Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 05:47 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times

Advertisements

All across the country, the theft of Tide brand detergent has puzzled retailers and law enforcement alike. It's being used as "a form of currency on the streets" and there's a "black market" for the stuff, according to news articles:

Police Take On Rising Wave Of Tide Detergent Theft | Fox News

It looks like few of us here were aware that Tide, of all things, would have such a barter appeal! We think along lines of food, toilet paper, alcohol, smokes, matches, and other "prep" stuff...but Tide???

Just goes to show you -- alternate currencies are already springing up and are alive on the streets, whether the authorities like it or not!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 06:37 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,688,423 times
LOL weird.

I don't get the whole "Tide" dilemma - soap is soap and can be made if necessary. And I don't even use Tide - too many additives, higher priced, and not as efficient as some others.

It does make lots of bubbles, though, so it is pretty good for making fountains, etc become bubbling masses of street-blocking foam - or so I've heard. Of course, a little fabric softener will deplete that very quickly - again, so I've heard.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:56 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
It is not currency. It is an item that is easy to steal, can't be traced and is easy to sell on the second hand market, just as DVDs, cosmetics, razors, and other items are. People are selling a stolen product for cash--they are not using it as a substitute for money.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
It is not currency.
This is true. However, there are alternative currencies in use today, here in the US. As of Feb. 2012, twelve different states are considering the use of gold and silver in their respective states. Merchants in localized markets accept gold, silver, copper, and many other commodities, as they see fit. They make the decisions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
It is an item that is easy to steal, can't be traced and is easy to sell on the second hand market, just as DVDs, cosmetics, razors, and other items are. People are selling a stolen product for cash--they are not using it as a substitute for money.
Also true, to an extent. This Tide detergent is not being sold as second-hand. DVDs, cosmetics, etc may or may not be second-hand, and are almost always stolen. They have been traded for cash for a very long time now. The Tide phenomenon is new, nationwide, and no other brand will do. I also have little doubt that it passes hands at a certain value ($5-6) only to pass hands again by the first recipient, before the product is ever used. In that sense, it would be acting as a currency.

Old 03-13-2012, 02:23 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,946,745 times
Hmmm... I suspect that there is an ingredient in Tide that some street chemist has figured out is necessary in the manufacture of an illicit substance. That would explain why it's the only brand that's getting stolen, and why it's getting stolen when the price cuts into the profit margin.

Old 03-14-2012, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
Hmmm... I suspect that there is an ingredient in Tide that some street chemist has figured out is necessary in the manufacture of an illicit substance.
Yaaah! No wonder our washing machine has been acting so crazy lately!

Old 03-14-2012, 10:08 AM

25,744 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
This is true. However, there are alternative currencies in use today, here in the US. As of Feb. 2012, twelve different states are considering the use of gold and silver in their respective states. Merchants in localized markets accept gold, silver, copper, and many other commodities, as they see fit. They make the decisions.
My current "home state" (Utah) recently passed a law legalizing gold and silver as a currency. I've yet to see any real difference at places of business, but I have heard of a few businesses that are accepting gold and silver for purchases. It will be interesting to see what happens with it. Just to be safe, I've been trading some of my "promise paper" (paper US dollars) for silver. The dollar is only of value because we all agree it is and have confidence in it. It has no intrinsic value. If that confidence wavers, I think hard gold and silver will garner a bit more confidence. Of course, I am of the opinion that food, tools, skills, and other such useful items will be a more secure bet. Everyone needs to eat, right? You can't eat gold or silver. But it is kind of fun to hear a few troy ounce silver bullion coins jingle in a coin bag.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
You can't eat gold or silver.
Ever try eating a Federal Reserve Note?

Maybe you could wash it down with a bottle of Tide!

Old 03-14-2012, 12:40 PM

25,744 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Quote:

Naw, somehow a Tossed Federal Reserve Note Salad with bacon ranch just doesn't sound all that appealing.

Old 03-14-2012, 01:56 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,946,745 times
Quote:

I don't think that's the recommended method for money laundering
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness