Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 02:36 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,946,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
As for a "prepper" lifestyle, there are certain things that are common to most preppers here that wouldn't fly at all down there (again, speaking of South America). One thing any sane prepper knows is that they don't want to stick out like a sore thumb. That would definitely be tougher down there--and I'm not talking just because of skin color.
And this brings up another interesting point, something else to consider.

We've been discussing the aspects of strategic relocation more from the prepper mindset... what to do or not do based on an assumption that things could wrong rapidly. In that case, sticking out or being alien, might very well be a bad thing.

However, from a self-sufficiency standpoint, looking at one's ability to be autonomous and self-reliant with minimal obstacles, strategic relocation may beneficial despite the obvious risk of being alien in the new location. If the "great upheaval" doesn't occur, and you are in a new location where you are more able to exercise and enjoy responsible liberties and freedoms (or at least those that are important to you) than you were in the old location, then you may be better off than if you'd stayed put.

Note that I said responsible liberties and freedoms... not absolute liberties and freedoms

The huge red flag would really only be a critical issue if something occurred at the new location that precluded you from enjoying those benefits. That could be SHTF here at home and rippling around the world, or simply a global upheaval, or some radical change of government in the new place related or unrelated to everything else going on.

But if you were somewhere where you could live and work without excessive tax burden and government intrusion via excessive regulation and licensing, where you could reasonably build the house you wanted and grow the food you wanted and engage in trade as you wanted, without excessive fear or anxiety of social, economic or political whammies... being a newb might not be all that dangerous and the quality of your life may improved.

The first thing you have to do is identify what things are important to you. Not just liberties and freedoms, but also tangible aspects like climate, materials availability, technological availability, etc. Then you can research other areas to find ones that map to your list. Narrow it down to a few places and then REALLY research them... type and stability of gov't and economy, social structure and temperament, attitude towards outsiders, etc. Once you get it narrowed down to two or three, then look at the immigration requirements... and go back to research other places lower on the list if you can't meet them. Throughout the whole process be really honest with yourself about the pros and cons of each place and whether or not you can tolerate the cons to get the pros, and if relocating with those known factors really does place you in a better position overall than where you're currently at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 05:35 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,233,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
I'm with you Fred- I live in a state that many would see as very involved and regulated and I don't feel tyrannized whatsoever. I feel protected (somewhat) and taken care of. I laugh when I see license plates from NH that say "live free or die". Usually, they talk about rights to pack a gun. I'd rather live in a place where I don't need one to fend off the freer people thank you.
And actually that's a good point, too. It's just another spin on "One man's junk is another's treasure."
What is tyranny to one person is nothing more than basic laws to regulate a complex society for another. Or what is "free" to one person is "anarchy" to another.

It's all a matter of perspective. And, along those lines, in a democracy (or representative republic for that matter), people get the government they want.
People who feel more regulation is vital to the organization and success of the society are more likely to live in areas with more laws and ordinances.
People who don't are more likely to be found in areas with few...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness