Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 08:16 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,945,917 times

Advertisements

I bought one of these compass pendants for "dress up" occasions. It just contains a button compass on the backside, but I etched a mark on the outer rim where the N needle points when the jump loop is pointing true north. It's not totally accurate, and will be significantly off in a couple of years, but it's good enough to get going in roughly the right direction as long as I'm in my general area. You don't have to sacrifice looks for preparedness
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 08:59 AM

1 posts, read 681 times
People who love maps often love orienteering as well. There are great map discussions on Attack Point and other sites frequented by orienteers. Delaware Valley Orienteering Association has extremely detailed maps (down to the individual boulder or rock field) and people who are not familiar with map and compass use can have free instruction at events, which are almost weekly. Check the schedule on their site. I like to read maps just for fun, but hiking or running in the woods, finding hidden controls on my map, is an adventure almost every Sunday.

Last edited by MissingAll4Seasons; 07-10-2012 at 12:57 PM.. Reason: New poster, possible asvertising spam, removed urls

Old 11-15-2013, 04:26 PM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
I also maps. I always try to get a map of place either arriving there or as soon as I can after arrive. This way, I can orient myself beforehand in order to know where things are. As said it is always to have a map in case an emergency situation arises so one's knows what ones options for getting around any obstacles that might occur.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:20 PM

645 posts, read 1,275,958 times

Old 11-24-2013, 03:55 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,998,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
. . .Which maps you need are somewhat dependent on your location and your plans. For instance, a topo USGS map is likely less useful for someone trapped in a city than a street map would be; and conversely a street map is likely less useful for someone traveling through the wilderness than a topo USGS map.
. . .
That isn't true at all. Having used USGS maps to rain fire and steel on people, they are the best thing going. . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
Age of the map is more important than you might think. The most recent topos for my particular grid are over 7 years old and are now incorrect, both man-made and natural features have changed significantly enough to be problematic for detail orienteering... you could probably find your way to the rough square mile where my cabin is located, but I doubt you'd find my doorstep. Maps for more highly populated/traveled areas are updated more frequently, and (printed) road maps tend to be updated more frequently than topo maps.

Also be aware that the presence of certain facilities may lead to inaccuracy/limited detail in all forms of maps and aerial photos. Most commonly these will be military bases and government complexes... for example, the maps I posted above for Fairbanks are not entirely accurate because specific information related to Ft. Wainwright has been omitted.
The age of the information is, indeed, important. It would be best to be at least passingly familiar with your maps before you really desparately need them. For instance, topo maps in my area of New England often show stone walls - that are still there - 150 years or more after they were originally put up. But they often don't show recent buildings (<10 years old), building developments, and new roads. Road maps may also not show these, but are updated more often and are more likely to show more up-to-date features. A topo may show an abandoned track or roadway that is 50 years out of date, and hard to follow today. In bad weather, or with snow, it might not be possible at all. At the same time, current road maps do not show tracks or fire roads or logging roads at all. Google maps and Google Earth are the most incredible source ever since cartography was invented, but they aren't perfect, either.

Old 11-25-2013, 06:09 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,945,917 times
Topos are good for urban orienteering 1) if they've been recently updated, 2) they clearly indicate (legibly) the presence of easily identifiable landmarks, 3) you've zoomed in to the grid to get a useful level of information, and 4) if you can get up high enough to appreciate a bird's eye view of the area (a tall building or a plane).

If you're trapped at ground level with your line of sight occluded by buildings, especially new buildings or in a recent development, you're probably going to have an easier and more accurate time going off newer street maps using street signs and municipal buildings/landmarks that are identified more clearly on city maps, often with blow-ups of denser areas already on the flipside.

Old maps are useful in that they may show abandoned roads and tracks that may no longer be maintained, but may still be passable on foot with care since the original road bed was cut out of the original landscape and the area flora may not have completely recovered.

Orienteering in inclement weather of any kind is difficult, especially if some sort of event has decimated or distorted some or all of the local landmarks (like a tornado, earthquake, fire, bomb, etc.) Land nav is a whole different skill than sky nav... both take practice to become proficient, and being proficient in one doesn't mean you'll be more than passably adequate in the other.

Old 11-27-2013, 08:01 AM

564 posts, read 1,879,962 times
I laminate my maps with clear acetate sold at my local hobby store....been using it since the 1980's when I was a young grunt.

Old 11-30-2013, 03:13 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,682,072 times
When our town in Maine was founded in 1832, magnetic north was 13 degrees west of true north. Today it's more than 18 degrees west. New surveys that describe old property lines are described as north, five degrees east to show where the line on the ground is today. The old stone wall that has been there for a century and a half is now 5 degrees east of today's magnetic north. Some property owners don't understand that. I just tell them the Canadians moved the north pole. ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness