Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 07:28 PM

833 posts, read 1,713,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
Luckily, with a bit of planning, you wouldn't need to eat any hunted humans yourself... you can use it as bait for other game, or feed them to your guardian pets and livestock (hogs & chickens). So, I might not be entirely willing to eat a person, especially not hunt a person, but I would have zero compunction about using that meat for other purposes.

don't fear the man with the gun, fear the man with the hog farm
a very disturbing post.

Do you really believe what you posted...................( " zero compunction about using that meat for other purposes "

Old 07-26-2012, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
With all due respect, if you saw your children starving to death for lack of food, I expect you would change your mind.

We're talking about a desperate scenario here. Yes, I would certainly try every other option first including hunting animals and eating rats if that is all that was available. But when it means LIFE OR DEATH - LIFE OR DEATH for you and for loved ones. It becomes a "them or me" situation. I won't sacrifice myself or my family for a lofty notion that people are somehow above being food if the circumstances warrant it.

20yrsinBranson

I believe only in killing in self defense ( meaning someone is about to do bodily harm to me )

Even with no laws, I was taight from my father,...................your freedom ends where the other person's freedom begins.

Old 07-26-2012, 07:56 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,942,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwolf fan View Post
Quote:
Luckily, with a bit of planning, you wouldn't need to eat any hunted humans yourself... you can use it as bait for other game, or feed them to your guardian pets and livestock (hogs & chickens). So, I might not be entirely willing to eat a person, especially not hunt a person, but I would have zero compunction about using that meat for other purposes.

don't fear the man with the gun, fear the man with the hog farm
a very disturbing post.

Do you really believe what you posted...................( " zero compunction about using that meat for other purposes "
I already use inedible or low quality or unpalatable or culled meat/by-products for fishing & trapping bait and feed for guardian animals and omnivorous livestock. In a dire situation, I am pragmatic enough to extend that practicality to ALL species... waste not, want not.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:02 PM

Quote:
I already use inedible or low quality or unpalatable or culled meat/by-products for fishing & trapping bait and feed for guardian animals and omnivorous livestock. In a dire situation, I am pragmatic enough to extend that practicality to ALL species... waste not, want not.

however,what I am questioning is, your post specifically mentioned---" hunted humans "

Old 07-26-2012, 08:24 PM

986 posts, read 2,507,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Let's say the ultimate SHTF scenario occurs and food supplies are depleted quickly. If you were very hungry and had the means, would you....COULD YOU....eat a person?

Could you kill and eat a person if your life and the lives of your loved-ones depended upon it?

I most certainly could.

20yrsinBranson
This needs more context. I don't think anyone can really know until they're put in that situation, or they've been twisted all along.

You didn't qualify the word "kill" with the context of someone who's already dying (i.e. Donner Party) vs. someone you'd just take out selfishly. The latter would be evil, like "Ravenous."

Old 07-26-2012, 08:39 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,559,730 times
Quote:
one poster said his pets are part of his family and he would consider murdering an innocent human to feed them

Another poster from Alaska said she would consider the economic pros and cons of killing a
ninnocent human verses hunting wild game.( even mentioned the pros and cons of keeping slaves )

The dangers you folks face is there might be a real survivalist living near you and find out your views.
He might consider your views such a threat to him in the future that eliminating you now might be the most practical way of preventing getting murdered later on.
We murder and torture innocent animals every hour of every day, I really don't think it's such a giant leap to consider killing and eating humans too, if they think death is the worst thing that could happen to them. For me, I think twice about killing a fly, I've rescued them from my dishwater, I've rescued mice, I carefully take spiders out of the shower, so if it comes to killing to survive, I know I'm not going to make it, and I'm okay with that. Those of you willing to do so, may just be prolonging your own suffering.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:16 PM

986 posts, read 2,507,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
You are in a much better position than many of us. Interior Alaska is where I would like to be in this situation as well. I think people in large population centers are going to have it the worst. You are in a place where you can theoretically live off of the land and may be able to avoid hunting humans as a food source.

Am I right, or as an outsider, do I not understand Alaska?
The brutal winters in Alaska, not to mention the bears, might ruin that scenario. A tropical island would have much easier food pickings, if you could survive the parasites and such.

I'd go for a semi-wilderness place (not an island) with mild weather, and close enough to the remnants of cities to scavenge stuff. But others would probably have the same plan. A lot of it would depend on how many people are left to compete with.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:24 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,995,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_north View Post
The brutal winters in Alaska, not to mention the bears, might ruin that scenario. A tropical island would have much easier food pickings, if you could survive the parasites and such.

I'd go for a semi-wilderness place (not an island) with mild weather, and close enough to the remnants of cities to scavenge stuff. But others would probably have the same plan. A lot of it would depend on how many people are left to compete with.
In this scenario, I fear my fellow man more-so than the fierce Alaska winters. Remember, if you are up there to begin with, you already have resident knowledge of how to live day to day life in the winters up there. All you have to do is modify your habits as you enact your survival plans.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:44 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,942,023 times
Quote:
however,what I am questioning is, your post specifically mentioned---" hunted humans "
Yes, and it also mentioned that with proper planning that you may not have to resort to hunting a human or eating them, and that I might not be entirely willing to do either... but I recognize, in extreme circumstance, that it is an option, and using any meat (regardless of how it was acquired) as bait or animal feed is likewise also an option. Whether I select an option or not entirely depends on the circumstances, what other options are available at the time, and after carefully considering the risks & benefits of each option.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:50 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,271,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet_ohara View Post
If we didn't have some kind of filter to be repulsed by viewing our species as food, I think we might have become extinct. It is adverse to the survival of any species.
In your opinion, however in reality shows differently. Chimpanzees, bears, sharks, tuna are just four examples of species that consume smaller examples of their own species. Cats, Primates, Pigs, and obviously rodents/lagomorphs all are known to eat their direct offspring, and even Dolphins (though there is no evidence of eating) are known to kill young suspected of not being of their genetic lineage.

So there is obviously some form of benefit in doing so, to the point that these offset the negatives (for example injuries sustained from defending parents).

So no indeed it may not be adverse to the survival of the species, it may well be an important co-factor in their survival.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness