Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 09:13 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,020,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyeats View Post
going back to the olden days of doing things...
A quick shop at the local antique malls will get you all the old build awesome tools that not only can still work, they are great for decorations as well!
Eg. A hand crank egg beater, that old axe, old saw, old tiller, old jethro tull, old grinder etc...

lol! :d
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 02:30 PM

3,952 posts, read 5,146,405 times
How about a Kelly Kettle? They work great for boiling water for cooking or drinking. They use any fuel you can fit in the middle and will have water boiling hot in a couple of minutes. I've bought a couple over the years (due to loss, not being broken) and they have never failed me.

Old 02-25-2012, 07:44 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,924,682 times
I'm becoming more and more disillusioned with swing-away can openers. They break, get misaligned, can't handle warbly cans. I can get a whole bag of P-38 or P-51s for the same price, they last forever (and if they don't, whatever, you have dozens stashed everywhere!!) and can open just about everything no matter how mangled. But topping my wish list is a heavy duty bench mount like the Edlund... I've yet to meet a can that sucker couldn't defeat

I also love my Eton FR160 Microlink AM/FM/NOAA radio-flashlight-strobe. Powered by solar or hand crank, and can charge small electronics (probably larger ones, too, if you had the adapter, enough time and/or were tireless LOL). I've dropped it several times from height and onto hard surfaces, froze in my pack a few times, even dumped it in the river once or twice... reception is still clear as a bell and the flashlight bright and shiny.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:19 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,269,567 times
I want a Kelly Kettle, they are great. Can't justify the price tag, though :-( Instead I have made several hobo stoves over the years and boil water in another can over them.

Old 03-06-2012, 02:57 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,674,022 times
Tons & tons of boiled water set aside...
Learnt the hard way from Irene when we do not have water for 1 week plus.

Now I have 3X 1.75 liters of ice in my freezer part to be rotated down should we have a black out... to extend the fridge life longer (eat the food there first), then we tackle the food from the freezer.

I also have 2X 1.75 L & 1 gallon of boiled water in the refridgerator section for daily drinking... refilled daily or as needed.

I have 2 designated sink area with 5 gallons of tapwater set aside on each = 10 gallons.

I can also fill the bathtubs till the tank gets emptied....

Then we have to bike manual pump the water out from our deep well.... should be pretty good I think... still never enough.

Old 03-06-2012, 03:00 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,674,022 times
I want a Kelly Kettle too... next on my splurge list.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:29 AM

7,487 posts, read 10,460,988 times
I mentioned the Kelly Kettle to DW and she looked into it. Is very impressed! Neither of us had ever heard of it before. We'd both like to add one to our gear. So here is a very hearty "Thank you!" to those who mentioned it and brought it to our attention!

Just goes to show: if you take the time to inform the rest of us about even ONE item that you have, would like to have, used to have, etc that you liked a lot or found very useful, it can help many people. Perhaps more of them than you think, as not all of them will take the time to respond here at CD Forum!

Old 03-16-2012, 12:36 PM

7,487 posts, read 10,460,988 times
Review of Our Kelly Kettle

Our brand-new Kelly Kettle kit (we bought the base-camp size, with the cooking pan attachment) arrived 2 days ago, from Amazon. I thought I'd share a review of my first experience with it. It's awesome! First try, I just boiled water, using pine cones and some newspaper for tinder. It took about 7-8 minutes, and the water was steaming hot. I made some hot chocolate with it, for one of my grandsons and I. The kid seemed to take to the new gizmo more quickly than I did!

Next day, I cooked some instant oatmeal in the pan, also while boiling water. It worked like a charm. No grandson to share it with, but it made a nice snack for DW and I. My impressions are, it's very light-weight for it's size, and very well-built (in Ireland), and the engineering concepts behind it are superb. No one that we know around here has ever heard of this thing. But it did elicit some curious interest from neighbors.

I expect to purchase a second one, this time the Scout model (medium-size) which also takes the same cook pan, of about 1 quart size. That one will go in my truck, and stay there in case I ever need it far from home.

Oh dear...looks like I may have to buy a third one. For my grandson...poor little guy (he's 9), loves this thing, and he DID help me figure out how to use it, so....

Old 03-17-2012, 12:27 AM

25,483 posts, read 18,618,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Review of Our Kelly Kettle

Our brand-new Kelly Kettle kit (we bought the base-camp size, with the cooking pan attachment) arrived 2 days ago, from Amazon. I thought I'd share a review of my first experience with it. It's awesome! First try, I just boiled water, using pine cones and some newspaper for tinder. It took about 7-8 minutes, and the water was steaming hot. I made some hot chocolate with it, for one of my grandsons and I. The kid seemed to take to the new gizmo more quickly than I did!

Next day, I cooked some instant oatmeal in the pan, also while boiling water. It worked like a charm. No grandson to share it with, but it made a nice snack for DW and I. My impressions are, it's very light-weight for it's size, and very well-built (in Ireland), and the engineering concepts behind it are superb. No one that we know around here has ever heard of this thing. But it did elicit some curious interest from neighbors.

I expect to purchase a second one, this time the Scout model (medium-size) which also takes the same cook pan, of about 1 quart size. That one will go in my truck, and stay there in case I ever need it far from home.

Oh dear...looks like I may have to buy a third one. For my grandson...poor little guy (he's 9), loves this thing, and he DID help me figure out how to use it, so....
All right, fine. Now you've convinced me that I need one.

Old 03-19-2012, 02:10 PM

1,066 posts, read 1,264,873 times
Default My favorite non-electric machine

I have an old treadle sewing machine (Singer - yes Singer). It just won't die!

Fortunately, I can still get supplies for it from Lehmann's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness