Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 08:11 PM

25,732 posts, read 18,809,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
I don't think I could ever eat my pets, no matter what the circumstance. I need them for protection, plus they've had their vaccines, I'm not sure I want those chemicals in me. After they be gone, then what?
As for people, it might depend on the person. I don't think I would want to live in a world that consumed people. I don't even like living in a world that is so cruel to animals.
Generally, vaccines are simply weakened "bad guys" that are injected to promote antibody production within the body. Or, if they are chemicals, they are, again, used to promote antibody production. The body is quite efficient at elliminating unneeded chemicals from the body. So there really wouldn't be any chemicals in the pets. Having said that, I ain't eating my pet either. If that were the plan, I wouldn't have a pet. I'd simply have barnyard animals. That's what they're for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Gentlemen, relax. Nobody is PLANNING to go to this extreme. This is a completely hypothetical discussion, and a perfectly legitimate discussion. So legitimate, in fact, that I once had this discussion in a philosophy class while I was at the University of Colorado. Generally, most people object to cannibalism because they believe in the concept of the soul, and that we are created in God's image. I agree with this. Not everyone does. If you do not believe in God or the soul, then there should be no objection. If you believe in evolution, there REALLY should be no objection, as evolution tells us that we are just animals anyway.

So relax. Nobody needs to be killed or jailed over starting a discussion. If you want to do this to 20yrs, then you need to do it to a few philosophy professors at universities around the country as well.
I'm not uptight at all. Simply offering my opinion. Even a very brief study of history shows how absolutely disgusting and cruel people can be with each other. Study the history of the techniques of torture and/or execution a little bit. It's enough to make you hate humanity if you let it. I'd like to think we are above that sort of thing. But I know we are not. Civility is a very thin veneer. I'm not saying that every single human being is a sociopathic monster. But they are out there en mass.

Putting my diatribe from the previous post in a more focused format would go something like this: whether or not there is any law or enforcement/punishment, I feel murder is wrong (yes, Virginia, I used the word "wrong." And yes, I know it's 2012. Shall I strengthen the term and call it "evil"? ). Again, murder is not compatible with the concept of true liberty.

Quote:
I would not object because I think humans are special to God, I believe every creature is precious. I would not consume a human because I think we are disgusting animals. Most of us are obese, go eat a can of lard if your that desperate. I don't think enough of the human race to donate my touche to your survival. I agree with Gates that we can do without a few billion, but I don't approve of his means, and would probably want to include the likes of him in the cull. Maybe we would make good fertilizer.
The irony is that your attitude is exactly why sociopath sorts of survivalists will try to justify the killing of others for their flesh or possessions. They don't feel that human life is of any worth. What's more astounding, though, is that they can't reason out the horrendous flaw in their logic; because if they could, they would simply turn the muzzle of their 9mm to their face and pull the trigger. That would be the logical course of action if they were able to take their belief to its logical conclusion--i.e. correct their flawed logic.

Old 07-22-2012, 11:04 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,564,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Generally, vaccines are simply weakened "bad guys" that are injected to promote antibody production within the body. Or, if they are chemicals, they are, again, used to promote antibody production. The body is quite efficient at elliminating unneeded chemicals from the body. So there really wouldn't be any chemicals in the pets. Having said that, I ain't eating my pet either. If that were the plan, I wouldn't have a pet. I'd simply have barnyard animals. That's what they're for.

I'm not uptight at all. Simply offering my opinion. Even a very brief study of history shows how absolutely disgusting and cruel people can be with each other. Study the history of the techniques of torture and/or execution a little bit. It's enough to make you hate humanity if you let it. I'd like to think we are above that sort of thing. But I know we are not. Civility is a very thin veneer. I'm not saying that every single human being is a sociopathic monster. But they are out there en mass.

Putting my diatribe from the previous post in a more focused format would go something like this: whether or not there is any law or enforcement/punishment, I feel murder is wrong (yes, Virginia, I used the word "wrong." And yes, I know it's 2012. Shall I strengthen the term and call it "evil"? ). Again, murder is not compatible with the concept of true liberty.

The irony is that your attitude is exactly why sociopath sorts of survivalists will try to justify the killing of others for their flesh or possessions. They don't feel that human life is of any worth. What's more astounding, though, is that they can't reason out the horrendous flaw in their logic; because if they could, they would simply turn the muzzle of their 9mm to their face and pull the trigger. That would be the logical course of action if they were able to take their belief to its logical conclusion--i.e. correct their flawed logic.
Boy you twisted that beyond recognition and rationale. The survivalists aren't going to be the ones looting and rampaging thru the streets looking for food and weapons. The surivalists will be the one's waiting for them to come to their door, ready for action.
Sociopaths are the globalists that want to reduce the population to 500 million any which way they can, including perpetual wars, chemical weapons, indefinite detention, poisoning our air, food, water, vaccines riddled with mercury and side effects, psy ops, radiation, duck it's comin at you from all directions. Wake up.

Old 07-22-2012, 11:33 PM

25,732 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Quote:
The survivalists aren't going to be the ones looting and rampaging thru the streets looking for food and weapons. The surivalists will be the one's waiting for them to come to their door, ready for action.
Yes, I would like to believe that as well. But at times some of the posts here have me scratching my head and wondering if that's really the case.

Quote:
Sociopaths are the globalists that want to reduce the population to 500 million any which way they can, including perpetual wars, chemical weapons, indefinite detention, poisoning our air, food, water, vaccines riddled with mercury and side effects, psy ops, radiation, duck it's comin at you from all directions.
You are correct. But it seems you are not taking into account that evil people are not exclusive to the bad guys. You tell me, is a survivalist (generally regarded as the good guys on this forum, I assume) who is willing to murder in order to fill his/her stomach right or wrong? Does he/she stand for liberty or does he/she not? How is he/she any better than the rabble on the other side that will be raping, murdering, and plundering?

Quote:
Wake up.
I assure you that I am awake. I also assure you that I'm not so caught up in a just cause that I am blind to potential dark elements within that cause. There are undoubtedly dark causes (for instance, your globalist reference above); and then there are dark elements within just causes. Be careful that you are not blind to those dark elements hiding under a white hat--be careful that you are not the one saying, "Yeah, he may have just murdered that man in cold blood, but he's wearing a Gadsen lapel pin. He's on my side and must be A-Okay." It may well be that not everyone rallying around that flag of freedom truly believes in what it stands for.

Old 07-22-2012, 11:38 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,398,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Let's say the ultimate SHTF scenario occurs and food supplies are depleted quickly. If you were very hungry and had the means, would you....COULD YOU....eat a person?

Could you kill and eat a person if your life and the lives of your loved-ones depended upon it?

I most certainly could.

20yrsinBranson

NO ! I'd rather die...that way you could eat me !!! Just the thought gives me a baby barf. Why would you want to survive if you are reduced to eating humans ? I can't wrap my brain around that !

Old 07-23-2012, 12:29 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,564,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Yes, I would like to believe that as well. But at times some of the posts here have me scratching my head and wondering if that's really the case.

You are correct. But it seems you are not taking into account that evil people are not exclusive to the bad guys. You tell me, is a survivalist (generally regarded as the good guys on this forum, I assume) who is willing to murder in order to fill his/her stomach right or wrong? Does he/she stand for liberty or does he/she not? How is he/she any better than the rabble on the other side that will be raping, murdering, and plundering?

I assure you that I am awake. I also assure you that I'm not so caught up in a just cause that I am blind to potential dark elements within that cause. There are undoubtedly dark causes (for instance, your globalist reference above); and then there are dark elements within just causes. Be careful that you are not blind to those dark elements hiding under a white hat--be careful that you are not the one saying, "Yeah, he may have just murdered that man in cold blood, but he's wearing a Gadsen lapel pin. He's on my side and must be A-Okay." It may well be that not everyone rallying around that flag of freedom truly believes in what it stands for.
hmmm, you sound awake, but confuse me. To my knowledge, the survivalists generally are not the ones threatening others, they are stricly talking self-defense. So I'm not following your line of thought that they are out to kill in cold blood.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:18 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,003,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkdmom View Post
NO ! I'd rather die...that way you could eat me !!! Just the thought gives me a baby barf. Why would you want to survive if you are reduced to eating humans ? I can't wrap my brain around that !
This is pretty much where I sit. Not that I would want to be killed for someone else's consumption. But if my choice was one or the other, with no middle ground, I simply cannot bring myself to take another person's life for food.

General self-defense, this is another story.

Perhaps there is something to be said about surviving, riding out the storm and restoring society to a certain degree. I would try lay low and ensure my own family's safety, perhaps helping restore society once it is safe to do so. Take my family out of play and this is a totally different equation. I'm not sure that I would want to go on without them. Hopefully I'll not have to find out.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:04 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
We know about a number of instances of cannibalism. From the stories we learn that those eaten had already died. This may very well be true. There are certainly unreported instances as well. We know of incidents that involved throwing people out of lifeboats.

What will we do? I don't know and I won't find out until I'm faced with the situation, a very unlikely event in my case. I do know that I couldn't eat my pets. If I knew we were all bound to die I think I could euthanize them to save them from something worse but it would really be tough. I'm not constituted to give up or to cave in. That does not mean I'm a hero. I consider myself a real coward; but I just can't give up even if I'm scared to death. I know I'd kill a person to get food for my animals but I'd be afraid of prion disease if I ate someone. (See my previous post)

This is not a likely scenario. But it's more likely than an asteroid's striking the earth or the Yellowstone caldera blowing or any of the once in a million years events that a few posters seem to delight in. There's one who views a cataclysmic event as likely but is sure that there won't be a financial disaster, as if we aren't in one right now. I doubt that I'll run out of food that comes in cans. I doubt that North American society will run out. There could be problems in cities with the exception of Utah although I could imagine mass expulsions of undesirables there. That's the primary reason why I live in the emptiest part of the country. There are probably enough fish here to sustain the population although not at desired levels. My real fear based upon events of the last ten years us that we are headed for a totolatarian society. That's easiest to do if the population is scared. That's why the government won't lower taxes or make it a reasonable course for banks to ease credit. Those two policy changes would end the current depression. Know your real enemies and prepare for likely events.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:35 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,947,840 times
Custom of the Sea - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is nothing new and has been done before by our ancestors

Old 07-23-2012, 08:29 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Perhaps in a survival incident i would give some thought to eating another deceased human for survival if the thought even entered my mind,if this were to be a continuing lifestyle of going around eating dead corpses i doubt for many reasons i'd last very long and as for killing a loved one to survive that aint gonna happen..

Old 07-23-2012, 11:07 AM

1,341 posts, read 1,530,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Gentlemen, relax. Nobody is PLANNING to go to this extreme. This is a completely hypothetical discussion, and a perfectly legitimate discussion. So legitimate, in fact, that I once had this discussion in a philosophy class while I was at the University of Colorado. Generally, most people object to cannibalism because they believe in the concept of the soul, and that we are created in God's image. I agree with this. Not everyone does. If you do not believe in God or the soul, then there should be no objection. If you believe in evolution, there REALLY should be no objection, as evolution tells us that we are just animals anyway.

So relax. Nobody needs to be killed or jailed over starting a discussion. If you want to do this to 20yrs, then you need to do it to a few philosophy professors at universities around the country as well.
Just my way of pointing out that I think this topic is very disgusting. The eating of a human body isn't the problem, it's the topic of hunting someone to feed your loved ones. Only a truly deranged mind would even consider it. Especially since there will always be plenty of food for the true survivor. So if this is philosophy maybe it should have been posted on that forum.

Maybe I just need to reassess this place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness