Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 06:45 AM

833 posts, read 1,713,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
I have actually done this, for a different reason, not necessarily to save money: I have a horse trailer and the only tires I like are the Maxxis brand. We used to live in South Florida and the only place that carried them was an authorized dealer 80 miles away in Miami. So I ordered them online (Google a little bit, there are quite a few places that sell discounted tires, obviously I am not the only one looking to NOT get robbed by the local contractor mafia) and there was a place that was quite happy to put all four on my trailer for a whopping total of $20.

According to my septic contractor (and you), the place should have asked for $200? $400?

Bet you feel smart now?

OD

---" Bet you feel smart now ?---

I just had a complete ,top of the line, septic system installed on the farm last November ( a requirement in order to sell it )

Local contractor................it was not cheap.

I didn't have to run to an internet forum and cry that I got ripped off.

Yes, I feel ....smart ,,,,

Old 06-23-2012, 07:40 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,631,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwolf fan View Post
---" Bet you feel smart now ?---

I just had a complete ,top of the line, septic system installed on the farm last November ( a requirement in order to sell it )

Local contractor................it was not cheap.

I didn't have to run to an internet forum and cry that I got ripped off.

Yes, I feel ....smart ,,,,
If you enjoy spending your hard earned money paying 200-300% markups on stuff, more glory to you, money must come easy in your neck of the woods. All them federal subsidies for farmers and ranchers do pay off at the end?

OD

Old 06-23-2012, 08:02 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
No kidding

I actually built one and I compost our human manure next to our horse manure. I read the humanure handbook too, ya know?

Problem is, the county requires you to have a functional septic system. They actually force you into a yearly maintenance contract that you have to pay for (involves quarterly inspections). Otherwise the county is great, no building code, no enforcement of building code...

OD

you should check and see if your state considers a home without electricity is considered a home or not taxed and regulated differently here in Wisconsin.
I have what is considered a 6 bedroom home, but since only 2 of the rooms ahve windows, the county is only allowed to count it as a 2 bedroom home. I also have a wood burning stove, and no plug ins for electricity as well, so it is also considered a home without LP or electricity either.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:50 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,905,533 times
I think it has more to do with the fact that cleaning out or repairing a septic tank is very dirty and undesirable work so most people don't want to do it unless there is enough money in it to make it worth their while. Let's face it, if it was easy and not to dirty then the original poster would be fixing it himself.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:11 PM

986 posts, read 2,508,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeSlave View Post
The rest of the world is just as bad if not worse.
I always shake my head when it's claimed that "people are basically good." The word "basically" has a lot of slack in it. Many people are definitely good at making themselves look good, and society holds together because many things just can't be faked (like physical infrastructure).

But the number of people I've met who seem 99% ethical and non-superficial is on the order of 1 in 5. You can tell some people are scamming you before they even start talking, just by some indefinable quality in their eyes. These opinions may be exacerbated by experiences with ruthless competition at work, but that's the real world, anyhow.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:13 PM

122 posts, read 97,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
You're the man who always talks about being self-sufficient. Why not learn about it then be independent of service people. There's a plethora of books on amazon; here's one.

http://www.amazon.com/Country-Plumbi...ref=pd_sim_b_5

Right now you sound like a suburbanite writing in his McMansion.
As much as I agree with the OP's basic premise, I have to agree with this, too. If you don't like the labor charge, figure out how to do it yourself.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:45 PM

122 posts, read 97,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_north View Post
I always shake my head when it's claimed that "people are basically good."
It's a total lie. 99.9 percent of all people suck. To most of you, I fall into the 99.9 percent and that's ok, so do you in my eyes.

But anyone who says "people are basically good," deserve to be ripped off without remorse or pity, because they're so completely stupid.

Old 06-29-2012, 09:31 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,085,530 times
the basically good people have moved out of northeast pa leaving behind the 99 out of 100 that lie,cheat,steal and suck at being"good" human beings

Old 06-30-2012, 06:40 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,631,163 times
Default Conclusion

After I was mercilessly ripped off by the thieving contractor scum, I had one more septic contractor come out - here we have to have yearly contracts for the maintenance (mandated by the county).

I asked him for a quote for the same job (with my part) that I paid $850 for. His quote? $150.

I wish there were laws to use to go after the roadside robber I ran into.

OD

Old 07-03-2012, 10:05 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,620,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
the basically good people have moved out of northeast pa leaving behind the 99 out of 100 that lie,cheat,steal and suck at being"good" human beings
Gee, thanks - that's really appreciated.

Moderator cut: argumentative

Last edited by MissingAll4Seasons; 07-03-2012 at 09:05 PM.. Reason: removed rude remark
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness