Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 02:05 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
And it just may be worth it.
Remember, it is NOT the law that decides guilt, it is the jury.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 04:38 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,622,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Remember, it is NOT the law that decides guilt, it is the jury.
The jury is instructed on what is and is not acceptable for consideration, i.e. the law.

In addition, the jury is picked by - you guessed it - lawyers.

Old 05-06-2012, 04:50 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,107,360 times
Default Police eye opener

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
My teenage son likes beating the crap out of me. I've struck back---and wound up with CPS all over me. WTH was I supposed to do---stand there and take it? Essentially, yes!

I'm not supposed to strike a "minor child" although this kid is 6'4" and 200+ pounds. I'm supposed to "retreat to the nearest safe place and call police" Well, what if he has me trapped in a corner? Stand there and take it until I can reach a phone, then say, oh, wait a sec while I call 911? That's exactly what happened a few weeks ago, ds had me cornered and was screamin in my face, raising his fists at me. I managed to hook his ankle with my foot, causing him to trip, now I have a charge of child abuse because he broke his arm while he fell.

BTWE, I am disabled, but no agency seems to give a $hit about that, just oh, the wicked mommy, hurt her little boy! Oh, but this kid has inflicted bodily harm on me, nothing done....I get the impression cops think its cute!
Paying for the mistakes you made earlier in life is sometimes difficult. Many people don't teach their children what no means when they are at a young age, instead they wait until the word no mean nothing and a teenager does what he wants to do. Sound familiar? When I was a LEO I ran into many of these situations, most of the people I didn't feel sorry for.

Old 05-06-2012, 05:33 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,655,857 times
I guess it really depends on your situation, and THE Situation..
Where I live local PD is virtually minutes away at all times. Now I probably have the officer outgunned, but what I would do, and have instructed my wife to do, is retreat to the bedroom and call 911 on the house phone (it goes to local PD, cell call goes to CHP) stay on line with 911 and shoot if door is kicked in.
In California shooting really has to be life or death or you'll end up in San Quentin.
Now if I lived Rurally, like I will in a few years, in a gun friendly state, with help a long time away, that's a different situation, requiring a different game plan....

Old 05-28-2012, 01:00 AM

483 posts, read 1,222,060 times
The police are around for one reason: to make revenue for the state. They are not here to serve, protect, or defend you.

I was watching "Doomsday Preppers" today on NatGeo, and one of the ladies who was prepping for a disaster was stocking up on radios/walkie talkies to give to the police department in the event of a disaster that would cause civil unrest. I found it quite humorous that someone who was into prepping seriously thought that after a disaster and during civil unrest, that the police would be there to help. Especially with no radios or tools, except maybe their guns.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:52 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,274,703 times
Default juries

Booker T Washington said 'It is better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6'. I agree. The NRA sells a book that outlines the gun laws in each state.

Here in Louisiana, a visit to the local police will also do the trick. I find that it is the Feds who are the worst when it comes to self defense, followed by being the wrong color in the wrong place.

When I was talking to our local cops after Katrina, one of them told me that the best defense is to establish a paper trail. If someone threatens you, report it to the police. If you are afraid of someone, report it to the police. These reports become part of your defense if you kill someone in self defense.

Old 06-04-2012, 02:41 AM

8,483 posts, read 6,932,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Glad it turned out OK and that you now understand that the job of the police, despite their motto, is NOT to protect anyone, but to collect evidence after the fact, investigate and perhaps make an arrest some day.

Protecting oneself and family is a personal responsibility.
I am sorry to say the evidence is overwhelming that this is true. I would add to that generate revenue.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:56 PM

197 posts, read 299,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
Depending on the laws of your area taking the law into your own hands just may put you behind bars.

Better tried by 12 than carried by 6..........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness