Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 07:41 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,446,656 times

Advertisements

Maybe I am just clueless, or am ignorant; I saw my first episode of 'Doomsday Bunkers' on TV last night...

A guy spends about $400K on an underground bunker, yet I fail to see how effective it would be. (and everyone outside knows there is a cache there when they find it).

Enlighten me.

Assuming someone could find the bunker, it must have an external air feed. (of course they could have it booby-trapped).

Grab a bucket of ice from your kitchen, a bottle of sodium hypochlorite (bleach), go to the garage and grab the bottle of acetone, and voila, in 20 mins there is a nice mixture of chloroform/phosgene for the air intake. Even less involved is a mixture of bleach/ammonia, which makes a nice hydrazine derivative.

The front door had the hinges on the outside... so unless it had a bolt system on all 4 sides, again, it is off to the garage to get a bag of iron oxide and powdered aluminum.

None of this is rocket science.

Finally, the .50BMG with AP will open that place like a can opener.

Maybe I am too pessimistic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 07:59 AM

1,664 posts, read 4,364,364 times
My thoughts exactly...watching the show last night, I was wondering how 'secure' that bunker is once the fresh air intake is compromised. Granted, killing everybody inside with gas means you likely won't get the door opened easily if it truly is that resilient. I suppose determined raiders could commandeer demolition gear & heavy equipment and start digging around the perimeter to gain access, but this assumes availability of working equipment/men/fuel...

Still, those bunkers are pretty neat! How long could one stay underground before losing their mind & compromising security, I wonder.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:15 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,723,822 times
Another program designed to show the Bad, ingnorant, red neck wack job side of prepping.......I didn't even wast my time........................

Old 03-08-2012, 10:00 AM

What's amusing to me is everybody has a plan, lots of people have the same plan, and when they go to execute their plan, they'll have plenty of company.

"I'll run to the hills"

"I'll hunker in my bunker"

"I'll head to Mexico"

"I have guns"

Etc. etc.

I reckon 99% will fail miserably...

Old 03-08-2012, 10:06 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,723,822 times
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I been a 1% for a number of years

Old 03-08-2012, 10:32 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,158,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffler View Post
Still, those bunkers are pretty neat! How long could one stay underground before losing their mind & compromising security, I wonder.
Not very long. If trained professionals who were screened for such a task failed miserably, then so will the vast over-whelming majority of others.

I fail to understand why it is called a "Doomsday Bunker" since it wouldn't survive certain doomsday scenarios, especially asteroid strikes. You'll have to be underground for certain sized asteroids because the surface temperatures will drop dramatically, and that also results in the ground freezing, which defeats the whole purpose of having a bunker, unless you place the bunker at least 250 feet underground, or unless you drill into bedrock and place the bunker there.

As far as raiders, that would depend in part on how long it took temperatures to max out. It would take weeks or months for the temperature to drop to a point low enough to bar humans from moving around.

Not impressed...

Mircea

Old 03-08-2012, 10:48 AM

Yeah, even if fully self-contained, it's not enough. Even submariners have to come up for fresh air & natural daylight...

I think some of these 'preppers' get lost in the fantasy of showing off their awesome-ness when the world goes to pot.

This super bunker is pretty hilarious:

Vivos Underground Survival Shelter Network for 2012 and Beyond

Old 03-08-2012, 10:51 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,960,110 times
IMO the bunker needs more work. Yeah SS928 I noticed the same flaws you did, and bet there are more.

I don't command that kind of jingle anyway, so for me it's not any problem.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:12 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,446,656 times
Living quarters like this are all over the place:

Missile Base Properties for Sale

A retired communication bunker is hardened, and fairly deep. They tend to be big. The only downside I have seen is that they tend to have been flooded with water (as they are essentially abandoned), and the EPA will have a field day (if they aren't a superfund site already). Not exactly sure what you would do with the 3 Titan silos in the Denver site Though you can tell your friends you have a 700 ton front door

Old 03-08-2012, 11:32 AM

having the bunker is one thing; being able to get to it is quite another

suppose you live in a populated area, but have been secretly and carefully prepping your bunker some distance away...

*boom* ... the event happens, or it's projected to happen in a certain amount of time ... you gotta grab your stuff and GO ... only to find all roads and highways clogged with everybody else thinking the same thing ... then what?

go off the beaten path? doubtful it'd be any different ... lots of folks with the same idea, getting in each others way ...

and of course, a la Katrina, thugs running around robbing and stealing while other people lose their minds and are freaking out ... how do you deal with all that and get away?

I don't think our society is equipped to deal...those who are will simply be encumbered by those who aren't

I bet rural folks stand the best chance of working together, hunkering down and getting to the point of things...while the city & suburban dwellers will not fare well, even with the best laid plans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness