Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 08:42 PM

116 posts, read 546,405 times

Advertisements

For any reason(s) you like.

I think Alaska is No.1 because it has a low population, lots of wilderness, best gun laws in the world, good fishing and hunting. The worst thing about it is the weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 08:50 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,232,941 times
doesn't the length of growing season affect the peppers, though?

Old 06-08-2012, 08:56 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,629,876 times
If considering states that I think are favorable statewide, I'll list..

West Virginia
Iowa
South Dakota
Nebraska
Wyoming
Utah

and I like the southern Blue Ridge region on the east coast because the temperature range and culture, can't talk on the west coast, I say Utah only from what I've watched and seen in statistics.

Old 06-08-2012, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
doesn't the length of growing season affect the peppers, though?
You can survive on a diet without peppers.

Old 06-08-2012, 09:31 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
You can survive on a diet without peppers.
I think he meant to type "preppers".

Old 06-09-2012, 06:24 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,687,536 times
Alaska is OK. What shot it down for me was several things; the growing season (I planted 125 fruit and nut trees here last month) and how the cold and terrain affects animals, including me. I spend summers here chopping wood for winter - summer is three months here, and winter is 6-7 (we've gotten snow in June before). I didn't want to go too much beyond that; and trying to keep domesticated critters warm, dry, and fed in Alaska would just be too much for me and DH personally. EX: We have a nice deep trough for our critters here next to the corral, with a solar-powered submersible water heater; you think that you can break the ice off every morning until the metal crowbar ricochets off of the 3 inch thick ice and makes you rattle like Wile E Coyote!

ID is nice and very pretty, lots of open spaces, and nice mountains. Unfortunately when we were looking there 5 years ago, the prices for property were overblown - too many Californians moving there, and the locals were taking advantage of them. They also have a severely shortened growing season; not as bad as Alaska, but my brother who lives there finally put his vegies in large containers on a huge cart so he could wheel them in and out of his garage when the nights in June/July still dropped below freezing. Also much of the property for sale that we looked at there was rock; the arable land was either high-priced or not for sale. Lots of very pretty rivers and tree-lined streams, but still - we weren't going to spend $100,000 for a trailer on 10 acres on the banks of a rocky stream, nor $125,000 for 10 acres with 3 greenhouses and a 30 YOA 2 br brick house with a damaged foundation (due to earthquakes and slippage).

As pretty as the Smoky Mountains are, unfortunately everyone knows it, and the prices are high for what you can get there - unless you want to live in a holler where the 'rich folkses' with their 5,000 sq foot retirement 'cabins' haven't already bought and built for the view. While that does sound appealing, the soil (again) is rocky and hard to manage for crops where land is cheap, and the continuing growth and expansion impinges on arable spots. EVERYone wants to move there, especially the "half-backs" - those who moved from up Nawth to Florida and then changed their minds and are looking for 4 seasons and a real winter, so they move "half-back" Nawth.

Basically it all depends on what you're looking for. If hunting and fishing and living off of the land in a minimal survivalist mode suits you, you won't care about being in a place where crops and food animals can be raised with relative ease. If all you are planning for is you and (maybe) a single spouse or partner, perhaps a large sturdy farmhouse won't suit. Things like water rights and mineral rights may not mean anything to you initially, but if they don't come with the property, someone could have access to your water and mine your property - after you've already started using it based on the assumption that it was all yours.

It took us three years of looking to find exactly what we wanted, not just for ourselves but to be a BOL for our adult children as well. Arable soil, a decent climate, and a large (for us) chunk of property for pasture were important. Then we considered the political and social mindset of the area. All of that had to be figured with what we could afford reasonably. We had a 1 year, then a 3 year, then a 5 year plan already written out before we ever bought, what we wanted to do and create and have here. Some indicators were deal-breakers (no open carry, too many controls/ordinances, people moving into an area rather than away from) while others were not. Each person has to determine what they want, what they need, what they can afford, as well as what they are willing to do and NOT do -and do their research for what suits them best.

PS - FYI guys - ItsMeFred is a girl.

Last edited by SCGranny; 06-09-2012 at 06:45 AM..

Old 06-09-2012, 07:27 AM

The Smokeys are almost completely off my list because of the small properties there and the prices. It appears only a handful of people are self sufficient there. Its hard to find something reasonable located right against national forest but several miles in any direction away in foothills but not near any of the known cities like atlanta columbia knoxville there are some reasonable deals that keep popping up and getting snatched up. I think the economy worsening and buyers market is ripe now. I'm seeing deals i didn't see 5 years or even 1 year before. I'm looking at foreclosures and things like that with good water potential and isolated to buy outright, not concerned if its mostly wooded, we just need the most bang for the buck for the future.

Old 06-09-2012, 07:51 AM

27 posts, read 88,184 times
How about Utah? You would be surrounded by other preppers (Mormons). I would much rather be surrounded by preppers than by folks who didn't prepare.

Old 06-09-2012, 08:23 AM

116 posts, read 546,405 times
Having a green house would increase the length of the growing season.

Old 06-09-2012, 08:56 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,487,112 times
No one state is perfect for everybody. You should live where you'll be comfortable, whether that means a state where you grew up, a state where you have family, a state where you once lived or visited and liked it there. I think the biggest consideration is, do you have friends or family for moral and other support? You generally cannot control where your family lives...I can attest to the fact that not being within hailing distance when TSHTF may be a worrisome thing. Most people just figure they can call somebody, or text them, without considering that the cell towers may be inop. If you have NO friends or family, then I guess you can just go where the weather suits your clothes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness