Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 12:57 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times

Advertisements

Now the reason I posted here today is fooling around in google I found reference to the Chinese pulling out the stock market.

That might be worth a look No?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 08:18 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
I recently saw this short video clip on the BBC and thought it was worth sharing. It makes some very good points though most of it is general background information.

BBC News - America's fascination with the apocalypse
Why is Utah always ground zero for this kind of stuff? Just because we habitually have basements full of food storage and closets full of AR15's to protect it doesn't mean we're all a bunch of crazies... I think.

Anyway, I see our culture as a bit Viking-ish...we know Ragnarok is coming... but hell, that's tomorrow and we've got things to do today!

Old 08-17-2012, 08:32 PM

Chango , Did you know you can get better and colder beer in Salt Lake City that any place in west Texas?

I loved the Viking

Old 08-17-2012, 08:56 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Chango , Did you know you can get better and colder beer in Salt Lake City that any place in west Texas?

I loved the Viking
You must have got something smuggled in from Nevada or Wyoming then.

Old 08-17-2012, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
You must have got something smuggled in from Nevada or Wyoming then.
yeah it was a little different. I was a guest of a local, and he bought the beer for me while he had none.

Old 08-25-2012, 09:30 AM

8,044 posts, read 10,635,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Thing is, I just cannot relate to most of what our society has become. But, yeah, there is not much of anything that appeals to me about where we are in history at this point, nor the apparent direction we are going. As I've said a million times, my strategy is simply to ignore it and extract myself from it as much as possible. Problem is, the powers that be seem to be making that harder and harder to do as time goes by, and society itself seems to demand conformity in thought, belief, philosophy, opinion, and even action, more and more and more.
These are simple statements, but so true.

Old 08-26-2012, 01:27 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,907,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post

Unfortunately two of my properties are in Texas and it would take the money of Stephen Spielberg to pay my taxes for a long, long time.
Texas does have very high property tax rates. They always find a way to get their money in the end. Some people focus just on income taxes but there are a ton of other taxes or "fees" they can use to hit you with.

Old 08-26-2012, 01:41 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,907,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Now the reason I posted here today is fooling around in google I found reference to the Chinese pulling out the stock market.

That might be worth a look No?
I know this was from a couple of weeks ago but from what I heard the Chinese government passed new rules about how much equity developers and borrowers need to have in their projects back in China. This is an attempt by the central government to deflate China's property bubble by requiring builders and financiers to put more of their own money into projects plus they're requiring buyers to put more of a down payment (25%) as well as qualify for shorter loan periods (five years is max in China where as 30 year loans are normal in the US). That means people in China need a whole lot more cash to cover their obligations so they're selling off foreign investments (a huge chunk of which are in the US) to raise the cash to cover those debt obligations.

That said, most Chinese money is going to stay here simply because most of it is in the hands of either the Chinese government or Chinese government owned companies and they have no choice but to invest their dollars in the US or else the currency exchange rates will shift and that would result in the yuan rising and unemployment going up in China. Since there is no unemployment insurance or social safety net the last thing the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) wants is to see unemployment go up as that would cause social unrest. In short, they have to keep replowing the money they make from exports back into the US because if that's the only way they can maintain their fixed exchange rates.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:48 PM

72 posts, read 77,746 times
everyone who "thinks" that he needs 2000+ rds of centerfire rifle and pistol ammo for shtf, not just because he reloads and has that much brass and spare time, is right up there with such nutjobs.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:19 PM

29 posts, read 60,693 times
It's an ugly world out there, all right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness