Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 01:37 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,561,848 times

Advertisements

They aren't expensive, and the one I'm looking at runs on rechargeable lithium batteries. Maybe purchase a dozen batteries, and that would provide some entertainment during a loss of power? They even have solar battery chargers, but I don't know if they would recharge these type of batteries.
What do you think? I am not doohicky saavy, don't even play dvd's on my computer.

this is what I'm looking at
Sylvania 7" Portable DVD Player - Walmart.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 02:15 PM

Granted I haven't spent any time on this forum, and have a lot to learn. I take it this may have been a stupid question, if so, why? I can take it. I am reading this forum now.

Old 07-10-2012, 03:22 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,689,672 times
Sure why not. Me, I prefer simpler things like books, cards and board games.

You could easily track down the right solar charger for your batter type.

Now you need to have a large stash of vids so as not to get to bored.

Old 07-10-2012, 03:24 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,577,289 times
When I was posted overseas I found that a little portable DVD player was great because I couldn't always get to a TV or computer. I had a CD player for music as well, both battery operated.

I don't think they are unreasonable, something of a luxery, but everybody has "wants" as well as "needs"

In fact, having several good movies or books help keep your mind focused and keep you from going nuts if you are seperated from people for an extended period for whatever reason.

You figure out what you want, and that is what will make you happy and better able to cope with an emergency. Keeping up morale is part of survival.

Welcome to the Self Sufficency/ preparedness board

Old 07-10-2012, 08:59 PM

I see, you view it as a luxury. To be honest, this is the type of thing I want to view with it, documentaries that are not anywhere else. I have a spouse that is not on the computer, so this would be an educational tool for both of us. During a power outage, this would be a great way to spend our time, at least it would be to me.

- Exclusive Alex Jones Movies

End Game, 9/11 Chronicles, maybe The Greater Good on vaccines etc
I have loads of books, but showing my spouse instead of trying to tell him about this stuff, goes a lot further. He's not going to hear this from Rush or The Five, know what I mean? I'd have a captive audience.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:32 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,453,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
I see, you view it as a luxury. To be honest, this is the type of thing I want to view with it, documentaries that are not anywhere else. I have a spouse that is not on the computer, so this would be an educational tool for both of us. During a power outage, this would be a great way to spend our time, at least it would be to me.

- Exclusive Alex Jones Movies

End Game, 9/11 Chronicles, maybe The Greater Good on vaccines etc
I have loads of books, but showing my spouse instead of trying to tell him about this stuff, goes a lot further. He's not going to hear this from Rush or The Five, know what I mean? I'd have a captive audience.
It would also be good for viewing how-to DVDs (survival oriented). In fact it wouldn't be a bad idea to record some of the YouTube videos on blank DVDs so you can refer to them if you ever need them. Also it is small enough to fit in a Faraday cage.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:41 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,032,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
When I was posted overseas I found that a little portable DVD player was great because I couldn't always get to a TV or computer. I had a CD player for music as well, both battery operated.

I don't think they are unreasonable, something of a luxery, but everybody has "wants" as well as "needs"

In fact, having several good movies or books help keep your mind focused and keep you from going nuts if you are seperated from people for an extended period for whatever reason.

You figure out what you want, and that is what will make you happy and better able to cope with an emergency. Keeping up morale is part of survival.

Welcome to the Self Sufficency/ preparedness board
I would think you would need it if you are STUCK with certain people for an extended period...

Old 07-11-2012, 01:30 PM

Wouldn't everybody with kids want to have one in case of a power outage?

Old 07-12-2012, 06:56 AM

349 posts, read 616,148 times
I wouldn't. Draws too much attention if youre trying to not be noticed. Light, sound. Plus, really? There's better things I'd be worried about having on hand besides my copy of The Lion King... even if it's my favorite movie.

(Hakuna matatta!)

Old 07-12-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paint It Pink View Post
I wouldn't. Draws too much attention if youre trying to not be noticed. Light, sound. Plus, really? There's better things I'd be worried about having on hand besides my copy of The Lion King... even if it's my favorite movie.

(Hakuna matatta!)
So you're plan is to hide in a dark closet and not make a sound. Okay. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness