Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 02:38 AM

1,615 posts, read 2,574,906 times

Advertisements

I got a roku wireless box to get tv streamed to my fifty inch plasma from my computer wirelessly.

I pay only 8 dollars a month for this for the netflix service. I cancelled my cable a bought an outdoor antenna, to pickup local channels for free but i live in a basement apartment, so it doesn't work very well plus it's too big to have inside. i decided to keep it for the future to when i move to an aparment with a balcony.

in the meantime i got LIMITED cable for 15 bucks a month that has just the local channels plus 3 others. it's the cheapest package you can get, i just wanted to get the local networks so that i can watch local news etc.

so i pay a total of 23 dollars a month for cable, instead of the 120.00 a month i WAS paying when i had the FULL CABLE package.

when i move this will go down to 8 dollars a month because the antenna i bought will pick up basically the same channels that limited cable offers for free.

what do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 08:09 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,501,664 times
Great job! For folks who don't feel they have to keep up on all the latest network shows, and just simply want to see some video entertainment, cutting the cord to cable TV will save a lot of money! Having the internet allows this change to a lot of households. Additionally, you can look into Hulu Plus, which has many recent network TV series and movies, which I believe runs about $10/mo.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:32 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,629,876 times
Wrong forum but I did similar and saved a lot using Internet phone and tv via roku. I had the older one so could watch YouTube and Netflix on the big screen and had a special so only paid 30 a month plus the Netflix amount.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:35 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,487,112 times
We are no longer TV junkies.

About the time that TV went digital, we refused to buy a flat-screen, canceled our cable, and no longer watch it. What about the news, you ask? We realized that the so-called "news" on TV was heavily biased and/or lacking good coverage of items of interest for us. So now we get our news online, where we can choose the source and search for corroborating coverage, when in doubt. I do admit that I miss baseball and football, but DW and I agree that sitting in front of a screen (even a computer screen...) was just taking up too much of our time. We don't have a lot of time to waste. I have found radio to be a good substitute, as I can listen to the games while I work on something else. Until they find a way to charge you to listen to AM/FM radio (possible, maybe even likely), I will be happy with my radios. I find TV boring now when I see it at a neighbor's house in passing. It's full of advertising (so is radio, but nothing to see).

Glad we're not throwing away money on that stuff any more!

Old 02-24-2012, 12:43 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,629,876 times
Yea I rather read a farmers almanac or experience with all this off-grid stuff I bough than watch tv. Even as tempting as is it to watch that Courtney on the Bachelor or the Apprentice. I'm even ashamed for watching the last republican debate, what a crock of huey and waste of time. 3 dingdongs agreeing with eachother while acting enemies and pretending not to love obama.

Old 02-24-2012, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
I'm even ashamed for watching the last republican debate, what a crock of huey and waste of time. 3 dingdongs agreeing with eachother while acting enemies and pretending not to love obama.
I hear ya on those GOP "dingdongs"! I haven't watched any of the debates, but from what I read of them, they are making laughing stocks of themselves! If they don't get it in gear, the O-man will have it sewed up for 4 more years!

Old 02-24-2012, 05:19 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Sounds like this is a post for frugel living really. As long as you are satisfied its good really.I actually get cable HDw/DVR ;nationwide telephone and internet for about the same price as you were paying for just full cable.I also stream Netflix for 7.99

Old 02-25-2012, 09:16 AM

37,462 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Our township has no cable, and no broadcast TV signal.

I watch a few things online for free.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Our township has no cable, and no broadcast TV signal.

I watch a few things online for free.
Yep, and when we're up there near you forest, we'll be in the same position!

So we figure we might as well get used to it now!

Old 02-25-2012, 10:56 AM

25,723 posts, read 18,797,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
I hear ya on those GOP "dingdongs"! I haven't watched any of the debates, but from what I read of them, they are making laughing stocks of themselves! If they don't get it in gear, the O-man will have it sewed up for 4 more years!
Yup. As much as I think King O is killing our nation and trampling the Constitution, I have concluded that none of the front runners for the opposition are going to change the deadly course of this nation. All but one (who is in last place) is simply King O Light. This nation is hell bent on ending personal liberty and destroying the individual. I don't understand it. But that's the way it is. However, I figure that if I can insulate myself from it as much as possible (coupled with the fact that I have no more than 20 or 30 years of life remaining) I can hopefully milk the soon-to-be-extinct rights granted me by soon-to-be-extinct Constitution and spend my remaining years living my own (and the last remaining years of our nation's) life... unless the hardcore tyranny or civil unrest starts before then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness