Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 07:10 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,490,762 times

Advertisements

From the article posted recently:

For the Survivalist: Cannibalize a Car for Shelter

Dr. Bradley notes that those who are most likely to survive are the ones who scavenge materials into something useful. If you're a survivalist this is your primary skill. In the case of shelter, a car provides everything you need. Dr. Bradley elaborates:
Those who treat a vehicle as a resource that can be cannibalized (such as burning fuel, oil, and tires, using carpet/upholstery as makeshift blankets or clothing, using headlamp reflectors to start a fire or signal for help, sticking floor mats under the wheels of a stuck vehicle) tend to live much longer than those who only see it as a shelter.
A car can provide you with shelter, warmth, and supplies. They're also easier to get into than buildings if you're looking for quick and safe shelter in an emergency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 04:20 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,494,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
A car can provide you with shelter, warmth, and supplies. They're also easier to get into than buildings if you're looking for quick and safe shelter in an emergency.
This is true. When it's raining hard out, I jump into my pickup pretty fast.

If a car is good, a truck is better, and a camper is king of the hill! Why limit yourself to a stuffy car when you can lounge (and scrounge) with plenty of room to spare?

Old 03-02-2012, 05:01 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,692,650 times
One of the coolest things I ever saw was an old school bus that was buried and turned into a cellar/shelter. I've known a few people who converted vehicles into stationary homes; they were cheap and stable. Don't think I'd go with a car, van, or even a truck with a camper shell, for long time permanent shelter, though. (Been there, did that for 6 weeks with the latter.) Not enough room and too much dependence on outside resources.

Old 03-02-2012, 07:35 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,684,789 times
What about metal storage containers that they use to ship cargo on boats. I have heard of people using these to make shelters.

Old 03-02-2012, 07:52 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,587,748 times
Cars, trucks etc. are good shelter from wind and rain, and provide protection from animals, however....

In very hot places, the sun through the windows can turn a vehicle into a sauna. Get out and find shade!

In very cold places, unless there is a source of heat, you have a large space with lots of glass so you have radiant heat loss. In very cold weather, if you are away from a highway or place you can be discovered and get help, and if you don't have gas to run the heater, you may be better off stripping what you can use from the vehicle and making a shelter.

A debris shelter is much warmer than a car with no heat, and you can have a fire. A snow cave with a candle is also much nicer than a car as long as you have tree branches to keep you from contacting the snow directly and getting wet. A car seat would serve the same purpose.

I always carry wool blankets, space blankets and a tin coffee can with candles in my vehicle so I can shelter in my truck, (I have done this during blizzards when the roads became impassible), but it isn't comfortable. Once ice is built up on the windows to about an inch thick it was a lot warmer.
Always crack a window a little for ventilation especially if running the engine or burning a candle to prevent Carbon Monoxide and CO2 buildup. If you have fuel and can run the engine and heater, make sure the exhaust pipe is clear of obstructions like drifting snow, and only run the engine about 15 minutes per hour.

I know most folks don't encounter arctic conditions like we do in my state, but it is just something to keep in mind when thinking ahead. Neither vehicles or metal storage containers have much insulation, you are sitting in a big tin can, so you have to have a way to make heat or you will freeze.
Even big walk in freezers or coolers can be good shelters, or refrigerated trucks, as long as they aren't running anyway, because they do have good insulation, and a small heat source like a candle or alcohol stove will make them a lot warmer.

Old 03-02-2012, 07:53 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,611,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
What about metal storage containers that they use to ship cargo on boats. I have heard of people using these to make shelters.
Yes, if done properly. They are designed to be stacked so the frame is very strong but the top itself is not. Therefore, it's not possible to bury one with several tons of earth resting on it. There are some ways to get around this; however, it's not a task for the uninformed individual who needs an expedient shelter.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:02 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,490,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Yes, if done properly. They are designed to be stacked so the frame is very strong but the top itself is not. Therefore, it's not possible to bury one with several tons of earth resting on it. There are some ways to get around this; however, it's not a task for the uninformed individual who needs an expedient shelter.
I think that a standard high cube 40' shipping container could be dug in to a hillside up to the roof on the two ends and the back side without much force applied from the earth. This is all that would really be needed for geothermal heat. Insulate the front and the roof and possibly even cut through the back of the container and into the hillside for a little more geo thermal transfer or even a fire pit (of course a chimney up the back would be needed).

The roof of a 40' container will easily support solar panels, temporary service generator, and a limited amount of water storage. A buddy of mine who makes these into construction job site offices says he thinks a couple of thousand pounds total is all that is safe on the top. So that might limit water to a 300 gallon plastic tank. Pretty easy way to get a 300 square foot shack.

Old 03-04-2012, 04:45 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,686,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
This is true. When it's raining hard out, I jump into my pickup pretty fast.

If a car is good, a truck is better, and a camper is king of the hill! Why limit yourself to a stuffy car when you can lounge (and scrounge) with plenty of room to spare?
If that is the route... I'd vote for RV too!

Old 03-05-2012, 07:36 AM

Here is a link to car-living paradise! Actually, some pretty good ideas, if that's how you end up:

How to Live in Your Car: 12 steps - wikiHow

I expect we'll be seeing a lot of articles of this type, for the foreseeable future.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:24 AM

And for those of you who've lost your houses, but were a little better provisioned in the "glory days" of recent past...we have this:

On the ropes and off the grid | Living Off the Grid: Free Yourself

Some neat-o ideas here, too, for those with an RV and some old vacation land they bought to build on, later...which never comes, and never gets built...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness