Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 09:43 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity1111 View Post
Well, we made it to mid-2013!!...This is a thought provoking thread with a lot of good points. I'd thought I kick it alive because preparedness is, at the very least, logical.

Leaving Las Vegas:

Last year at this time I was in Las Vegas. Our garage had 5 gallon water jugs stacked up, we had pails of dehydrated food, maps printed of where to march out, if for ANY reason roads were blocked, ammo stored, weapons upgraded, ect. ect. ect.

Then it hit me, as I looked around our housing development, which we were PROMISED would NEVER have Sec.8 housing, it had morphed into HUD Housing. All of a sudden, I knew Las Vegas would become more of a chaotic zoo then it already is, if any event, or fallout would occur. If California took a hit of any kind, Californians would be streaming like ants into Vegas, their relatives would have cleaned out every Costco and Grocery store for 20 lb. bags of rice, and packages of meat in less than a half hour...
Combine that with facing a record hot summer, we put the house up for sale.

Fast forward to a year later..Everything we own and everything else we could possible fit went in a container to Hawaii. We shipped every car and I told my young adult kids, if they wanted their cars, they would have to move to Hawaii. They grumbled, but left Las Vegas.

I shared this story for the what it's worth dept. We were very comfortable and happy in Vegas with good jobs, the kids grew up there, all their friends are there. But peace of mind began slipping more and more. At first we couldn't put our fingers on it, but it became apparent for us to think outside the box.

Just getting our boots on the ground in Hawaii, high ground that is, in case of tidal waves, and hurricanes.
Found out you can't even buy flood insurance in some areas close to the coastline..too much risk for insurance companies..Hurricanes hit them out pretty hard in Iniki in 1992.

There's lots of problems in this state, but that's a different thread! There's different survival issues to dive into. but we already sleep much better at night, knowing we don't have to depend on air conditioning this summer. So far, I haven't seen any Chem-trails, real happy about that.

It took a HUGE amount of research and energy and time to get moved. It was a massive push, and everyone advised AGAINST moving, I mean ZERO Support. But sometimes you got to do what you got to do even though it rattles everyone including friends and family around you..
What makes Hawaii a more acceptable place than Las Vegas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2013, 10:37 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,559,399 times
The island of Maui has a population of 158,226 inside at 727.2 sq. miles.

Las Vegas population to reach 2 million
inside 131.3 square miles.

It's already crowded and beyond resource if the Sante Fe train system or trucking/highway system were to experience even a minor interruption or slowing of service

In addition,
The close proximity of Las Vegas with Los Angeles (population: 10 Million) and many extended family ties will make Las Vegas a destination in the event of California having a massive power outage or major earthquake.

Old 06-12-2013, 02:34 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,991,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxCar Willie View Post

AND then you'll have more neighbors and others who hear you have food showing up. Soon all the food, water, and such is gone or very low and you need to save it for You and Yours. WHAT will you do? If you have a morsel THEY will want it and will KILL you for it.
A smart prepper would keep their mouths shut about what they have stored - or even mention prepping. Let the other person mention it first. Then maybe discuss it. I would still be leery. Why? Because if their store ran out, they're be coming to you looking for food and other supplies.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:58 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,990,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity1111 View Post
The island of Maui has a population of 158,226 inside at 727.2 sq. miles.

Las Vegas population to reach 2 million inside 131.3 square miles.

It's already crowded and beyond resource if the Sante Fe train system or trucking/highway system were to experience even a minor interruption or slowing of service
Hate to break it to you, but Maui is located in the State of Hawaii, some 2,500+ miles from the mainland. Currently, the main food supply for the island of Maui is estimated to be only 10 days. The estimated nonperishable consumable stock for the island of Maui is estimated at 20 days (primarily due to Costco). The perishable food supply for the island of Maui is only 7 days. Maui, like all the islands comprising Hawaii, is subject to shortages of food and supplies resulting from bad weather on the open seas, ship breakdowns, operational interruptions at shipping points, even rough weather can cause inter-island barge shipment delays. There have been times when gasoline or propane has run out for a few days. Because supplies are not available from multiple sources and shipping points, that’s why you will always hear Hawaiian residents tell new comers, if you see it buy it because it may be a month before it’s in stock again.

If you want to see how traffic delay at a toll plaza on the mainland can cause supermarkets to run out of flour, visit Hawaii. A threat of a typhoon could empty the shelves of water in an hour because what you saw on the shelf was all they had. Many Hawaii stores don’t have those huge storage rooms since what comes in goes on the shelf, and when the shelf is empty, you wait for the next shipment. There are probably more generators for sale at your local Home Depot than at all the Hawaii home improvement stores combined.

On the flip side, Hawaii is a self-sufficiency playground. You have everything from the 'homeless fern dweller' all the way to a modern home completely off-grid. It’s not out of the realm of possibility to live on Hawaii totally cut off from society and material needs. However, a study did show that despite all the independent, self-sufficiency, self-reliance living available, many of those people are still dependent on state government to provide some of their basic needs. Hawaii also has a more 'community' feel during emergencies. The whole "it's mine, all mine" attitude isn't a traditional Hawaii attitude.

If the belief is that Hawaii is better because the population to land is best, why not advocate moving to Mauritania.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:36 AM

2,398 posts, read 3,834,200 times
On the flip side, Hawaii is a self-sufficiency playground. You have everything from the 'homeless fern dweller' all the way to a modern home completely off-grid. It’s not out of the realm of possibility to live on Hawaii totally cut off from society and material needs. However, a study did show that despite all the independent, self-sufficiency, self-reliance living available, many of those people are still dependent on state government to provide some of their basic needs. Hawaii also has a more 'community' feel during emergencies. The whole "it's mine, all mine" attitude isn't a traditional Hawaii attitude.

Absolutely but I think I'd choose the "big" island over Maui.

A very similar situation exists here in AK (without the gardening potential) which is why we are sadly leaving. On a good year we could grow enough potatoes, greens and harvest enough fish to feasibly last a winter but I don't want to subsist on fish and potatoes in a pinch. I like my beef, tomatoes, corn and spices too much so we are in the middle of relocating to where those things are readily had.

I think Hawaii would be excellent with enough coin to go off grid, (or partially) store rainwater and raise year round food. We will be doing the same but in tradition midwest farm country with relatively mild winters. We've got a good start already.

Good luck to you OP.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:59 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,990,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-Cathy View Post
Absolutely but I think I'd choose the "big" island over Maui.

A very similar situation exists here in AK (without the gardening potential) which is why we are sadly leaving. On a good year we could grow enough potatoes, greens and harvest enough fish to feasibly last a winter but I don't want to subsist on fish and potatoes in a pinch. I like my beef, tomatoes, corn and spices too much so we are in the middle of relocating to where those things are readily had.

I think Hawaii would be excellent with enough coin to go off grid, (or partially) store rainwater and raise year round food. We will be doing the same but in tradition midwest farm country with relatively mild winters. We've got a good start already.
I agree with the Big Island over Maui especially for self-sufficiency/reliance.

I have heard many people say they were moving to Alaska to get some wilderness land, go off grid, grow and hunt their own food, and basically live as a free man. Most are back living Joe and Jane Suburbia lifestyle. I know that it can be so though that it actually turns people off from dealing with that lifestyle once they return. Unfortunately, instead of modifying their plans and picking something a little more doable, they shut the door on that way of living.

Old 06-15-2013, 11:44 AM

37,462 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Anyone here on CD Forums who lives in a cave please pipe up and let us know. Anyone? Anyone?

... crickets chirping ...

Yeah, I didn't think so.
When we were shopping for land to homestead on. I looked at two places that had mines. We had a lot of discussion about possible lifestyles inside a mine. Decided instead to do something different.

A year worth of food.

Aside from grain, if you feed your family;
1 quart of canned meat/veggie product for mid-day,
and then 1 quart of canned meat product and 1 quart of veggie product for an evening meal, every day.

Then you require 1,095 [356 X 3] quarts of canned food put-up.

Home Ec was once a required highschool class. Home gardeners who grew-up during the age when Home Ec was required should all know this math.

Growing tomatoes and canning 40 quarts is fantastic! But 40 is a far cry from 1,095.

Maple flow comes once/year. During Maple season I need to boil-down and bottle enough to last us until the next harvest [one year].

When fiddleheads come up, I need to pick, clean, freeze/can enough to last us until the next fiddlehead season, which is one year away.

Soon will be veggie season. ...

Mid-fall I cull poultry. We need to produce enough poultry [so without wiping out our flock] we can put-up enough to last one year.

Late-fall we do our pork. The same routine applies.

That is one year worth of food. For each item, you need to go from one harvest/culling to the next harvest/culling. One thing may be culled in spring, another in fall, but it all works out the same.

Old 06-15-2013, 03:49 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,630,795 times
I am depressed and overwhelmed. I have decided to not fight the inevitable if it happens. That is my thought today. Tomorrow, I may feel differently....as I am a survivor and have beloved granchildren who look to me for guidance. It just all seems too much somehow....

Old 06-15-2013, 04:17 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
I am depressed and overwhelmed. I have decided to not fight the inevitable if it happens. That is my thought today. Tomorrow, I may feel differently....as I am a survivor and have beloved granchildren who look to me for guidance. It just all seems too much somehow....
There are very few events that are inevitable. I know that I'll die; that's inevitable. But in the meantime I can conduct my life in ways that should prolong it and protect those I hold dear, my pets. Since I have no family I can live where I choose. I've chosen to live far away from population centers. But I'm only twenty miles away from a city of 9,000 which has extraordinary amenities for its size. My county and every place within a hundred miles is monoracially White so I'll never have problems with race riots or worry about being a target because of my race. People here have traditional values and neighbors get along. My county gave Mitt Romney 80% of the vote in the last election and the state gave him 75%. We carry guns without any government permission slip and the culture applauds the armed man and woman. Few here like government interference.

I have food and supplies stored but discuss it with no one. I know that many of my neighbors do the same. I'm almost seventy but I have a business that I'm continually working to expand. I'll never "retire". When I meet people in Wyoming one of the first things they ask is what I do. I like that. I fear only the federal government because they believe that they own me; they frequently kill people to frighten the rest by example. I have as little to do with them as possible. If the cities blow up I believe that the Washington government will have its hands full giving us a possible chance to depart.

But overall I simply believe in averting problems before they happen.

I am a survivalist. It's not because of what I wear or what I own. It's because of my intelligence and knowledge coupled with a determination to stay alive and free.

Last edited by Happy in Wyoming; 06-15-2013 at 04:27 PM..

Old 06-20-2013, 07:09 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,595,073 times
I have very little set aside besides guns and body armor, in a true utter apocalyptic SHTF I plan on taking what I need and munching on the neighbors if need be. Survival of the fittest and all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness