Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2012, 09:09 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
That's swell. I guess you can forage in the forest where you live. Of course, we'd hope it was summer and not the dead of winter. Not much "vegetation" to eat in the dead of winter.

20yrsinBranson
More than you would think. I'd suggest reading up on wild edibles and useful urban plantings rather than the overly exuberant jump to cannibalism. Perhaps start guerilla gardening in your immediate area now so as to avert such drastic measures later.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:29 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
More than you would think. I'd suggest reading up on wild edibles and useful urban plantings rather than the overly exuberant jump to cannibalism. Perhaps start guerilla gardening in your immediate area now so as to avert such drastic measures later.
Yes, and linking back to my slavery posts, if you have six slaves foraging you'll have plenty of extra food for you and yours and even some to sell. Slavery is the civilized alternative to cannibalism. There's the connection, Missing, and thanks for convenient post, lifelong.

Folks, thanks for the reps and direct communications on slavery. I understand your reluctance to be more public.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:51 PM

25,713 posts, read 18,788,778 times
Let me wax philosophical again for a moment. Let's say you've just proudly harvested your first trophy human. I have two questions:

1) In the whole big scheme of things, what makes your life of more worth than your neighbor's nine-year-old daughter that you have just slaughtered, gutted, and thrown on your gridiron to keep your oh-so-important self alive and kickin' until your next murder? Are you somehow of more worth than she was? Maybe that little girl would have grown up to help someone else, rather than to kill them; you, now as a Dahmer clone, are part of the problem, not the solution.

2) Is a hungry murderer any different than just a run-of-mill murderer, other than being hungry?

Philosophy aside, here's my personal (rather than philosophical) response on the matter: I'm very enthusiastic about the whole self-sufficiency thing, being prepared for rough times, learning to do things that will allow me to survive in the absence of our industrial/consumption/JIT-based system, etc. But if and when all my preparations fail me and I am unable to continue in my own life with at least a shred of virtue and decency, and the only way I can continue my (by then) pathetic existence is to murder others... there is NO other option... well then, I assume one self-inflicted forty-five shot to the my own temple would be a relatively painless way to go and it would be doing others a service. Because, by that time, life would not be worth living anyway. So, yeah, I guess I would kill in that situation.

-----------------------------------------------------

Note: there are very few situations in which I would even consider suicide. But this is one of them. And again, I'm not referring to just eating human flesh, I'm referring to murdering someone in order to eat human flesh.

Last edited by ChrisC; 07-24-2012 at 11:02 PM..

Old 07-24-2012, 11:00 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,397,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
With all due respect, if you saw your children starving to death for lack of food, I expect you would change your mind.

We're talking about a desperate scenario here. Yes, I would certainly try every other option first including hunting animals and eating rats if that is all that was available. But when it means LIFE OR DEATH - LIFE OR DEATH for you and for loved ones. It becomes a "them or me" situation. I won't sacrifice myself or my family for a lofty notion that people are somehow above being food if the circumstances warrant it.

20yrsinBranson

So you'd be ready and willing to kill, and prepare for dinner, someone's child so your own could eat ?

Old 07-24-2012, 11:11 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkdmom View Post
So you'd be ready and willing to kill, and prepare for dinner, someone's child so your own could eat ?
Could you ever forgive yourself if you didn't?

Old 07-24-2012, 11:33 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,273,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Let me wax philosophical again for a moment. Let's say you've just proudly harvested your first trophy human. I have two questions:

1) In the whole big scheme of things, what makes your life of more worth than your neighbor's nine-year-old daughter that you have just slaughtered, gutted, and thrown on your gridiron to keep your oh-so-important self alive and kickin' until your next murder? Are you somehow of more worth than she was? Maybe that little girl would have grown up to help someone else, rather than to kill them; you, now as a Dahmer clone, are part of the problem, not the solution.
Wow talk about melodramatic and emotional. If you want the big scheme of things answer, the answer is simple, I can breed, a 9 year old cannot. Thus in the big picture, I can do my rightfully appointed task and propagate the species, if I die I can't. If I don't have sustenance then chances are neither does my neighbor (or I wouldn't be looking to eat his daughter), so she's going to die before reaching breeding age anyway. This is the entire big picture based on natural principles, and I don't think it's what you're looking for.

More pertinently as I stated, if my neighbor also has no food (and there's certainly the implication he doesn't because if they did I wouldn't be eating them). Then if I don't slaughter and eat them, then will they be slaughtering and eating me. I'm not particularly concerned about them eating me, but I'd kind of object to the slaughtering part.

Quote:
2) Is a hungry murderer any different than just a run-of-mill murderer, other than being hungry?
What's murder? The illegal taking of a human life, in the circumstances we're discussing there is no law, thus no murder, just killing that is more or less justifiable based on personal opinion and ethics. Now you may be ethically opposed to killing for the purpose of survival, but you're not particularly because you've mentioned you agree to killing in self-defense. So you're position is actually inconsistent.

Quote:
Philosophy aside, here's my personal (rather than philosophical) response on the matter: I'm very enthusiastic about the whole self-sufficiency thing, being prepared for rough times, learning to do things that will allow me to survive in the absence of our industrial/consumption/JIT-based system, etc. But if and when all my preparations fail me and I am unable to continue in my own life with at least a shred of virtue and decency, and the only way I can continue my (by then) pathetic existence is to murder others... there is NO other option... well then, I assume one self-inflicted forty-five shot to the my own temple would be a relatively painless way to go and it would be doing others a service. Because, by that time, life would not be worth living anyway. So, yeah, I guess I would kill in that situation.

-----------------------------------------------------

Note: there are very few situations in which I would even consider suicide. But this is one of them. And again, I'm not referring to just eating human flesh, I'm referring to murdering someone in order to eat human flesh.
And as I mentioned above, Murder is a legal term, thus in all of the situations we've discussed there is no murder because there is no law. Your objection isn't legality, its moral, which as I pointed out above is inconsistent anyway, you'd kill in self defense, but not for your own survival. Which in effect is the same thing, because you're killing in self defense to maintain your survival. Do you see the dichotomy of your position?

Old 07-24-2012, 11:36 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,141,697 times
I don't have the info to back up my claim but I enjoy watching those shows on TV about surviving an apocalypse. An expert stated that most people will starve to death before eating anything they feel would be gross. You simply lose your sense of hunger after awhile so that probably helps when faced with something not appetizing. So to answer your question? I'd probably starve to death first.

Old 07-25-2012, 01:34 AM

2,802 posts, read 3,189,424 times
Survival is the name of the game. Cannibalism is definitely an option.

Old 07-25-2012, 01:49 AM

1,655 posts, read 3,397,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Could you ever forgive yourself if you didn't?

Yes ! I say that emphatically ! I'm not willing to kill a child for food, or any other person, to save my own, period, no matter what...its 18 varieties of wrong...it's diabolical...it's a reprobate mindset !

Since we are speaking hypothetically, though, I think some of the people here spewing off about surviving on human flesh are full of it. Btw, I'm not referring to you in anyway. I believe you could and would...lol.

But, I will tell you one thing, if anyone came looking to make a meal out of my kid I wouldn't think twice about snatching the life right out of them, all sense of propriety would be lost, they'd meet with a very, very pernicious end. Then I'd have a BBQ and send a care package to their family...if you know what I mean.

Old 07-25-2012, 01:51 AM

4,731 posts, read 9,944,608 times
With all due respect, anyone who thinks they can forage enough edible wild vegetation in the dead of winter in Interior Alaska... buried under 4-6 feet of snow, when it's -40 or lower, and you only have 2 hours of meager sunlight... to feed themselves (much less anyone else) enough to sustain basic metabolism (much less the caloric requirements of such an endeavor) should not, under any circumstances, move here unless you want to join Chris McCandless and others like him.

You might have winter forage options in your area, but not everyone does. And if Mr. Moose or Mr. Bear doesn't come awalkin' through my yard, I might not even be able to hunt/trap enough small game to survive either. So if my stores get tainted, or get raided (by human or animal), or my cabin & cache burns down and I have no way to resupply... all bets are off. I will not lie down in the snow. I will not go gentle into that good night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness