Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 06:29 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,967,545 times

Advertisements

Not only for those who live rural or semi-rural, but for those who need a vehicle to get to work, how is this gas thing going to play our when the SHTF?

Where is the safest type of place to live, if gas is unaffordable or cannot for any reason be delivered? Also, gas pumps require electricity...and in power outages there is none....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 06:35 PM

504 posts, read 1,270,465 times
If you are thinking about a 'SHTF' scenario, why are you worried about how people will get to work?

A good mountain bike will serve you well.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:21 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,967,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock_chalk View Post
If you are thinking about a 'SHTF' scenario, why are you worried about how people will get to work?

A good mountain bike will serve you well.
S can hit the F and some will still have work...perhaps.

The bigger question is, will people who live rural or suburban be stranded it there is no gas or it's unaffordable for them? A bike may not get them all the way to town and may be rather dangerous if marauders are roaming.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:29 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,159,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
The bigger question is, will people who live rural or suburban be stranded it there is no gas or it's unaffordable for them?
It will always be affordable for them. They can cancel their cell-phones or cable to pay for gasoline. They can stop eating 337x per week at fast food restaurants.

There are many things than can do, and they will do them if they have no choice. I means seriously, work or cable TV? That's like a no-brainer. If you have to cancel cable in order to pay for gasoline to get to work and keep your job, then that is what they will do.

Not an issue...

Mircea

Old 03-01-2012, 07:46 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,131,933 times
That's only 95 cents a gallon more than it costs today. My commute to the park & ride to catch the bus is 5 miles round trip, and I get 30mpg, so that's an extra $10 or less every 2-1/2 months. I can afford that. If the bus service stops and I drive in it's 46 miles a day, that would cost me an additional $136/month. I can afford that too, but if it were a struggle I could give up the coffee shop and drink the free stuff at work.

People who live far from work make that choice for the quality of life outside of work and usually find a way to deal with the commute cost because it's worth it.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:50 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,847,541 times
Quote:

The bigger question is, will people who live rural or suburban be stranded it there is no gas or it's unaffordable for them? A bike may not get them all the way to town and may be rather dangerous if marauders are roaming.
Most of the Northeastern towns can fall back on bus lines or rail lines , and most towns in New England are walkable....you see more people walking....i doubt it will hurt the economy of this region by much.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:00 AM

253 posts, read 557,917 times
You mean $5 a gallon? It's already more than that where I live in Canada and in England it's $9-$10 a gallon, the S has not hit the F here and it hasn't in England either. Lots of people take public transit, bike to work or car pool. If you are truly worries about this then get a diesel car and fill it with vegetable grease, I hear the exhaust smells like french fries

Old 03-02-2012, 12:36 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,597,926 times
Quote:

Most little old ladies could take out a manly man on a bike. Just wait between two parked vehicles, then kick the center or rear of the bike with the flat of your foot as it goes by. It will go down. This became very popular in Denver as a night time activity some years back in a fashionably walkable and liberal neighborhood, Capitol Hill. Several of the victims sustained serious injuries.

Currently regular is a bit over three dollars where I live.

Old 03-02-2012, 02:49 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,724,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janacanada View Post
You mean $5 a gallon? It's already more than that where I live in Canada and in England it's $9-$10 a gallon, the S has not hit the F here and it hasn't in England either. Lots of people take public transit, bike to work or car pool. If you are truly worries about this then get a diesel car and fill it with vegetable grease, I hear the exhaust smells like french fries
Nobody lives in canada and friggin england is rats nest of 500 yr old cities with the only wealthy elite liveing in any country side thats left....You inner city types will figure out your public transit isn''t worth sheit when diesel goes to 6 bucks and you can't get any food delivered there.......

Old 03-02-2012, 04:12 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,485,774 times
In our lifetimes, there will always be gas available, even if the grid goes down (it's called a generator, and many stations are now getting them). There will always be people who can afford to buy gas. In Germany it's a good $8 a gallon, and while they don't waste it as much as Americans do, they still buy it. If no one could afford it, supply would outstrip demand to the point where the price would seriously come down. OPEC needs income, and petroleum products will be for sale as long as there is any use for them (hint: for a very long time to come).

Right now the price of gas is STABLE. Yes, stable. The only thing changing is the value of our dollar. It's so weak, OPEC needs more of them, or they'd be losing money. If you were really worried about gas and transportation, you'd be after the politicians and central bankers to change monetary policy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness