Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 07:53 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,581,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
I think you misunderstood or I didn't explain myself correctly. What I should have said was being able to sleep in an EMF free environment;
You may wish to construct a Faraday cage around your bed then.

Electro motive/electro magnetic forces come from natural sources as well.

EMF Explained Series - What is EMF? - L2

A Faraday cage catches the EMF and takes it to ground, so no radio waves or whatever will reach you.
However, radiation in the form of heat and light can still get in, so you still aren't completly protected.

Maybe a lead lined vault...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 03:32 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,946,745 times
Best of both worlds -- the outhouse and honey bucket combo! Use the outhouse outdoors when it's warm and light, use the bucket indoors when it's cold and dark (then empty it in the outhouse). Wash & rinse bucket with a little soap and rainwater or greywater... commonly, honey buckets washed and rinsed when emptying the kitchen/dishwater bucket.

Cure for frost-bitten buttocks -- carve your winter outhouse seat out of foamboard insulation and/or string a rope handle on it to bring it inside between uses.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:53 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,457,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
You may wish to construct a Faraday cage around your bed then.

Electro motive/electro magnetic forces come from natural sources as well.

EMF Explained Series - What is EMF? - L2

A Faraday cage catches the EMF and takes it to ground, so no radio waves or whatever will reach you.
However, radiation in the form of heat and light can still get in, so you still aren't completly protected.

Maybe a lead lined vault...
I know that for a lot of Californians who couldn't opt out of Smart Meters on their electrical service who are sensitive to EMFs have had to do exactly that. So don't laugh. The strength of the EMFs multiplies exponentially to where just in an average sized house it is like living and sleeping near 16 live cell phones. Then the more homes in the neighborhood, the worse it is for each individual house by tens or hundreds fold!

Old 10-02-2012, 01:48 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,275,241 times
Quote:
I know that for a lot of Californians who couldn't opt out of Smart Meters on their electrical service who are sensitive to EMFs have had to do exactly that. So don't laugh. The strength of the EMFs multiplies exponentially to where just in an average sized house it is like living and sleeping near 16 live cell phones. Then the more homes in the neighborhood, the worse it is for each individual house by tens or hundreds fold!
LOL...

If you believe this I have a bridge to sell you.

If there are two radio frequencies crossing the same point at the same time then the overall signal at that point is additive. If for example there are two signals and they're crossing that same point at maximum amplitude then the total energy will add together. However since they're sending data the possibility that they're sending the same signal at the same time and you happen to be standing at a point where the superposition of those two signals combines to form a larger signal is negligible. I'm simplifying too because I'm ignoring polarization on the transmission vectors of the signals, which means it's really worst case.

However by the same token if there are two signals where the maximum amplitude of one crosses the same point as the minimum of another they combine to form a much lower total energy at that point.

So no it's not exponential, it's linear at best, and only linear at the maximum energy density, which is unlikely to occur at any point in time given they're all sending random pieces of information as a burst transmission of 2 to 20 milliseconds. Exponential would mean for instance that the power density would go from 1 watt, to 10 watts, to 100 watts with the addition of transmitters of the same power, this is patently absurd. For instance a 6MW radar transmitter on a ship when running would add to the other radar transmitters (from others in the fleet, and additional transmitters on that ship, i.e. Multifunction Radar, Air-Search radar, etc.) to create energy densities that would easily lead to plasma formation in the air from them doing radar sweeps, and you don't see lightning storms inside naval battle groups.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:45 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times
This woman is ko-ko. Where did she get the money to buy the land? What will she do is someone is sick? This is fantasy land. Who made her clothes, grew the cotton, Etc?

Old 10-03-2012, 10:38 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,752,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
Best of both worlds -- the outhouse and honey bucket combo! Use the outhouse outdoors when it's warm and light, use the bucket indoors when it's cold and dark (then empty it in the outhouse). Wash & rinse bucket with a little soap and rainwater or greywater... commonly, honey buckets washed and rinsed when emptying the kitchen/dishwater bucket.

Cure for frost-bitten buttocks -- carve your winter outhouse seat out of foamboard insulation and/or string a rope handle on it to bring it inside between uses.
I have a for-pee-only bucket that I use in our cabin, pretty easy to manage.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:29 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,946,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
I have a for-pee-only bucket that I use in our cabin, pretty easy to manage.
Yep - we have a separate 3 gallon pee-tainer as well as a 6 gallon poo bucket indoors, and they're both easy enough to manage (even wearing heavy winter gloves) as long as we don't let them get too full/heavy.

In 3 years, the only "inconvenience" we've experienced not having flush toilets and a septic tank is remembering to check and empty buckets... um, maybe a sum total of 10-15 minutes a week. Of course, we don't consider having to deal with our own urine and excrement horrifying like many do

Old 10-04-2012, 07:37 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,457,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
LOL...

If you believe this I have a bridge to sell you.

If there are two radio frequencies crossing the same point at the same time then the overall signal at that point is additive. If for example there are two signals and they're crossing that same point at maximum amplitude then the total energy will add together. However since they're sending data the possibility that they're sending the same signal at the same time and you happen to be standing at a point where the superposition of those two signals combines to form a larger signal is negligible. I'm simplifying too because I'm ignoring polarization on the transmission vectors of the signals, which means it's really worst case.

However by the same token if there are two signals where the maximum amplitude of one crosses the same point as the minimum of another they combine to form a much lower total energy at that point.

So no it's not exponential, it's linear at best, and only linear at the maximum energy density, which is unlikely to occur at any point in time given they're all sending random pieces of information as a burst transmission of 2 to 20 milliseconds. Exponential would mean for instance that the power density would go from 1 watt, to 10 watts, to 100 watts with the addition of transmitters of the same power, this is patently absurd. For instance a 6MW radar transmitter on a ship when running would add to the other radar transmitters (from others in the fleet, and additional transmitters on that ship, i.e. Multifunction Radar, Air-Search radar, etc.) to create energy densities that would easily lead to plasma formation in the air from them doing radar sweeps, and you don't see lightning storms inside naval battle groups.
Still, if there are 500 homes in a neighborhood that have it and they are all connected to each other that means they are all getting 500 the strength they'd have if the homes weren't connected. Granted, it isn't exponential but it may as well be. After enduring 5 or 10 times the normal strength, anything much beyond that is intolerable and shouldn't be anything we should be expected to not only tolerate but PAY MONEY for. Anyone who wants to should be able to OPT OUT at no cost.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:47 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,275,241 times
Quote:
Still, if there are 500 homes in a neighborhood that have it and they are all connected to each other that means they are all getting 500 the strength they'd have if the homes weren't connected. Granted, it isn't exponential but it may as well be. After enduring 5 or 10 times the normal strength, anything much beyond that is intolerable and shouldn't be anything we should be expected to not only tolerate but PAY MONEY for. Anyone who wants to should be able to OPT OUT at no cost.
The power density from any transmitter follows an inverse square law called free space path loss (I'm again simplifying for the non-technical)

Here's the equation (credit to Wikipedia for the equation image)

S is the spatial power density in watts per square meter, a Smart meter has a transmitter of at most 1 Watt (that's the Pt), that will transmit several times per day for at most 20 milliseconds per burst (the rest of the time it's off). That's a total of 140mS exposure per day per transmitter, and the power you're exposed to is tiny, there are 86.4 Million milliseconds per day, so your exposure will be at most 70 seconds per day from 500 transmitters (assuming they're all entirely on different cycles) or 0.08% of the day, AND as I said the power you're exposed to is mininscule, at 10' distance you're only receiving at most an 8mW/m^2 power density and that is peak power output which is never used when transmitting data. For comparison your refrigerator at about 1 foot generates around 3mG (milliGauss), or 71,000 mW/m^2 that's nearly 9000 times more spatial power density than a Smart Meter at 10', betcha have a fridge though.

So if you have an issue with Smart Meters, you should also have a problem with refrigerators, and your neighbors having refrigerators since they're also outputting an EMF that will be effecting you, which is also outputting much more power than a Smart Meter (it's like an 80 Watt transmitter). So you can do your own math (using the Equation above with Pt being 80, and convert all feet distances to meters) to figure out how much EMF you're exposed to from your neighbors fridge if you desire, and compare it to a Smart Meter at 10'.

NOTE: I'm referring to 10' distance as the minimum feasible distance that anyone would ever be from their meter under normal circumstances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness