Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 06:15 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,688,423 times

Advertisements

Just a note - a structure built in 1960 with a central A/C unit likely uses a non-CFR coolant. Our old house had a central unit that used the 'illegal' coolant, and we had a friend who had kept a store of it and periodically refilled our A/C.

Also, and unknown to most, A/C units also develop 'pinhole' leaks over time, that can cause a gradual evaporating loss of refrigerant. Many units that have to be recharged every spring are actually suffering from this ailment.

Just some things to think about from a 'prepper' viewpoint; at what point does recharging an A/C unit become illegal or non-feasible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 08:39 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
Just a note - a structure built in 1960 with a central A/C unit likely uses a non-CFR coolant. Our old house had a central unit that used the 'illegal' coolant, and we had a friend who had kept a store of it and periodically refilled our A/C.

Also, and unknown to most, A/C units also develop 'pinhole' leaks over time, that can cause a gradual evaporating loss of refrigerant. Many units that have to be recharged every spring are actually suffering from this ailment.

Just some things to think about from a 'prepper' viewpoint; at what point does recharging an A/C unit become illegal or non-feasible?
Good points, Granny! I'm sure my 2 new boxed units have the 'new' refrigerant. Ditto with our older window unit that DW uses in our bedroom in hot weather. I can't sleep with it on...I generally sleep downstairs on the couch, where it's cooler and quieter. But that unit is 'aging' as well, and I have cleaned it and inspected it, but did NOT check out the refrigerant -- but now I WILL thanks to your advice.

Old 07-07-2012, 08:49 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
My mistake, I thought I read fuses in one of her posts.. I had no idea this was central, not a window unit.

My main idea was to wet blankets hung in a doorway, and use a fan to dry them which if it works like it does on a canteen should cool some smaller area.

Old 07-07-2012, 10:28 AM

833 posts, read 1,714,244 times
Sounds like a version of the old----swamp cooler

Works great in desert areas, a disaster in areas that are already humid.

Old 07-07-2012, 11:52 AM

2,449 posts, read 2,876,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
My mistake, I thought I read fuses in one of her posts.. I had no idea this was central, not a window unit.

My main idea was to wet blankets hung in a doorway, and use a fan to dry them which if it works like it does on a canteen should cool some smaller area.
It is central air. They told me they were replacing fuses. I really have no idea......

Old 07-07-2012, 08:25 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,631,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotomus View Post
I have an idea I haven't tried yet....If you have access to electricity (whether solar or whatever) it requires a fan and access to cold water. It's better if you have well water because this uses a running tap.

You modify a regular fan the way they normally show you on youtube to turn it into a home made air conditioner. You know, where you zip tie copper tubing around the fan grill and a hose going to an ice cooler? But instead of using a cooler with ice in it....you attach the hose to your cold water tap (whether indoors or outside, your choice) and run the cold water through the tubing while the fan runs..,...never seen this on youtube yet. If you have well water (or even better a cold natural body of water) you won't have to pay for the water...except maybe the electricity to run the pump...
I bought a fan at WalMart that does this....it's a mister. I actually have several kinds.

And, I concur with the idea or statement that people suffer more in the inner cities or cities in general with the heat. Here in Florida, we are beginning to pave over most everything and it gets hotter and hotter every year. I have several big oak trees over my house that in a storm are probably going to be a problem but....they do keep us cooler....

Old 07-08-2012, 09:01 AM

I am not sure but have the idea a metal 2 qt canteen covered in wool, probably pre-dates a swamp cooler. I have seen these canteens for all my life so far and I have never seen a swamp cooler yet, but I will as soon as I google it.

The way the canteen works is to dunk it in water you can drink, to fill it and wet the wool covering. Then you l;ashed it to a saddle or a back pack to begin to dry the wool, coolong the canteen in the evaporation process.

I am guessing the cooler works the same way, but possibly in a better way.
With a blanket in a doorway you would use a box fan to speed things up.

Old 07-08-2012, 09:47 AM

833 posts, read 1,714,244 times
There is a reason why the evaporate cooling system (swamp cooler ) is used in dry,desert climates and refrigerated systems are used everyplace else.

Old 07-08-2012, 10:06 AM

Red, this also brings to mind a canvass bucket system I had forgotten about that does the cooling, but folds or collapses when empty. Back in the day the linen same buckets were the best, but I doubt anyone can find to buy a new linen bucket now.

Old 07-08-2012, 10:06 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,034,543 times
You couldn't use a swamp cooler here. We need the a/c to pull the humidity OUT of the air to cool it down. I can see it working in a dry climate, though. If the power's out, we use wet washcloths over our necks and legs, and re-wet them often. it helps pull the heat out of the body. cool footbaths are nice too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness