Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 04:03 AM

941 posts, read 1,803,252 times

Advertisements

relocating (don't go too far..we'll miss you) GREAT SUGGESTION
I just went over to see it online.. and the FRESH THE MOVIE trailers are excellent OMG why don't people care!!??

next stop this page with a plethora of info at mother earth http://http://www.motherearthnews.co...11&tag=history
from bread to beans.. bon appetite'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 04:49 AM

THe CHICKEN & EGG page ... all about it The Chicken and Egg Page

Old 08-23-2012, 06:13 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,683,581 times
People don't care because they don't know... or, don't want to.

Why grow your own meat or hunt down a local supplier, or even insist on locally-grown or even in-country-grown meat, when it is sooo much cheaper - and easier - to just run to the store and pick up whatever they're selling?

I haveta confess that, in the 50's, my mother (who hated to cook and was therefore no good at it) discovered TV dinners. She was so excited - all kinds of different foods right there on a "plate" that you could bake in the oven, no fuss, no muss! Did it matter that the gravy and potatoes tasted like glue, or that my Dad used about 2 tablespoons of pepper on his food just to be able to eat it? Nope! As all of the 'new and exciting, time-saving' products came along - Hamburger Helper, Banquet dinners, Ore-Ida potato flakes, etc - she pounced on them eagerly. My Dad complained so much that I taught myself how to cook, and from there to grow my own vegetables, bake my own bread, can my own food, raise my own chickens, hunt, fish, etc, just so that he and I - and later, my own family - could eat decent food.

Honestly, the natural food stores griped me when they first opened, and still do. Why would I pay three times as much for "fresh, organic" - when I knew danged well that it cost me less to 'grow my own' and that they were making a killing on their 'fresh' products (some of which are no more 'fresh and organic' than Wal-Mart imports).

Most folks listen to media and put into their bodies whatever they are told by the next food guru or talking head - most don't bother to read or study anything on their own, much less learn what is good for them or bad, or why. Once they took "Health" (as proscribed by government-paid-for books on the latest 'discoveries') in 7th grade, they 'knew' everything they needed to know, and were done. It's why, every six months, there's new 'discoveries' about what is 'good for you!' and what is "bad for you!" - someone else got still another government grant to research something that any Joe Blow could research for himself, and puts forth another treatise on "DON'T EAT THAT!! EAT THIS!!" - each one more ridiculous and ill-based than the one before.

I didn't care what other folks thought then, and I don't care now. We grow enough for us, not enough to sell at overinflated prices to gasping gullible gastric groupies who, next month, will be chasing after the next fashion-food trend.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
People don't care because they don't know... or, don't want to.

We grow enough for us, not enough to sell at overinflated prices to gasping gullible gastric groupies who, next month, will be chasing after the next fashion-food trend.

NAILED IT! (and as I always say "and that's why I love you"

Old 08-23-2012, 07:23 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,449,841 times
From a nutrient retention point of view, I think dehydrating food (and making sure that they are never heated above 118 degrees) is the best way to process and store food. I think the sale of MREs and these vacuum packed foods that will last for 25 years must be nothing more than empty calories. Canned food also isn't loaded with nutrients because its been heated to such a high temperature that the life forced is completely out of it. I think people are better off learning how to sprout seeds because at least with sprouts you are eating LIVE FOOD. Next people should have some type of garden so at least what they get from the garden is fresh and alive and not loaded with chemicals. For the things like grains and nuts; if their shelf life can be extended by vacuum packing, I'd do that. Also fermented foods are live so making and having those on hand would be preferable to dead food.

Old 05-14-2013, 11:27 AM

1 posts, read 852 times
Hi! I am new to this forum and would like to share any information I have on food storage. I do work for a company that sells long term food storage, although I would like to share some info. One of the best rule of thumbs is to store the food that you regularly eat. Don't buy anything just in case, otherwise, you won't rotate it with your regular meals. When thinking of disasters or droughts, or any other life event food is one thing that will be a constant. Building up your pantry of every day items that you eat is good as well as having a freezer full of items that you can turn to as well. If you are able to start a garden, start now to get practice and know what works. If you can, that puts you ahead of some! Look at storing bulk items such as items that will to allow you to make somethings from scratch... such as bread... Have some supplies on hand for some quick meals, like long term storage food, should you need to leave your area in like an evacuation... having a well rounded plan to help in any situation that might happen is the best plan. Would love to answer further questions if anyone had any. Moderator cut: email addy removed, please use DM instead

Last edited by MissingAll4Seasons; 05-14-2013 at 12:39 PM..

Old 05-15-2013, 08:56 AM

20,707 posts, read 19,349,208 times
Wine and beer.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:07 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
I live in a region that is not drought-prone. We try to buy mostly local food, from local farmers. Which works great, but, they price according to grocery store prices. So local food tends to rise the same as food trucked in from drought stricken regions, or from overseas.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:17 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,898,193 times
Default This is a revived thread.

The date of the OP is July 31, 2012, so it is almost ten months old now. Nothing at all wrong with that, of course. My point is that looking back on people's predictions is usually interesting. It seems to me that the predictions of food price increases due to drought were a bit over-stated. Is that the general consensus? I'm not saying that there were no increases, but they were so mild that I didn't personally notice them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness