Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 12:16 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,457,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet_ohara View Post
Blueberry bushes are rather hardy in the South, not so easily killed. You are right to wait and see, IMO. We haven't killed one yet.

Peaches - if I didn't like them so much I wouldn't bother. There are a number of reasons for small fruit. Depending on the variety, you may have a smaller one. Or you may have too many fruit which would require thinning. If they are crowded they can't grow very large. The trees may not be mature, among other things.

I assume you know of borers and other tree killing pests. You will have to follow a strict regimen for treating your trees. One missed treatment can spell disaster.

^Same goes for Plum trees.

We have had good luck with the Hale Haven and Elberta peach varieties. We harvest them in May/early June.

Pears - Kieffer pears grow extremely well in the South. This is the only variety we have and wouldn't consider any other. Some people don't like to bother with them because they can't be eaten right off the tree, they are very hard. They are harvested in Sept/Oct and either have to be kept cool for 2-3 weeks to soften; or you can speed that up by baking them. I can't tell any difference in the flavor of these versus other varieties.

Your fruit bushes and trees need to have well-drained soil. If you have them in permaculture, it may be retaining too much moisture.
I don't know what kind of pear tree it is or what kind of peach tree for that matter. Sounds like you are an expert! Speaking of which, I recently got to talk to a master gardener and she told me she'd had a rough time with blueberries in a garden where she worked which was a little consolation. She said I still might be able to save them. She suggested digging them up if they hadn't taken root (which I think they have), soaking them and covering them with good compost and "babying" them.

I didn't get a chance to ask her about the peat and peach trees although I know they are pruned all wrong. From what I gather the center of them is supposed to be cut out, right? Looking down at the tree from above, the branches are supposed to stick out so they look like spokes of a wagon wheel with none over-lapping. Is that right? If so, the centers of both trees need to be aggressively pruned.

I just checked and the pear tree once was covered with 1/2 size rock hard pears. Some had fallen or were pulled off by animals and half eaten and left on the ground. I figured they needed more time to grow. However at the same time the tree had that black stuff on it (which I guess a lot of pear trees around here have been plagued with ...wish I could remember the name) where some of the leaves and stems had turned black. I'll try to upload a picture.

How odd! I just went out to take a pic and now I can't find anymore fruit on the pear tree.

The peach tree has baby yellow peaches on it though. I took a pic of that too and the sorry looking blueberries in my "pine tree guild". Now I just have to figure out how to upload them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 01:42 PM

Here is the pear tree as you stand facing SW. I have a few big Pine trees to the south and the neighbors have some more farther behind to the SW . I don't know if it gets enough sun with those trees shading it in the afternoon.. There used to be a big Elm tree in front and I had that cut down with all the wood chips left in front of it after the stump grinder was finished. So at least it gets morning and mid day sun. Sorry it is so blurry.

//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...-peartree.html

Here is the peach tree which amazingly has a bunch of tiny yellow peaches about 2-3 inches in diameter but it isn't pruned right either, is it?

//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...peachtree.html

Last edited by emilybh; 07-18-2012 at 01:55 PM..

Old 07-18-2012, 01:48 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,668,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
I don't know what kind of pear tree it is or what kind of peach tree for that matter. Sounds like you are an expert!
Nope, not at all! I can only tell you my experiences and I can guarantee that my conditions differ from yours.

The Kieffer tree tends to grow tall and straight up, practically no branching out. I don't know of anyone who was not successful with this variety, but anything is possible. One hundred years ago this variety was on farms all over the south because it is so hardy. That is why we chose that one.

Quote:
Speaking of which, I recently got to talk to a master gardener and she told me she'd had a rough time with blueberries in a garden where she worked which was a little consolation. She said I still might be able to save them. She suggested digging them up if they hadn't taken root (which I think they have), soaking them and covering them with good compost and "babying" them.
If she is local to you I think you should follow her advice. I haven't had to baby blueberries, only raspberries.

Quote:
I didn't get a chance to ask her about the peat and peach trees although I know they are pruned all wrong. From what I gather the center of them is supposed to be cut out, right? Looking down at the tree from above, the branches are supposed to stick out so they look like spokes of a wagon wheel with none over-lapping. Is that right?
Yes, that's right. You want them to grow out, not up. But I doubt that lack of pruning is your issue. Did you ever treat them for pests?

I think you mentioned consulting with someone at Clemson or on its website. They have good information on peach trees, including treatments, etc. I take it you don't remember the name of your variety? Well, I have forgotten names before too.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:54 PM

Not seeing pics, just a bunch of code.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Nope, not at all! I can only tell you my experiences and I can guarantee that my conditions differ from yours.

The Kieffer tree tends to grow tall and straight up, practically no branching out. I don't know of anyone who was not successful with this variety, but anything is possible. One hundred years ago this variety was on farms all over the south because it is so hardy. That is why we chose that one.

If she is local to you I think you should follow her advice. I haven't had to baby blueberries, only raspberries.

Yes, that's right. You want them to grow out, not up. But I doubt that lack of pruning is your issue. Did you ever treat them for pests?

I think you mentioned consulting with someone at Clemson or on its website. They have good information on peach trees, including treatments, etc. I take it you don't remember the name of your variety? Well, I have forgotten names before too.
No. I've done absolutely nothing to the trees. I would prune them but I think you are supposed to do that first thing in the spring before they start growing fruit. Right? I guess I should research caring for fruit trees. My original thinking was just to see how they did on their own since they are so mature. I was hoping they'd be maintenance free as per permaculture is supposed to be.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Not seeing pics, just a bunch of code.
Try clicking on the links now. They link to my City-Data Album I had to create to post pics. Evidently you can't simply cut and paste pictures which is what I tried to do before.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
Another useful way to learn is the observe the native plants in your wild(er) spaces... how they grow, where they grow, and in which combinations. I spend hours identifying our local plants and take tons of photos for later identification and to illustrate the patterns, tiers and spreads I find most commonly. Once I figured out the features and growing conditions that were required for those native plants, I could experiment with non-native edible substitutes... although I did find out in my research that many natives already growing had food, medicinal and utility uses I wasn't aware of so subs weren't always necessary to get the same benefits.

And if your yard is fairly shady, you might have problems getting dandelions to grow even if you seeded them (you can actually buy French & Italian "salad" variety dandelion seeds). If you're specifically looking for a similar spicy salad green you can try arugula, chicory/endive, or mustard greens since these tend to tolerate shade better. There are other taproot plants to improve soil condition/nutrients and flowering plants to attract pollinators/beneficials that tolerate shade much better than dandelions. I'd hesitate to harvest dandelions (or anything else) to eat from a neighbor's yard or property unless you are positive that they haven't sprayed.

Be warned... check to make sure that you don't have an HOA in your neighborhood, or that the HOA will allow anything other than lawn and approved plantings before you start permaculturing or allowing your lawn to revert to meadow!! Believe me, even without any HOA restrictions, your neighbors will likely have plenty to grumble about if you start letting "weeds" and "unslightly natives" grow in your lawn. Been there, done that.
There is an HOA here but it isn't too strict. They don't care what you do with your backyard. They do like the front yard looking presentable. I have a couple of VERY big and broad shady trees in front but unfortunately they aren't shady enough to keep the grass from growing. I am letting the Magnolia cones and leaves fall and just raking them around the tree to hopefully kill the grass underneath. As more fall I plan to expand the diameter. Unfortunately my neighbor has grass like a golf course which he cuts with a riding mower. Mine looks shabby in comparison AND the prior owner but a bunch of boxwood bushes and other bushes lining the entire front of the house about 2 bushes deep and there are 35 of them! (Anyone want some FREE bushes so I won't have to get out with hedge clippers and groom them? All you have to do is come dig them up.)What a pain in the butt they are going to be if I keep them. I should be out there now cutting them back.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:44 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,946,745 times
You could always call Habitat for Humanity and see if they would like to come pick up your shrubs and hedges, free for the digging!!

Old 07-18-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
No. I've done absolutely nothing to the trees. I would prune them but I think you are supposed to do that first thing in the spring before they start growing fruit. Right? I guess I should research caring for fruit trees. My original thinking was just to see how they did on their own since they are so mature. I was hoping they'd be maintenance free as per permaculture is supposed to be.
Oh, you want maintenance free. If you figure that out, you will become very wealthy.

Fruit trees require a lot of care and maintenance. Setting them in permaculture does not eliminate pests, and plants in permaculture are not maintenance free. I don't know of anything that is maintenance-free but if you want low maintenance, forget about fruit trees.

As I stated before peach trees require a strict, regular treatment schedule - just one missed treatment is enough to screw it all up. You have a snowball's chance of successfully growing peaches without treatment.

The pear tree in your pic doesn't look anything like Kieffer so I don't know what it is.

Your peach tree looks like it could be just about any variety of peach.

You will find varying opinions about when to prune them. We do it in early Fall.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
You could always call Habitat for Humanity and see if they would like to come pick up your shrubs and hedges, free for the digging!!
I decided to not be so lazy and go out there and start pruning and it wasn't as big a job as I thought. After I started it went pretty quickly. I guess I'll keep them through the fall anyway. They do create a bunch of curb appeal.

Although I'd gladly trade them for bunches of healthy berry bushes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness