.

After all, you're one of the ones who thought the Keystone pipeline would save America.

Quote:
Other possibilities that may be available would be any white spirits. I'm talking about mineral solvent, turpentine, paraffin and iso-paraffin. Even gasoline would work. Kerosene, any jet fuel, well, the lower grades, probably anything lower than JP-3. Holy cow! Directions on how to ruin your engine?
Um, it's not for the engine. If you had read and understood the OP's question, then you'd know the purpose is to seek lighter solvents for other uses.

No doubt you have no background in law enforcement (like I do) and you don't hang out at target ranges, otherwise you would know what "Bug Juice" is (-- for those who are wondering it's oil or hydraulic fluid cut with petroleum solvents to use as either a lubricant for fire arms or as a cleaning fluid for weapons, depending on what you use to cut the base with).

Quote:
I'm thinking maybe a 4-1 ratio (oil to solvent). Start with that and work around it. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!
Based on what? Your keen scientific insights or your extensive knowledge of oils? You are incredibly one dimensional and a man of no talents. I paint. Usually water colors, but sometimes oil and when I use oil, I usually paint on different surfaces like metal or china/glazed-ceramics.

Quote:
Motor Oil Medium

• 8 parts 30 weight (non-detergent) motor oil
  • 2 parts Signa-Turp (synthetic, odorless thinner)
  • 1/2 part Balsam of Copaiba
Now, I don't use "Balsam of Copaiba" (or Signa-Turp whatever the hell those things are), but I'm guessing the balsam functions as a resin (you have to have something to stabilize the oil). I use mineral spirits to cut mine when I paint.

8 parts to 2 parts is a ratio of a 8:2 or 4:1 reduced. I don't exactly have my mobile laboratory with me, but basic common sense dictates that if you have a drum of 10W30, then you pump out a quart, and add maybe 1/2 cup of gasoline, kerosene, turpentine or whatever petroleum solvent you have on hand; mix it; then keep adding until you get it to where you want it.

Refuting...

Mircea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 10:44 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,487,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
If i were planning for a post collapse civilization scenario,i dont think i'd be relying on gasoline powered machines or items that need to be constantly re newed or refilled with modern product. SlingShots, bows and arrows,horses would probably be a more longterm reliable resource.
Agreed.

But the worst of the collapse (if there is one), would be over in about 6-8 months. These things don't last forever. (History tells us that). And the likelihood of OPEC going down at the same time as western countries is rather low. So "product" could still be produced and refined, though perhaps not affordable for most until things settle down.

Meanwhile, vehicles are even more expensive than guns, and I won't be pouring in anything creative during the crisis. I'd rather skip an oil change than put in something not recommended. When we come out of this, it'll be the people who followed manufacturer's recommendations who have the vehicles that still run well.

Old 02-22-2012, 01:36 PM

212 posts, read 320,459 times
a very little Lockease graphite or molybdinum disulphide goes a LONG ways in simple mechanisms, like guns. car wax protects exposed surfaces, and in a lot of cases, rust on exterior surfaces is not really a problem.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:42 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,405,190 times
No mentions of lubricants/protectors such as Break-Free CLP or Fluid Film?

I wouldn't stick them in my engines but they're great for 1000 other uses.

Break-Free® Gun Cleaners, Solvents, Lubes, & Bluing, Gun Maintenance, Shooting : Cabela's

http://www.fluid-film.com/

Old 02-27-2012, 03:45 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times
I am not touching this with much..... Mechanic most of my life ....... so far, and each oil or grease has it's uses. I also shoot flintlock guns and can make oils from animal fats which will keep these lubed fine.

That "W" in say 10w-30 means Winter.

Any larger containers stored where temps flux will create water and dirt in the container, and so will common roofing cement. So store these in places where temps tend to stay about the same for longer term.

Barns are about the worst places to store this sort of thing, but please don't ask how I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness