Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 03:23 PM

25,483 posts, read 18,618,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePicker View Post
One of the world's largest open pit copper mines, and THE largest according to the owners and many mining experts, is in this photo.

Anyone see it?

Just saying.

EDIT: I'm not sure what elevation this satellite image is from, but I'm pretty sure it's less than 20 miles.
Bingham, Utah. Quite an operation.

I've been there. It truly is massive. It has "swallowed up" several towns and mountains over the years.

Lower right hand corner, by the way. Just below the Great Salt Lake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 08:37 PM

244 posts, read 389,873 times
I like to ask ecohippies if man is causing all this, What happened to the glacier that once covered New york? What happened to the glaciers that use to be at the frigging equator? After 4 years of the Idiot in charge, you can see why we are prepping for the end of days...

Old 11-25-2012, 01:38 PM

72 posts, read 77,556 times
first there'd have to be people who can LIVE long enough to form a group, and that's not going to happen. the ones with SOME stuff will be preyed upon by the 99.9% who have nothing in the way of preps, then the looters won't have a CLUE how to use what they've just acquired in the way of materials and tools.

Old 11-26-2012, 12:06 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,943,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_Rockford View Post
I like to ask ecohippies if man is causing all this, What happened to the glacier that once covered New york? What happened to the glaciers that use to be at the frigging equator? After 4 years of the Idiot in charge, you can see why we are prepping for the end of days...
And how long will all the preppers last if the SHTF? How long will their canned goods and bottled water and ammo last? A few years at best if no one raids their stocks... then what? What do preppers see happening, say 5 years after the big crash? China coming in and taking over the country? Some other nation barging in? Some group of preppers taking charge?

Old 11-26-2012, 07:29 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,108,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
And how long will all the preppers last if the SHTF? How long will their canned goods and bottled water and ammo last? A few years at best if no one raids their stocks... then what? What do preppers see happening, say 5 years after the big crash? China coming in and taking over the country? Some other nation barging in? Some group of preppers taking charge?
Most people I know who classify themselves as such grow or raise more than a little of their own food.

Old 11-26-2012, 06:07 PM

25,483 posts, read 18,618,666 times
Quote:
Well, let's go with your logic, here: Let's say the "prepper" has 5 years worth of food, but doesn't know anything more about survival than a stockbroker who has never been out of NYC other than on business trips. Let's also assume that, as your post stated, that the "prepper" is able to retain his/her food. Okay, given that the S has just HTF... who, statistically has the better chance of survival for 5 years, the "prepper" with the food or someone who had a couple of cans of soup in the cupboards and a gallon of milk in the refrigerator?

Survival is never assured in any situation with any amount of preparation. But the ODDS of survivability are increased in the presence of food. The odds of starvation are increased in the absence of food. It's that simple. Those of us who store food are not stupid--we understand this principle. It's the same as someone driving down a lonely winter highway and their car blows up--is that person more likely to make it through the night if he/she has a winter coat or if he/she does not have a winter coat? Preparation for whatever it is we are discussing will ALWAYS increase the odds of a successful outcome. Who has a better chance of finishing a marathon, the person who prepared for it or the person who spent the months doing nothing except disparaging those who did prepare for the marathon?

Besides, do you have any idea how much money I save in buying large quantities of bulk foods (I'm talking basics like wheat, rice, beans, oats, etc)? I can eat a week on the amount of money it takes for one trip to McDonalds if I really stretch it. There are other, just as appealing, reasons to live this lifestyle--it's not just because we all think the world is going to disintegrate tomorrow afternoon. Indeed, I'm more of a "frugalist" than I am a "sufficiencist" (small home, small expenses, small habits, small income, small life). It just so happens the two lifestyles share many aspects (or at least they can). They complement one another.

Old 11-26-2012, 06:26 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,919,820 times
Quote:
It depends.... Who says China will be doing well? If a space rock is it or Yellow Stone is China won't be doing well either.

OR it could be China isn't doing well now economically. If they fail we will fail for sure, and if we fail China will fail for sure. That would be man made and very insanely stupid but man kind IS insanely stupid, with silly laws and silly money, not one other creature on earth needs or uses.

If it as simple as no one play money is worth as much as ours is now at about 4 cents a dollar in real value, ten a thing like that won't bother me..

Besides a few cans of food I have a garden that feeds 3 from harvest to past harvest, in fact to night the veggies are from not this past summer, but the summer before..

I still have maple syrup from 09 too and each year since. At the rate we use that I could go a few more years with out tapping another tree. I don't plan to tap any tree this coming Spring either, and because i just don't want to this time.

In a serious SHTF no body better bother me.... If you would insist it would be best to make a hell of a lot of noise from a good distance before i can smell you...

You better check from a good distance if i seem friendly on that day and hollering Mac might help.

I get pretty ugly as it is, and in SHTF you could be made into something

Old 11-15-2013, 12:40 AM

14 posts, read 26,602 times
Latest update you see every one ignoring me. Not a problem because i am working on a new psychological cloaking method. It seems to be working. I think i now can say pretty well anything and no one will read it. Alas i am on to something. Internet privacy.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:45 AM

14 posts, read 26,602 times
Better yet if ATHEISTS are ignoring me i must be a god. Hence i have finally proven the existence of god/gods. If an atheist ignores something then something divine is near.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness