Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 02:32 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,924,682 times

Advertisements

Romney and taxes are OFF-TOPIC to the OP -- take it offline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 05:38 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,220,760 times
Sorry! I know better than to follow rabbit trails.

(I'm surprised you let it carry on this long, actually... )

Old 10-03-2012, 07:59 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,562,278 times
Now, although you've never been clear on the question you seem to be a farmer. So in terms of fundamental knowledge where do you rate in chemistry and physics, both background and knowledge.? Missing gave us an excellent link to courses. Have you looked at it?

Are you a have or a have not in your occupation? That's what this thread is about.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:44 PM

are you talking to me??
I'm the 8th response in the thread, on the very first page... But the original article really has nothing whatsoever to do with either physics OR chemistry--it's about computers and technology.
Was the above post supposed to be in this thread?

Old 10-03-2012, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
are you talking to me??
I'm the 8th response in the thread, on the very first page... But the original article really has nothing whatsoever to do with either physics OR chemistry--it's about computers and technology.
Was the above post supposed to be in this thread?
Yes, I'm talking to you. The article used computers as an example but was clearly about a scientific education. It was not about monetary or fiscal policy.

I'm trying to bring this thread back to its original purpose because a background in science and the liberal arts will determine who wins and who loses now that it's obvious we're living in a Depression and there's no end in sight. This could be a great thread.

Now let's see who here is likely to be a have. Then let's ask him or her why.

I'm selective with technology as I am with everything else. I see no reason to have a smart phone or a laptop. But I have a basic phone and I am fairly certain I'll buy the new Kindle Parperwhite. I can save big money on certain current books and I believe this device should allow me to add historical reference works published prior to 1923. As I believe most of you know I don't subscribe to the theory that the world will return to the Stone Age and all artifacts will somehow disappear but there will still be people who are alive.

We should have a groundng in the history of science and technology and use older technology when it's more useful than what's current. Sometimes, however, current technology is best.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:08 AM

I really think you might need to re-read the article.
It was about technology. Science/math was just a footnote. (Not to mention, the author was very clear that he thinks liberal arts are pointless)
And as mentioned, I posted on the very first page with my opinion of it. Before any of the folks who brought up all this malarkey about taxes, btw.

To my own use of technology to generate personal income (since that's what the article was about, not the mere usage of technology)--In addition to other streams, both from myself as well as my husband, I have a well-established online store where I've been doing business globally for over 10 years. According the article, that would make me a "have," I guess.

I'm not seeing where the presence or absence of a smart-phone or a laptap is relevant to the topic, though...The article had nothing to do with using technology for toys or research, it was about income.

How about you?
Do you derive any of your income from marketing or product development via technology (ie, are you a "have")?

Old 10-04-2012, 11:11 AM

25,484 posts, read 18,618,666 times
Quote:
Do you derive any of your income from marketing or product development via technology (ie, are you a "have")?
Yipes.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:14 AM

1,677 posts, read 1,665,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Yes, I'm talking to you. The article used computers as an example but was clearly about a scientific education. It was not about monetary or fiscal policy.

I'm trying to bring this thread back to its original purpose because a background in science and the liberal arts will determine who wins and who loses now that it's obvious we're living in a Depression and there's no end in sight. This could be a great thread.

Now let's see who here is likely to be a have. Then let's ask him or her why.

I'm selective with technology as I am with everything else. I see no reason to have a smart phone or a laptop. But I have a basic phone and I am fairly certain I'll buy the new Kindle Parperwhite. I can save big money on certain current books and I believe this device should allow me to add historical reference works published prior to 1923.
Yes on both saving $$ on current works and on acquiring works pre-1923. However, you can add those works to a laptop or desktop, and on a smartphone which of course means you could use one device instead of the two you will end up having. As you know, works published in the US prior to 1923 are in the public domain and you can add them free of charge. You don't have to go with the Kindle when there are many other devices (tablets, netbooks, etc.) in comparable price ranges with better technology and can do that and more - or, again, even on a laptop or desktop. If you need more info on that, feel free to DM me.

Quote:
As I believe most of you know I don't subscribe to the theory that the world will return to the Stone Age and all artifacts will somehow disappear but there will still be people who are alive.

We should have a groundng in the history of science and technology and use older technology when it's more useful than what's current. Sometimes, however, current technology is best.
Absolutely.

Quote:
I'm trying to bring this thread back to its original purpose because a background in science and the liberal arts will determine who wins and who loses now that it's obvious we're living in a Depression and there's no end in sight.
As it relates to the topic of the OP article and if anyone is interested: There are several universities that offer free online courses. For example, Harvard is currently offering a free online course in computer programming.

Old 10-04-2012, 12:50 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,665,895 times
Quote:
I have a well-established online store where I've been doing business globally for over 10 years. According the article, that would make me a "have," I guess.

It's ironic. Creating your own business makes you the target enemy for most of those identifying themselves as have nots.

Old 10-04-2012, 01:42 PM

Quote:
How about you?
Indeed, I do. I have a psychic consulting business and while most of my clients are in North America I do get them from the whole world.

We're both "haves" along with that math professsor hiding behind the couch.

A tecnical education teaches how; a liberal arts education teaches why. Every educated person needs to learn bot.

Last edited by Happy in Wyoming; 10-04-2012 at 02:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness