Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 10:23 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,170,667 times

Advertisements

I use a msr water filter,
Carbon core removes unpleasant tastes and odors caused by organic compounds, such as iodine, chlorine, and pesticides.
Can be cleaned repeatedly for full filter recovery with no tools required.
Durable carbon/ceramic element ensures safe, taste-free water—even with frequent, heavy use.
Effective against
protozoa Yes
bacteria Yes
viruses No
particulate Yes
Effective against chemicals/toxins Yes
Filter pore size 0.2 microns

tablets are nasty.imo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 10:19 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,455,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Right now I have a Doulton Ceramic which I think misses the boat on filtering organic chemicals and fluoride.

Most of the Doulton "candles" have granulated charcoal in the interior of the filter. Since these are slow drip filters, there is sufficient time for them to work on organics.

A reminder that the Berkey filters are NOT reliable as well as being overpriced.
Thanks. I suspected as much about Berkey. Does that go for ProPure or PurPro or whatever it is and other gravity filters (except perhaps for the travel kind)?

Old 07-25-2012, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
I use a msr water filter,
Carbon core removes unpleasant tastes and odors caused by organic compounds, such as iodine, chlorine, and pesticides.
Can be cleaned repeatedly for full filter recovery with no tools required.
Durable carbon/ceramic element ensures safe, taste-free water—even with frequent, heavy use.
Effective against
protozoa Yes
bacteria Yes
viruses No
particulate Yes
Effective against chemicals/toxins Yes
Filter pore size 0.2 microns

tablets are nasty.imo
Sounds like all you are missing is the Fluoride filter.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positiveone View Post
How is this one? Anybody have one? If so, pros & cons please.

Thanks!!

Amazon.com: Katadyn Pocket Water Microfilter: Sports & Outdoors
I think that one sounds great if you are in the woods and using it to filter well water or water other than municipal water. It seems that the ceramic filters, do really well at removing bacteria that the Chlorine has already killed in municipal water ,yet leaves the chlorine in! If you get a ceramic filter and are using it on town water, it needs to be used with a carbon filter as well to get the chlorine and radiation and organic chemicals out-- which is the main issue with town water. The silver impregnation is good because it inhibits bacteria growth inside the filters/unit.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:44 AM

23,597 posts, read 70,402,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
Thanks. I suspected as much about Berkey. Does that go for ProPure or PurPro or whatever it is and other gravity filters (except perhaps for the travel kind)?
It pays to do homework. For me, I just go with Doulton and relax. Any difference in price is worth it. If the filter is ceramic, chances are it will work. See the other thread on Berkeys

Old 07-29-2012, 11:22 PM

2,071 posts, read 6,696,287 times
A huge thank you to all above! Now I need to just purchase one already. Do you know the shelf life on the filters? I'm looking to purchase one more for a disaster or who knows!

Even though many have mentioned the tablets taste nasty, shouldnt I buy some for emergency? And where and which tablets should I buy? Please send a link to where these are sold at a decent price.

Thanks all!!

Please forgive my grammar I have brain damage from a past surgery.

Old 07-30-2012, 03:08 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Positiveone View Post
A huge thank you to all above! Now I need to just purchase one already. Do you know the shelf life on the filters? I'm looking to purchase one more for a disaster or who knows!

Even though many have mentioned the tablets taste nasty, shouldnt I buy some for emergency? And where and which tablets should I buy? Please send a link to where these are sold at a decent price.

Thanks all!!

Please forgive my grammar I have brain damage from a past surgery.
Filters don't do the job. Don't wasre your money and risk your life. There's plenty of objective information online. There are, however, many websites that take money to push these. If they have a forum they normally remove negative posts and often ban the posters. Be thankful that c-d is honest.

The best way to purify water is by distillation. Second best is boiling. Just heat the water to boiling and shut off the burner. Let it sit. It will be over 160 degrees for longer than the necessary time. 160 degrees is the temperature required to kill all the nasties. If the water you plan to treat is muddy. cloudy, or contains debris you should filter it first through a pillow case or similar to remove the garbage.

Chemical purification works fine but the tablets have a limited shelf life. The best method is using iodine crystals. However, these are now regulated by the DEA. However, you can buy tincture of iodine which also works but is less convenient. If you buy it in a plastic bottle transfer it into glass containers. That holds true for the crystals as well. Filtering to get out debris makes sense.

I've appended a link to tincture of iodine. amazon has different strengths and sizes. I've also appended a link to a formula to allow recovery of iodine crystals from the tincture. But be careful; it may be illegal to do this.

IODINE PINT 7%: Amazon.com: Sports & Outdoors

Sci-Spot.com - Iodine Crystals From Tincture

Old 07-30-2012, 11:44 AM

23,597 posts, read 70,402,242 times
"Filters don't do the job. Don't wasre your money and risk your life. There's plenty of objective information online. There are, however, many websites that take money to push these. If they have a forum they normally remove negative posts and often ban the posters. Be thankful that c-d is honest."

Sorry, but that is total BS. If you look up the history of Doulton filters you will find the proof to the contrary going back into the 1800s. FWIW, just about every municipal water system employs some form of filtration as part of the process of making tap water. All of the primary human pathogens except viruses and prions cannot pass a one micron filter. As you say, there is plenty of objective information online. Look for government sites and labs.

The NSF has a couple of filter categories. Most of the drip filters would fall into the "cosmetic" category if they dared to apply for certification and were willing to spend the money and time, but there are commercial filters that fully meet the standards of the next category up. The Doulton candle filters sit right at the cusp between the standards, and Doulton Fairry is the ONLY drip filter company that is actually listed with the NSF. Used properly, especially in conjunction with bleach/uv treatment do provide perfectly safe drinking water. Be aware that the certification by the NSF requires regular testing and the certification for the next highest category is VERY expensive.

I do agree with you about heating water to 160 F and keeping it there as a method of sanitizing it. That is consistent with my training in food handling, and as a point of interest, I keep our water heater at 165 in part because of this exact reason. We can safely brush our teeth with the cooled water that first comes out of the hot water tap, without resorting to filtered water. Short of worrying about the bacteria that inhabit the boiling springs in Yellowstone, it is perfectly fine.

I also agree that distilling is good, but you will notice that good vodkas use a combination of triple distilling and charcoal. Distilling can leave various chemicals and volatiles in water or any other liquid, and it takes FRACTIONAL distillation and repeated passes to minimize those.

For most people, the gunk on the tip of the water faucet presents far more of a danger than water filtered through a Doulton. Taken over the lifetime of the filter, it is an incredibly inexpensive effective method of gaining safe drinking water. (Unlike the Berkey black filters and some others).

Old 07-30-2012, 12:25 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,579,743 times
[quote=harry chickpea;25406448
I also agree that distilling is good, but you will notice that good vodkas use a combination of triple distilling and charcoal. Distilling can leave various chemicals and volatiles in water or any other liquid, and it takes FRACTIONAL distillation and repeated passes to minimize those.
[/quote]

1 small point here, Charcoal filtering for alcohol is to remove the fusel oils that occure when the alcohol is not distilled in a pure copper boiler, and occur natural when you use many starchy vegitables, (like potatos) or fruits with high sugar, (like grapes) to make your mash for alcohol production.
Those are the oils that can cause blindness or death, but charcoal filters remove any dangerous amounts of these oils from the finished product.
Fusel oil

When I see that triple distilled, (meaning to increase the proof as a straight run will produce about 20% alcohol, the next time you the distilled product through you increase the alcohol to around 50-60% alcohol, the third time brings it to about 80-90% or between 160-180 proof which is then cut with water to a standard 80 proof, and increases the amount available for sale), and charcoal filtered it is just standard distillation process for alcohol meant for human consumpton.

Using stack or colum stills made from steel works fine for fuel quality alcohol, with only single or double runs to get the product above 168 proof or about 64% pure alcohol which will run in an engine.

Triple distilling and charcoal has very little to do with the organic purity of the alcohol because alcohol kills bacterial contamination anyway.

Old 07-30-2012, 03:48 PM

2,071 posts, read 6,696,287 times
Wow! So many different opinions! lol. I'm a newbie at this. So which filter should I buy for a family of 4? ha ha!

Recommend a few please. And where to buy these-Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness