Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 05:58 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,213,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Since keeping a few gallon jugs of water, some extra non-perishable foodstuffs, and a couple of oil lamps and lamp oil in case of some short term emergency does NOT constitute "preparing for Doomsday", I seriously doubt that there are "millions of Americans preparing for Doomsday". I'd guess the number of Doomsday preppers at significantly less than 100,000 ... in a nation of 300+ million.

I'm sure there are more that fantasize about it, but the leap from fantasy to reality is significant.
Oh you might be surprised!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2014, 06:10 PM

25,721 posts, read 18,797,332 times
I can see someone "fantasizing" about living alone on some lost desert island somewhere; of course, the fantasy generally doesn't include how the "someone" is going to eat or live. That's the hard part. Lounging under a palm tree isn't going to cut it.

However, I'm not sure that I can fathom anyone in their right mind fantasizing about doomsday or the end of the world. Isn't that similar to someone fantasizing about developing terminal cancer or dying in a car accident? Really... if you want to die (which is certainly what's going to happen if the world "ends"), there are easier ways to accomplish the task than facing doomsday. Besides, if you just "off" yourself (assuming you have that sort of death wish), you are not raining on anyone else's parade, right? You can realize your goal AND be courteous and considerate of others.

Old 03-11-2014, 06:28 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,401,050 times
I am in the US because of political persecution of my parents. I also have suffered hunger and been in physical danger of a type uncommon in the US. Whether it is first generation or 4th generation, a lot of Americans have similar backgrounds. They did not come to the US for vacation or to study, we came here because of peril in our home country.

I think self sufficiency is one trait that is really American and different than in a lot of other countries. Of course many people all over the world are self-sufficient, but it seems to be lauded more as a desirable trait in the US. Not trusting the government is what we do, and for good reason considering many our origins or our ancestor's origins. Plus I do think it is fun. I don't stockpile anything, but I love trying to be self-sufficient in terms of food.

We are lucky enough to be very safe in historical terms and compared to other countries. We also are rich compared to most people in the world...so why not do some "extra" to try to ensure our survival since there is time and there are resources?

Yet ironically a lot of our wealth is because of borrowed money. And people who have seen others lose their homes or livelihood in the past what...decade?...have become a bit more wary of trusting "big brother" to help us. There does not seem to be a "bailout" designed for the average person, so it makes sense to fend for yourself.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:32 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,934,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
I am in the US because of political persecution of my parents. I also have suffered hunger and been in physical danger of a type uncommon in the US. Whether it is first generation or 4th generation, a lot of Americans have similar backgrounds. They did not come to the US for vacation or to study, we came here because of peril in our home country.

I think self sufficiency is one trait that is really American and different than in a lot of other countries. Of course many people all over the world are self-sufficient, but it seems to be lauded more as a desirable trait in the US. Not trusting the government is what we do, and for good reason considering many our origins or our ancestor's origins. Plus I do think it is fun. I don't stockpile anything, but I love trying to be self-sufficient in terms of food.

We are lucky enough to be very safe in historical terms and compared to other countries. We also are rich compared to most people in the world...so why not do some "extra" to try to ensure our survival since there is time and there are resources?

Yet ironically a lot of our wealth is because of borrowed money. And people who have seen others lose their homes or livelihood in the past what...decade?...have become a bit more wary of trusting "big brother" to help us. There does not seem to be a "bailout" designed for the average person, so it makes sense to fend for yourself.
Exactly, well said. My Grandparents came to this country from Ireland with nothing to their name, fleeing poverty and hardship.

I think some of their fire is still in my blood.

Old 03-13-2014, 04:01 PM

335 posts, read 409,867 times
Why are people preparing for Doomsday is actually a good question. Firstly, one has to examine the mindset ,reasons and kinds of people albeit what is their real motivation. Secondly, we as Christians for instance don't believe in a doomsday (at least anytime soon) since there are a series of events that make preparation essential but not a guarantee of survival. The bible speaks of a chronology of events such as signs and pangs (not withstanding interruptions of those with Gods warnings even judgment (s). We are preparing for the rapture of the church (believers) biblically speaking the "caught up". Then a 7 year Tribulation followed by a 1000 year reign of
Jesus in Jerusalem. Then a period of speculative time when earth is destroyed by fire. The secular approach is focused on disasters, worldwide grid collapse, earthquakes , financial collapse leading to anarchy,rioting.looting mass murder.

Old 03-13-2014, 05:21 PM

25,721 posts, read 18,797,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inattentive View Post
Why are people preparing for Doomsday is actually a good question. Firstly, one has to examine the mindset ,reasons and kinds of people albeit what is their real motivation. Secondly, we as Christians for instance don't believe in a doomsday (at least anytime soon) since there are a series of events that make preparation essential but not a guarantee of survival. The bible speaks of a chronology of events such as signs and pangs (not withstanding interruptions of those with Gods warnings even judgment (s). We are preparing for the rapture of the church (believers) biblically speaking the "caught up". Then a 7 year Tribulation followed by a 1000 year reign of
Jesus in Jerusalem. Then a period of speculative time when earth is destroyed by fire. The secular approach is focused on disasters, worldwide grid collapse, earthquakes , financial collapse leading to anarchy,rioting.looting mass murder.
Not to birth a religious discussion/argument here or anything... but I'd question putting complete faith in what is written, whether you believe as a Christian or not. That text has had two-thousand years in the "hands of men" to be tampered with and "adjusted" to form-fit the beliefs at any given time. We can't even keep our own history honest without some political, social, economic, or philosophical slant finding it's way into our own texts. We've had a couple of decades to rewrite our history. What do you think can be done in two thousand years? Do you think people before our day were any different in that respect?

Old 03-16-2014, 09:32 PM

The reason why so many Americans are getting ready for doomsday is doomsday is just around the corner .
Seriously there are a few perspectives within a mix of thinkers, secular pessimists and Christians. The
Christian slant has to do with biblical signs ,signs and harbingers prior to the church being raptured. The secular point of view is via looming natural disasters and catastrophic events somewhat paralleling Christian . Secular
pessimists are simply thinking that stuff might happen that's bad. Nobody is prepared in America except for a
isolated zealots who have the funds and property to pull of survival. Christians are the worse preppers . Why?
God will provide God is Love I'm nice so "no woman no cry" oops! No wrath No warnings No need to prepare.

Old 03-16-2014, 09:36 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
some are paranoid and some are just fools . it takes all types.
my vote would be for those who tend to be prepared for the unexpected.
like my friend used to say, huck just bek you are paranoid does not mean they are not out to get you.

Old 03-22-2014, 09:44 PM

If you want the latest view from a Christian prepper please consider watching a few video's Jim Bakker Show.com
archive video's as Mark Biltz (El Shaddai ministries) March 12,13,17,and 18th discusses the coming blood moons (eclipses) that happen to fall on certain feasts they also coinside with the next 7 year Harbinger due 2015 ( the financia lcrisis in 2008 was the last). Although we expect warnings and not a wrath of God that will destroy North America or part of it (yet) . Some prep
is indicated just in case the warning is severe? I personally believe what will precipitate a need to prepare is a market
collapse and the outcomes (not pretty ) in which commerce comes to a halt and a run for food and looting and other
bad can ya dig?

Old 03-24-2014, 08:51 AM

195 posts, read 281,557 times
Anyone who can maintain a "c" in jr college can get paid to go, fairly well, and end up saving 10k in a year, fairly easily. If you know what to do with that 10k, it can set you up for life (if you are single and have no kids). Go overseas, marry a doctor, engineer, physicist, etc, and get paid for bringing them here. They can get the same grants or loans that you can. They can have a bachelor's degree from a US school in a year, then get 20k per year in loans and grants, to attend graduate school (1/2 time). Their expenses run 6k for the school and they'll be making clearing 40k+ per year at a job, paying you 16k of that. If you live on your school money, and invest that 30k per year from your spouse wisely, you can be all set in 4 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness